PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

cobweb
Dec 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
i still get asked what i can eat (even though i'm struggling to keep my weight down :sad:)
i think it's such a stoopid question that i usually start listing it all, they soon get bored! :o

Quantum Mechanic
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
i still get asked what i can eat (even though i'm struggling to keep my weight down :sad:)
i think it's such a stoopid question that i usually start listing it all, they soon get bored! :o

I would probably say that, "well, for Christmas dinner we had short notice so we cobbled together a lasagna and vegan cheesecake and we all had that and it was so much yum."

Ecco Flint
Dec 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
i get asked alot: "if you were on an island with a pig, and there was no food...would you eat it?"

after i then ask them: "would you eat your brother if you were on an island with no food?" gaining a responce of : "its a different thing!"

"its still murder" i say wittingly

"hahahahahahahaqha you gay, its only a pig"

"your only homosapian (however you spell that), what makes you god?"

"shut up you f****** looser, hahahhahahahaha" they groan their murderious ignorant vulgar words

i walk of, thinking there is no point in talking to someone who is not even willing to have a sensible discussion.

horselesspaul
Dec 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
This has been well, if overly, debated here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481).

Ecco Flint
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:49 PM
This has been well, if overly, debated here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481).

thanks, i thought it would be...its all i seem to be bloody asked. but what i'm trying to get at is, there is no point in trying to make people think who dont have an opened mind.

not that its the most silly question i have beeen asked. the most being: "does that mean you cant have oral with a girl" (thats a euphemism).

p.s. sorry not my words just quoting.

p.s.s. brighton has some awsom places for vegans!

horselesspaul
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
The more concerned others are with these type of stupid questions, the more they know deep down that veganism makes sense but are trying to repress it, I find.

Roxy
Dec 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
so if someone says they've been drinking yak milk.......

*snigger*:D

Loss
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
My flatemate's carnivore friends were over for New Year's dinner yesterday night. I went for a second to my room and I overheard them talking about me and the fact that I wasn't going to eat lasagna. Those idiots burst out with stuff like "Well just tell her this bechamel is made with soymilk, it's not like she'll notice!" and "Won't someone PLEASE tell her that cows NEED to be milked or else they'll die?". Luckily I'm a peaceful person and I just pretended I didn't hear - but I really wanted to smash their empty heads against the oven -_-

BJJNick
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
My flatemate's carnivore friends were over for New Year's dinner yesterday night. I went for a second to my room and I overheard them talking about me and the fact that I wasn't going to eat lasagna. Those idiots burst out with stuff like "Well just tell her this bechamel is made with soymilk, it's not like she'll notice!" and "Won't someone PLEASE tell her that cows NEED to be milked or else they'll die?". Luckily I'm a peaceful person and I just pretended I didn't hear - but I really wanted to smash their empty heads against the oven -_-

Should have confronted them and ruined the night. That'll learn them.

Loss
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Should have confronted them and ruined the night. That'll learn them.
I know, I know. But it was me against 13 meat-lovers, and many of them were self-centered idiots. I tend to get very upset and emotional in these situations, and I'm scared that because of me veganism could come across as something stupid.
:(

BJJNick
Jan 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Ouch. 13 of them. That's horribly rude of them to act that way...

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:02 AM

I hear/read that one about cows needing to be milked a lot, and where someone will observe a cow on a farm, where they're allowed to be relatively on the open and then come back to be milked, and they took this as "proof" that cows need to be milked by humans or they'll die or something. What thought didn't occur was where that milk would've gone to if not collected by the humans, and where those calves were taken to...

~Lyns~
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hmm well on going to the pub last night and meeting up with some of my partners friends of whom he hasnt seen for like five years some how they get talking about pizza and of course someone asks my opinion. Well my DP jumps in and says i am vegan (he is an omni :() and so of course the convo changes to lets hassle lyns about being vegan my DP even though he is an omni always stands up for my veganism :) But it was honestly the worst hour of my life i was about to throw my drink on the lady .. but then thought it would be a right waste of malibu and decided to drink it instead !! But anyhow the male friend had never even heard of a vegan before so was actually interested and was asking all the questions of which i was happy to entertain even if it was draining the whole "so what do you eat ?" and then after explaining veganism he goes "so what meat can you eat?" .. my jaw almost hit the floor .. but i just smiled sweetly and was like well as i said before i do not consume any animal product what so ever so none !! The female friend however just decides to sit there and shout at me for an hour telling me its wrong and that we have always eaten meat its the right thing to do blah blah blah and then decides to try and make a profound statement to back herself by staring me in the eyes and going .. but what about the dying children. And she said it with such a way that it was meant to convince me to go have a glass of milk. I was just like wtf ?! And proceeded to tell her that the world could cater to feed alot more people if we werent using so much grain to feed the animals you are about to eat. I also then procceeded to tell her that even if the whole world was vegan there would still be children dying in an unjust way because it the human race and regardless of what we eat we are a self centered race of which will always kill their own. Sorry this has turned in to such a rant but that was the worst hour of my life. What a horrible world we live in that we cant be accepted for who we are. I mean my veganism is in no way affecting anyone else. Im not telling other people to become a vegan (even if i would love the whole world to become vegan i dont say it to omni's !) im sat here with my own morales letting other people have theres. Its a sad place when you fear telling people who you are because you know they disagree *sigh*

Kitteh
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
But of course none of that is relevant because "God says it's okay to eat meat in the Bible!" Well, people have used the Bible to justify slavery and homophobia, so while I'm religious that "argument" doesn't convince me...

I was at a fine food show about 1.5 years ago and a lady had offered my Dad and I some chocolate. Before trying it I checked that it was dairy free, they said "yes but we have milk chocolate", I replied "no thanks, I don't consume dairy" and was asked if it was because I was intolerant. I said, "no I'm vegan". One of them then asked "how can you be vegan, it's in the Bible that God wants us to eat meat". I said because "I think it is the right thing for me to do & that might be what Christians think and even though I am Catholic that book was written by a bunch of guys and I am not going to let it dictate how I live my life. Also it was written a long time ago and I don't believe a God is going to send me to hell for allowing a few more animals to run around alive rather than be killed".
Another of her colleagues told her not to argue with me as it's a personal viewpoint but she then tried to say something about "when God sent down the birds to the desert" blah blahblah... I tuned out and smiled and said thanks and that was it. I kept thinking about it, but it's not worth getting angry over it or trying to argue with someone like that.
And at the end she did say "oh well as long as you are happy and you certainly look healthy" so hopefully she remembers that there are happy, healthy vegans.

Buddha Belly
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
If they absolutely just must believe that Hitler was vegetarian, then you can reverse the above - say, for instance, that the person you're talking to is male, and you say "So if you, a male, robbed a bank then that means nobody should be male because obviously men are very bad?"

I read a book that said that Hitler was only a 'vegetarian' part of the time and ate meat sparingly as he saw meat as a food that disrupted the thought processes. The vegetarian myth was spread as further proof that he was insane, apparently over 6 million murders is not quite enough.
He was a very strong anti smoker, should we as a group take up smoking to not be associated with Nazism?

harpy
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:01 AM
You certainly seem to be having a run of bad-omnivore luck at the moment, Lyns! Maybe next time you could just say that as they're interested in veganism you'll be happy to send them some information about it, and then try to change the subject? At least the bloke did manifest some kind of interest and wasn't just after a fight.

~Lyns~
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Thanks Harpy, I like that idea :D Yes i sure am having a run of bad luck with omnis its making me consider just living on hear and only talking to my wonderful fellow vegans.

buttons
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM
The female friend however just decides to sit there and shout at me for an hour telling me its wrong and that we have always eaten meat its the right thing to do blah blah blah and then decides to try and make a profound statement to back herself by staring me in the eyes and going .. but what about the dying children. And she said it with such a way that it was meant to convince me to go have a glass of milk. *sigh*

That, right there, is like something right out of The Simpsons. "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!"

That argument is as faulty and manipulative as comparing someone to Hitler!

bradders
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
when people start that I riposte with my own false silligism such as: meat eaters eat meat, people get killed by meat eaters, you are a meat eater therefore you kill people. Or the journalists favourite, 'Yes or No, do you still beet up old people?'
Whatever answer is delivered ultimately condemns the individual.

BJJNick
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I was at a little get together this weekend with people that are a lot older than me and my girl. Well, someone drops the V word and here we go. Them being people of a different generation I knew it would be almost unaccepted by them for me to be vegan. My favorite question was, "where do you get your protein?". I responded by lifting up my plate that had some fruit salad on it and saying, "right here." Her response, "No."

My girlfriend basically jumped in between us and shushed her because I was going to go on a rant. It ended up that a bunch of the older women went into a secluded room and talked about us all night. My gf walked in there at one point and they immediately jumped all over her about veganism.

It's so messed up that THEY are the murderers but WE are the weirdos...

BlackCats
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
The female friend however just decides to sit there and shout at me for an hour telling me its wrong and that we have always eaten meat its the right thing to do blah blah blah and then decides to try and make a profound statement to back herself by staring me in the eyes and going .. but what about the dying children. And she said it with such a way that it was meant to convince me to go have a glass of milk. I was just like wtf ?!

What about the dying children? :p It's not as if vegans stop eating animals and have decided to eat children instead!:dizzy:

Zero
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Argh damn! You mean vegans aren't supposed to eat children? I've been doing it wrong all this time! :p

harpy
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
:D The more I think about Lyns' conversation, the less I understand the logic of the "dying children" remark.

Gorilla
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
i'm so glad i don't come across people like so many of you have been describing. it makes me realise how lucky i am that people i mix with are usually either accepting or don't bring it up. i'd go crazy having to listen to these sorts of arguments. :mad:

i'm baffled by the 'dying children' remark too - i'd have asked her to expand on it, not that she'd have a valid argument but i'd just be intrigued to know what the hell she was on about! perhaps she thought that because you care about animals, you don't care about humans (a common misconception among omnis, i've found). perhaps she was trying to make you feel guilty by implying you don't do enough to help humans in need. :confused:

Zero
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I would imagine her thought processes were headed towards something like "why care about animals when there are children starving in the world?" or some such speciesist argument about how humans are more important than other animals.

I've heard that one so many times when doing vegan outreach street stalls, but when you ask them what they are doing for starving children a blank look crosses their face and they change the subject slightly.