PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Declan
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:13 PM
it seems to be the same like with peanut or cocoa butter...

I couldn't count the number of times someone was going to get me chocolate/saw me eating chocolate (etc) and didn't get me it because/said I shouldn't be eating it because of cocoa butter. Ahem, I think I know what I can and can't eat, thanks... :rolleyes:

Shrapnel
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:24 PM
i had kind of the same debate with my parents on x-mas 2007. when they told me (while we were having a completely homemade vegan menu) that my aunt will be there two days later with THAT LARGE BIRD, i couldn´t withstand to say "oh yeah? i thought x-mas was a celebration of love. so much to that when u have dead beings on ur table, so this is not at all a bit about love" well, they felt offended although it was just a general statement of mine and so we had a pretty hard argument which went from a-z about anything, though it wasn´t that much about dead animals on one´s plate anymore at the end.

in the meantime they have understood a bit more about being vegan and they just told me on x-mas they decided they don´t need meat anymore. they already leave out dairy (except for cheeses) and only have eggs sometimes. but i´m about to change that, too :D
my mother recently asked me about alternatives to gelatin! that was funny: she was at a health food store to get some dried one in order to prepare one of her strange fruit desserts. she took a look at the label and suddenly read "made of bones". that disgusted her so much that she left it. i wondered about it why she reacted like that now. she never thought about it so much earlier and now she reads labels more and more she gets more aware of it. i´m glad my parents are getting more open-minded and begin to think. it lookks like they go vegan step after step...
Wow! That's great! It's nice to hear something actually came out of a discussion =)

buttons
Jan 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
it seems to be the same like with peanut or cocoa butter...
Whenever I'm eating something with coconut milk, my sister alway bags me about the welfare of cowconuts (coconut cows)!

DarmokTheGreen
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
She looked and saw that my desk was covered in cards and then said, "I didn't get you one, I didn't think you'd celebrate Christmas, with being vegan." :undecided: :dizzy: Whaaaaat?!?! There's not much you can say to that. I think I just frowned at her.

She must have been watching all those TV shows where they act like a dead turkey is one of the essential parts of Christmas. :rolleyes:

Shrapnel
Jan 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM
She must've seen the Charlie Brown Christmas Special where Charlie Brown explains the true meaning of Christmas, how an angel of The Lord came upon the factory farmers, telling them, "Be not afraid, for unto you will be hatched billions of turkeys, and lo, shall you inflict torture mutilation and death." And the Holy Spirit descended upon the battery cages, blessing them. And the Three Wise Men, traveling from afar, bestowed gifts of butter, gravy and stuffing.

Oh, and there was that bit about that... er... that guy. What's his face... Jessup or something. But the main reason for the season is the dead bird. So remember, don't take the bird corpse out of Corpsemas.

Frosty
Jan 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Shrapnel, you have just made me guffaw very loudly in the middle of my office :D haha.

Stu
Jan 13th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Me too! Some superb posts coming from the brain of Shrapnel!

Elahiya, that is brilliant news about your parents. So are they mostly vegan?

Sarabi
Jan 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM
That's cool, Elahiya. I'm kind of like your mom in a way. I didn't know what was in what I was eating, so I ended up eating a lot of non-vegan things at first. And then there are things like refined sugar using bone char that I just learned about and also I still consume so many things that are probably not fair (human) labor. =/ Yikes. But each day I consume more things as a vegan, and I make more and more refined decisions about what to consume.

buttons
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
She must've seen the Charlie Brown Christmas Special where Charlie Brown explains the true meaning of Christmas, how an angel of The Lord came upon the factory farmers, telling them, "Be not afraid, for unto you will be hatched billions of turkeys, and lo, shall you inflict torture mutilation and death." And the Holy Spirit descended upon the battery cages, blessing them. And the Three Wise Men, traveling from afar, bestowed gifts of butter, gravy and stuffing.

Oh, and there was that bit about that... er... that guy. What's his face... Jessup or something. But the main reason for the season is the dead bird. So remember, don't take the bird corpse out of Corpsemas.

I must confess, I do harbour a macabre fascination with turduckens. (CORPSE WARNING: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken)

Sidenote: I'm quite liking the new periwinkly/cornflowerish layout!

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I must confess, I do harbour a macabre fascination with turduckens. (CORPSE WARNING: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken)

Sidenote: I'm quite liking the new periwinkly/cornflowerish layout!

Oh, gosh...fortunately I finally have figured out how to decode the words "tofurky" and differentiate from "turducken" because for YEARS I thought they were the same...luckily the packaging must be very very different. :eek: :(

squigaletta
Jan 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I never realised turducken was a real thing. I thought it was a joke and an urban legend. People are weird!

Declan
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'd never heard of turducken until today and god, I'm appalled, that sounds like the most vile disgusting thing ever. I think I want to be sick...

Hemlock
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
There was something much worse of River Cottage one Christmas, they did 10 birds all stuffed into one another. I can't remember what the smallest one was and don't want to remember.
To me this a bit like someone having fun stuffing different sizes of headless and boned people into one another - sick!

helen105281
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I think that is disgusting too.

My colleague has just really annoyed me (as usual). He is filling out his performance review forms and one of the things is to adapt to colleague's cultural beliefs. He announced that to do that he would have to go vegan. I said it just meant that he should respect my beliefs and I can't remember how we got to this point but he basically said he was morally against vegans as as a group we segregate ourselves from society and turn ourselves into a cult!!!! He then said that he would kill 30 sheep if it meant saving one human in response to my opinion that all creatures should be respected equally. He makes me so mad!!!!!!

Gorilla
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
^ he's doing well with his goal of accepting colleagues' cultural beliefs then :rolleyes: seriously, if he said something like that to a Jew/Muslim etc, there'd be hell to pay.

harpy
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
My colleague has just really annoyed me (as usual). He is filling out his performance review forms and one of the things is to adapt to colleague's cultural beliefs.

Some organisations get people to provide feedback on their peers' performance these days. So perhaps you could volunteer to comment on his adaptability to your cultural beliefs? :devil:

cornishdreadhead
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:39 AM
My colleague has just really annoyed me (as usual). He is filling out his performance review forms and one of the things is to adapt to colleague's cultural beliefs. He announced that to do that he would have to go vegan. I said it just meant that he should respect my beliefs and I can't remember how we got to this point but he basically said he was morally against vegans as as a group we segregate ourselves from society and turn ourselves into a cult!!!! He then said that he would kill 30 sheep if it meant saving one human in response to my opinion that all creatures should be respected equally. He makes me so mad!!!!!!

What a tosser.

People like this make me wonder whether they are beyond hope completely. I'm inclined to say yes. :down:

Elahiya
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Elahiya, that is brilliant news about your parents. So are they mostly vegan?

obviously they do. i can´t definitely say what it is really like in their day-to-day life, as i´m not living with them or close to them. i´m proud of them, never expected anything like that, especially when i think back to our argument on my first vegan x-mas. they´ve always loved what i prepared for them, either cooked or baked. maybe some people just need to see an "example" what it is like as a vegan or especially why so that they begin to think about it and think more about what they really consume.

Quantum Mechanic
Jan 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
obviously they do. i can´t definitely say what it is really like in their day-to-day life, as i´m not living with them or close to them. i´m proud of them, never expected anything like that, especially when i think back to our argument on my first vegan x-mas. they´ve always loved what i prepared for them, either cooked or baked. maybe some people just need to see an "example" what it is like as a vegan or especially why so that they begin to think about it and think more about what they really consume.

Yeah, my dad eats mostly vegan nowadays, and I talked with him over the phone about some of the reasons (such as, just because there is killing that I cannot help to procure veg and grains for instance, that I won't swear them off because I do what is practical and possible as long as there is an alternative, and unfortunately most places that I shop I have never seen veganically grown stuff, but that doesn't mean that I think it right to continue to support the intentional killing that there is an alternative for or that I can avoid, such as silk for instance - if you cannot save 1000 lives, that is no reason to ignore or choose the death of the one life that you can save).

The other day he pointed out that at his work he noted the first time there was a food option that was likely to be vegan (a lentil and something or other and rice dish I believe) posted on the wall, and so while it may not be 100% vegan there's no overt meat, cheese, egg, etc. He doesn't usually eat from there but said he would consider it, as he's been eating vegan at home, and I think mostly vegetarian when out.

However, my mom is so used to her old habits of shopping and eating out at fast food, that while I'm sure that she'd be open to at least that level of change, that it's the "old habits die hard" and she's the one with the car who does the shopping. While she loves cheesecake, she quite approved of the tofu cheesecake we made, as well as some Starbucks-frappachino type drinks I made, that simulated the java chip type that you can't get with a soymilk sub. She also loves the chocolate and cherry soy ice creams, and we went to restaurants where we had tempeh burgers and another where there were faux meats in the dishes and she got a Mongolian beef-esque dish. We also made lasagna, though sadly she put cheese on it several times (I thought we had a recipe that called for a cheesy sauce, but I found out we didn't - it was still really good, though).

Frosty
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I think that is disgusting too.

That is quite unbelievable. Does your work place have an HR department? Might be worth bringing up with your line manager in your next PPR or something.

I get a fair bit of grief off people at my work (although, one colleague today brought in some chocolate bourbons instead of the choc digestives, so I could eat some for a change :)), but it's all pi$s taking really; that is just horrible behaviour from your colleague :mad:

helen105281
Jan 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
That is quite unbelievable. Does your work place have an HR department? Might be worth bringing up with your line manager in your next PPR or something.

I get a fair bit of grief off people at my work (although, one colleague today brought in some chocolate bourbons instead of the choc digestives, so I could eat some for a change :)), but it's all pi$s taking really; that is just horrible behaviour from your colleague :mad:

Thanks Frosty and everyone else who has commented. Yes we do have an HR dept, I am trying to keep a record of all of the things he says and does so that if it gets to the stage where I need to report him I have evidence. Thing is though my team leader and manager have both heard his comments and fob it off as "friendly banter"!!! :mad:

Thats a nice gesture by your colleagues with the biscuits Frosty.

fiamma
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
He then said that he would kill 30 sheep if it meant saving one human in response to my opinion that all creatures should be respected equally.

:rolleyes: Tell him you are morally obliged to kill 30 morons to save the intellectual integrity of the human race and that he is the first on your list.

helen105281
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM
:rolleyes: Tell him you are morally obliged to kill 30 morons to save the intellectual integrity of the human race and that he is the first on your list.

That made me laugh thank you :D

Shrapnel
Jan 17th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Hehe, I like that answer (and if he gets offended, just say it's "Friendly banter" =p)

pat sommer
Jan 18th, 2009, 06:18 AM
"said that he would kill 30 sheep if it meant saving one human"

you could tell him he has a point: removing that much methane from our atmosphere could potentially save a life.....

It's the devil's advocate thing: take away the fun of the provocations.
Why wear your heart on your sleeve? I have discussed Korean barbecue (dog) with colleagues that had nasty things to say about small pets. That shut them up!

If you grow a tougher skin, you'll have that bastard to thank for it.