PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

squigaletta
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM
most likely I think is that in her mind those children would just love to eat some dead animal given the choice and chance, and because you have the chance to and don't it is wasteful and disrespectful to them. Kinda like...us living in the developed world but choosing to drink water that gives us typhoid.
Perhaps eating a healthy vegan diet and drinking fatal water is the same in her head.

buttons
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I think that she was just one of those people who want special snowflake points for putting a few coins in a tin every now and then. The idea that people can only *care* about one issue, let alone *do* something about it, boggles the mind. It also comes up in discussions about so called "women's issues" - how can you care about issue X or Y when there are homeless on the streets, etc.

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I think that she was just one of those people who want special snowflake points for putting a few coins in a tin every now and then. The idea that people can only *care* about one issue, let alone *do* something about it, boggles the mind. It also comes up in discussions about so called "women's issues" - how can you care about issue X or Y when there are homeless on the streets, etc.

That's completely illogical. I mean, besides the fact that one can support multiple causes (whether through the dollar donation or grassroots advocacy, or a mixture of both), animal rights has to be one of the causes with the simplest steps to implement (a vegan diet at least) to be "doing something" for it!

I mean, obviously someone who is in the habit of a standard omni diet isn't going to find it as easy as brushing teeth (which is a part of their current habits, I hope!), but it is quite easy to sustain, and in terms of comparing the effort involved to the amount of effort that would be in, say, getting involved in a local advocacy organization for X cause and taking a main role in it. To me it would be like saying, "Well, I can't end world hunger completely by myself, so I may as well just not care at all about it!"

pie
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
i get the children remark alot e.g 'there are more important issues like starving children' etc and i just reply 'yes and i don't eat children'! why do people assume just because we care about animals we don't care about children, i give evenly to animal and children charities, or choose one that helps both e.g brooke hospital for animals which helps to treat horses and donkeys and teach humans how to look after them.

BlackCats
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!??!?!

(:D)

I don't even see why we should be having to justify our lives to meat eaters anyway.:rollseyes_ani: They should be the ones feeling guilty haha.:p

Gorilla
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I don't even see why we should be having to justify our lives to meat eaters anyway.:rollseyes_ani: They should be the ones feeling guilty haha.:p

i think many of them do feel guilty, and that's exactly why they insist on asking us to justify ourselves.

Adelina
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
This is something from today:

"Adelina you say that you are a vegan, because you don't want to hurt animals, but when you eat vegetables do you know that you are hurting plants?"
I am confessing I had never hurt something as stupid as this in my whole life. I think that some people are becoming more and stupid every day. Of course the plants are not hurt, because they can't feel pain. They do not have got nervous system in contrast to the animals. But if we accept that the biology is wrong why when they are eaten by people they suffer, but when they are eaten by animals everything is OK? Because the animals in the farms are mostly fed with different types of plants.

Every day the questions are becoming more and more stupid and illogical

BJJNick
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
This morning at work I made a comment about the new generator that my company is running on. It uses vegetable oil. Pretty cool. Anyway, the thing failed for some reason and power went out for a minute, so I made a humorous comment about vegetable oil. One woman responds to me, "And what about those friggen vegetarians huh? They should be using lard in that generator."

I said, "huh???", stared at her blankly for like 30 seconds and then walked away.

Make sense of that!!

buttons
Jan 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM
"And what about those friggen vegetarians huh? They should be using lard in that generator."
...Make sense of that!!

Surely the thicker consistency of lard would clog it up or something? Not to to mention the possible odor issues!

I love entertaining those stupid statements as if they make a lick of sense!:D

Frosty
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Not really a stupid question, but at Christmas one of the managers (that no one likes) came into my office to drop cards off at my colleagues desk and she didn't put one on mine. She looked and saw that my desk was covered in cards and then said, "I didn't get you one, I didn't think you'd celebrate Christmas, with being vegan." :undecided: :dizzy: Whaaaaat?!?! There's not much you can say to that. I think I just frowned at her.

There was another time in the kitchen at work when she saw me heating up some soup and said "Soup. I wondered what it was that vegans ate." I replied with, "Yes, we only eat soup." I'm not sure she got my sarcasm :rolleyes:

DarmokTheGreen
Jan 11th, 2009, 12:17 PM
This is something from today:

"Adelina you say that you are a vegan, because you don't want to hurt animals, but when you eat vegetables do you know that you are hurting plants?"
I am confessing I had never hurt something as stupid as this in my whole life. I think that some people are becoming more and stupid every day. Of course the plants are not hurt, because they can't feel pain.

It could be that this person didn't think of "hurt" in terms of feeling pain, but just thought that you meant you didn't want to "break" or "damage" animals - that s/he didn't think you could mean that animals can be "hurt" in the way people are?

buttons
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Not really a stupid question, but at Christmas one of the managers (that no one likes) came into my office to drop cards off at my colleagues desk and she didn't put one on mine. She looked and saw that my desk was covered in cards and then said, "I didn't get you one, I didn't think you'd celebrate Christmas, with being vegan." :undecided: :dizzy: Whaaaaat?!?! There's not much you can say to that. I think I just frowned at her.:rolleyes:

There's a bit in the bible about people who don't eat no meat being "weak." Hmm...Maybe she though veganism is a religion? Or at least that non-omni= non-Christian?

Shrapnel
Jan 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
There's a bit in the bible about people who don't eat no meat being "weak." Hmm...Maybe she though veganism is a religion? Or at least that non-omni= non-Christian?

Huh, I never got that one, that I can't be a good Christian (or specifically Catholic) without eating meat. Though I have argued that you can't be a good Catholic and eat meat (that didn't go over so well).

Frosty
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Surely by choosing life, and by choosing not to inflict pain and suffering on other living beings, that would be a very Christian thing to do :umm:

Frosty
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Though I have argued that you can't be a good Catholic and eat meat (that didn't go over so well).

Coming from a Roman Catholic family I have had to bite my tongue on many occasions with regards to this arguement. I really cannot see how you can be pro-life and eat meat :hmm: Our old dog was put down, and I did start arguements by bringing up the hypocracy surrounding this, considering how anti-euthanasia my family is.

Shrapnel
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Surely by choosing life, and by choosing not to inflict pain and suffering on other living beings, that would be a very Christian thing to do :umm:

Yeah, but humans like to eat meat... so it's easier just to ignore that part about the don't inflict pain and suffering.

It's annoying how every week there is prayer to "Respect life in all of its forms." and then after mass there is a breakfast served with sausage, eggs and bacon O_o What part of respecting life in all its forms went over everyone's heads? When I brought this up, Dad tried to argue that you can respect life and still exploit it, which made no sense. When I asked him to elaborate, he got mad since he had no way to justify it (my brother used the argument about plants feel pain too). Mom just went with the argument about other animals aren't as intelligent... and then when I pointed out that her argument would allow for the consuming of the mentally impaired, as well as very young children, who have intelligence less than the pigs and cows we eat, she ran out of ways to support her argument and so resorted to yelling and accusing me of being judgmental.

Hemlock
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Not really a stupid question, but at Christmas one of the managers (that no one likes) came into my office to drop cards off at my colleagues desk and she didn't put one on mine. She looked and saw that my desk was covered in cards and then said, "I didn't get you one, I didn't think you'd celebrate Christmas, with being vegan." :undecided: :dizzy: Whaaaaat?!?! There's not much you can say to that. I think I just frowned at her.

That's hilarious, I didn't realise veganism was a non christian cult. Do we worship vegetables or something:confused:
Ultra scary that this idiot got a job managing other people.

TheAlterEgo
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
The stupidest thing I've heard so far has to be 'Soya milk comes from cows though doesn't it?' And that's why I stopped going to Starbucks.

Elahiya
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but humans like to eat meat... so it's easier just to ignore that part about the don't inflict pain and suffering.

It's annoying how every week there is prayer to "Respect life in all of its forms." and then after mass there is a breakfast served with sausage, eggs and bacon O_o What part of respecting life in all its forms went over everyone's heads? When I brought this up, Dad tried to argue that you can respect life and still exploit it, which made no sense. When I asked him to elaborate, he got mad since he had no way to justify it (my brother used the argument about plants feel pain too). Mom just went with the argument about other animals aren't as intelligent... and then when I pointed out that her argument would allow for the consuming of the mentally impaired, as well as very young children, who have intelligence less than the pigs and cows we eat, she ran out of ways to support her argument and so resorted to yelling and accusing me of being judgmental.

i had kind of the same debate with my parents on x-mas 2007. when they told me (while we were having a completely homemade vegan menu) that my aunt will be there two days later with THAT LARGE BIRD, i couldnīt withstand to say "oh yeah? i thought x-mas was a celebration of love. so much to that when u have dead beings on ur table, so this is not at all a bit about love" well, they felt offended although it was just a general statement of mine and so we had a pretty hard argument which went from a-z about anything, though it wasnīt that much about dead animals on oneīs plate anymore at the end.

in the meantime they have understood a bit more about being vegan and they just told me on x-mas they decided they donīt need meat anymore. they already leave out dairy (except for cheeses) and only have eggs sometimes. but iīm about to change that, too :D
my mother recently asked me about alternatives to gelatin! that was funny: she was at a health food store to get some dried one in order to prepare one of her strange fruit desserts. she took a look at the label and suddenly read "made of bones". that disgusted her so much that she left it. i wondered about it why she reacted like that now. she never thought about it so much earlier and now she reads labels more and more she gets more aware of it. iīm glad my parents are getting more open-minded and begin to think. it lookks like they go vegan step after step...

bradders
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:55 PM
The stupidest thing I've heard so far has to be 'Soya milk comes from cows though doesn't it?'
saints preserve us

TheAlterEgo
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah exactly. My boyfriend (who is veggie but not vegan) was outraged. I almost complained to Starbucks but I just didn't have the energy. I just laughed in their faces while he seethed and tried to explain the difference between a cow and a soya bean. I don't think they learned anything though.

Shrapnel
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM
The stupidest thing I've heard so far has to be 'Soya milk comes from cows though doesn't it?' And that's why I stopped going to Starbucks.

Argh! The stupid! It burns!

bradders
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
its a wonder they manage to get through the day without putting their food in the washing machine to cook, their clothes down the toilet and peeing in the tumble dryer

Elahiya
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
it seems to be the same like with peanut or cocoa butter...

bradders
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
the butters I can almost understand it though