PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Ruby Rose
Nov 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Actually, I sent him this:

"ha ha ha! Don't take on the Vegans for an argument about eating animals, Pop!! :)

1) Your hunter gatherer ancestors also used to sacrifice children, bash each other's brains out with clubs, and starve to death in harsh winters! I'd say we've all moved on a bit from this, and don't need to do any of it any more.
2) Our teeth are not carnivore teeth, they are primate teeth. They are identical to the teeth of our nearest genetic relatives, gorillas and other apes... who are all vegetarian. And so yes, our teeth are designed for chomping vegetation, and not for ripping out the jugular of deer!
3) Nope, I don't wear any animal products at all - not leather, wool or silk. No need to when there are plenty of other choices!
4) Our intestines and teeth indicate that man is broadly vegetarian by nature, but yes, meat-eating by choice. And it's a poor health choice at that.
5) Yes, I think everyone has the right to make their own food choices up to the point where it impacts the planet's survival, and intensive animal farming uses up a scandalous amount of the earth's resources.

Hee hee! Enjoy your day, Pop!
Love"

Stu
Nov 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
You're a legend, RR.

BlackCats
Nov 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
*sigh* Recent email from my dad:
"I come from a long line of hunter-gatherers. They hunted animals for food. Sometimes the roles were reversed. Did you think we had teeth just to chomp on vegetables? And anyway even though you don't eat them I guess you wear them in some form or other. The bottom line is that man is carnivorous by nature and mostly by choice. I don't eat horses or dogs by choice but I don't have a problem if somebody else wants to dine on them.
I might just send you a nosebag for your birthday!
Love you,
Dad xxx "

That sounds exactly like something my Dad would say.:rolleyes: Luckily I don't talk to him anymore, not that I'm suggesting that as a solution.:D Your reply was great RR.

emzy1985
Nov 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Actually, I sent him this:

"ha ha ha! Don't take on the Vegans for an argument about eating animals, Pop!! :)

1) Your hunter gatherer ancestors also used to sacrifice children, bash each other's brains out with clubs, and starve to death in harsh winters! I'd say we've all moved on a bit from this, and don't need to do any of it any more.
2) Our teeth are not carnivore teeth, they are primate teeth. They are identical to the teeth of our nearest genetic relatives, gorillas and other apes... who are all vegetarian. And so yes, our teeth are designed for chomping vegetation, and not for ripping out the jugular of deer!
3) Nope, I don't wear any animal products at all - not leather, wool or silk. No need to when there are plenty of other choices!
4) Our intestines and teeth indicate that man is broadly vegetarian by nature, but yes, meat-eating by choice. And it's a poor health choice at that.
5) Yes, I think everyone has the right to make their own food choices up to the point where it impacts the planet's survival, and intensive animal farming uses up a scandalous amount of the earth's resources.

Hee hee! Enjoy your day, Pop!
Love"

Awesome!

bradders
Nov 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
today some fool said this:
'but isn't seaweed like lobster and fish and stuff, you can't have that surely"
:amazed_ani:

I did put her straight but really, I now wonder if she can be trusted to sit the right way around on the toilet

Stu
Nov 8th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Heh!

I read the first bit of your post in Mr. T's voice.

bradders
Nov 8th, 2008, 10:50 PM
'Ah piddy the fool who say tha-at!'

harpy
Nov 9th, 2008, 12:40 AM
My other half is veggie not vegan, so this probably doesn't count, but some of the people at work were asking him the other day if he'd ever consider eating meat :rolleyes: Apparently he had the presence of mind to say that if he was ever that desperate he'd consider eating them (the people at work) so now they are giving him funny looks :D

bradders
Nov 9th, 2008, 12:45 AM
My other half is veggie not vegan, so this probably doesn't count, but some of the people at work were asking him the other day if he'd ever consider eating meat :rolleyes: Apparently he had the presence of mind to say that if he was ever that desperate he'd consider eating them (the people at work) so now they are giving him funny looks :D

ha ha, loving the response there

Linus
Nov 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I was recently asked if I'd eat spirulina. That one required some research on my part... :)

bradders
Nov 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM
well as it's cyanobacteria I would have thought there to be no problem, if you like eating algae

Linus
Nov 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
well as it's cyanobacteria I would have thought there to be no problem, if you like eating algae

The problem is that spirulina has some characteristics of plants, and some of animals... at least in the eyes of some. :cool:

BJJNick
Nov 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM

I would agree with him though. If I was forced to eat an innocent animal, or some jerk human, I'd choose the human. And then spend the rest of the day chilling with the nice animal.

bradders
Nov 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
did not know that, from my reading I've only seen it to be a free floating filamentous algae. No central nervous system, reproduces using a form of mitosis (breaks a bit of itself off and that becomes another one). Similar to plankton. I have taken it in the past for a number of health reasons not least its affects on the HIV virus and reducing the risks of full infection in the human body and preventing HIV T- cell reproduction. As a man who is sexually active with other men it is something that has the potential to save my life.

clare155
Nov 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM
did not know that, from my reading I've only seen it to be a free floating filamentous algae. No central nervous system, reproduces using a form of mitosis (breaks a bit of itself off and that becomes another one). Similar to plankton. I have taken it in the past for a number of health reasons not least its affects on the HIV virus and reducing the risks of full infection in the human body and preventing HIV T- cell reproduction. As a man who is sexually active with other men it is something that has the potential to save my life.

Thats really interesting Bradders, hadnt heard about its affect on the HIV virus before :)

bradders
Nov 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
there's quite a bit of research on it. some results were questionable due to the lack of a control group but the HIV research seems to stand up so it can be used as part of a wider strategy to prevent catching the disease including green tea (that one shocked me but it can reduce risks by as much as 50%) and circumcision (again reduces risks by around 50% but they had to stop the study early as it was unethical to deny such an effective preventative measure to the control group so they offered all participants circumcisions)
It's also a source of complete protein too.
But if people are not comfortable with it then they should not compromise their beliefs. I just believe it to be an algae, neither plant nor animal in much the same way as a mushroom is not a plant or an animal.

Linus
Nov 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
The reason that some people claim that it has some characteristics of animals is that it can move about to some degree - not the most informed way to determine membership in the animal kingdom... :cool:

I came to the same conclusion as you - that it is not an animal, and there is no cruelty or suffering involved in eating it.

bradders
Nov 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
i guess that you could argue that a venus fly trap displays some animal characteristics by the same idea, but I don't, each to there own on this one

Elahiya
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
i canīt believe what i was asked today. actually, those were questions i had long time ago in germany. but now it hit me again, asked by a colleague, which seems to be a bit naive in general to be honest...

"you donīt even have beef? you donīt have honey? can you have chocolate? can you go shopping to something like tesco? what do you have with your pasta?":rollseyes_ani:

i was glad there was another colleague, who intervented a bit and also came up with some answers. didnīt know she was vegan as well. but i was very glad she was there, cus during my break at work i just wanted to rest a bit and not answer some of these silly questions...

mariana
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Elahiya, I thought Lydia's question yesterday ('Can vegans drink alcohol?') was pretty funny. :p But she's so sweet and the question was funny so I forgive her. :)

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
yes and we love it

mariana
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hehe, yeah, if she came to a meet-up she wouldn't ask that question! :p:D

bradders
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
hmm indeed how does that saying go when you're in camden beer beofre wine, you'll be fine wine before beer before vodka before beer, before beer, hic hic hic, erm beer, beer, beer lol

Elahiya
Nov 16th, 2008, 11:39 PM
LOL mariana, uīre so right!!!

as everyone can see, it doesnīt matter where u are, u are always again and again asked the same stupid questions. i know, veganism isnīt that popular everywhere yet, but there are other opportunities from where to obtain information nowadays. i also think itīll be similar to vegetarianism earlier. it took some time until people understood what it is and it is more commo today. i hope itīll be the same with veganism on one day and that more people just start to THINK.

Declan
Nov 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
This was an interesting one a couple of weeks ago. After giving a talk on Veganism in Italian, wearing my University of Glasgow Vegan Society t-shirt, giving out vegan chocolate and having vegan cook books on display, the tutor (this was in a tutorial) asks at the end "E tu sei vegano?" (And are /you/ a vegan?). Um, hello??