PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

jackie
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:02 PM
One forum member gave a brilliant response a while back; she said "alright then, I'll watch a video of a strawberry harvest, you watch a video of a slaughterhouse, then we'll compare notes."

In the majority of cases I don't really agree with sarcastic responses; I would just say that vegetables do not have a central nervous system as animals do, therefore it cannot suffer as pigs, sheep and cows do.

Animal, vegetable, mineral... animals and vegetables are classified differently for various, very good, reasons.

Great responses....thank you!!! ;)

jackie
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
One forum member gave a brilliant response a while back; she said "alright then, I'll watch a video of a strawberry harvest, you watch a video of a slaughterhouse, then we'll compare notes."

In the majority of cases I don't really agree with sarcastic responses; I would just say that vegetables do not have a central nervous system as animals do, therefore it cannot suffer as pigs, sheep and cows do.

Animal, vegetable, mineral... animals and vegetables are classified differently for various, very good, reasons.

Great responses....thank you!!! ;)

jackie
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:05 PM
OOPs.....

BJJNick
Jan 31st, 2009, 04:28 PM
An older guy I work with calls me "grass-eater".

I respond by calling him "colon cancer", "body snacker", etc.

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 1st, 2009, 07:33 AM
"Hey, colon cancer! How's it goin', body snacker?"

Oh boy. I can see how this one goes.

BJJNick
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
"Hey, colon cancer! How's it goin', body snacker?"

Oh boy. I can see how this one goes.

Lol. That's exactly how it goes.

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
:rolleyes: Tell him you are morally obliged to kill 30 morons to save the intellectual integrity of the human race and that he is the first on your list.

LOL !!
Fantastic

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
"You don't even eat fish?? But god gave fish to humans to eat"

My response.

"I try to make decisions based on logic, not based on what invisible people tell me to do."

wow. i love this thread!!
I'll have to write this all down

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
No, I wouldn't alienate them either

Yeah, me too.
I think it's a way for them to say "I am QUITE open to your point of view",
which is already a good starting point.

But I answer something in a sad voice, not in any offensive way,
like: "yeah, good enough, but you only do it
for health reasons right?"

which leaves them speechless cause if they say yes, they realize they
do NOT deserve, in fact, any medal and are just being selfish.
if they say they do it for the animals, they'd have to realize
they need to make a fuller commitment than that.

So i just turn away and leave them thinking...
and guilty ;)

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
>.<

You should've said "OK so can I kill your family and any dog or cat you may live with for their skin to make couches or clothes, as long as I promise to treat them kindly and kill them humanely? Let's set a time. Tuesday all right with you?"

:D

it just keeps getting better!! lol

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Oh, I love the quote at the bottom of your posts Emzy....

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM

Excellent one!

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:00 PM
"What do vegans eat, Mahk?"

I answer, "You know: bark, flowers, roots, leaves, tree/wood, bamboo, various rocks and minerals, fungi, bacteria, same as you really, just no rotting animal carcasses or, pardon me, 'cooked and de-boned' rotting animal carcasses."

When they protest, "But Mahk, I don't eat any of those things!" I give them examples of each: cinnamon is a bark/ broccoli, cauliflower, saffron and artichokes are all flowers (http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm)/ carrots and beets are roots/ spinach and lettuce are leaves/ bamboo shoots in Chinese food are both (baby) trees/wood and bamboo/ salt, iron (ferrous sulfate) found in most dry pasta, and sodium bicarbonate are rocks and minerals/ nutritional yeast and mushrooms are fungi, and (soy) yogurt contains various bacteria.

wow.
i swear to God. All this time I thought that when in History class
they taught us that people in the past ate "roots and leaves",
I imagined them to actually eat roots and leaves.

Only now your post enlightened me to the fact that
they were eating potatoes, broccolis and spinaches all that time!!!!

My, they should seriously teach that at school CLEARLY!!!!
or I must have been sleeping that day!

thanks!

Buddha Belly
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
On a nice note, another dude came back with a big pack of donuts and asked why I couldn't eat them. He said, "well that's ok then because I got you a soya chocolate bar!" I hugged him...I really needed choccy that day![/quote]

I have had that a few times at work. They are all really good in little ways. Always using a differant knife when stealing my Pure then changing to another to put some pate stuff on their bread. One work mate actively looks for vegan stuff then tells me about it, she found me onion ring crisps once :D
They also know never to ask me for non-vegan stuff when i go to the shops.

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
"if it weren't for meat eaters, cows wouldnt' exist at all"

what do you reply to that??

emzy1985
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
"if it weren't for meat eaters, cows wouldnt' exist at all"

what do you reply to that??

Thanks aboutthe quote comment!

and in reply to that.....cows existed long before humans were around! (Think buffalow and bison etc!)

vegetarian_cat
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Agree with all above : )

I usually reply to the not-much with either recipes or restaurant recommendations or offer a cooking lesson. I hear a cry for help not smugness.

An update.
The guy who had told me on the phone
that he doesn't eat that much meat anyway,
had indeed said that to start admitting to himself
that he CAN truly make the transition, to make it more acceptable.

Tonight he called me and told me he's learning to cook soups
cause he's not fond of raw vegetables.
I complimented him a lot.
We exchanged culinary tips.

He sounded very sweet and honest in his attempt.

So, we have to keep in mind whether one is saying that
as a sort of first step towards going veg.
or only to look cool without making the effort.

the first are to be encouraged i think..
the other ones...
i dont know..
it depends on your comfort with the F word :)

Mahk
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
....cows existed long before humans were around! (Think buffalow and bison etc!)
Also wild cattle live free in Chillingham England to this day:
http://www.whitepark.org.uk/Chillingham1.jpg

Source (http://www.whitepark.org.uk/chillingham.htm)

Kitteh
Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
Whilst having lunch with a friend I don't see very often . . .
she said: "Are you still vegan?"
Me: Yes! You know I am. Why would I not be?"
She said: "Oh! I thought they would have found a cure for your type by now!"

At this point I wanted to slap her, but I kept my composure and said bluntly . . .

Me: "A cure for what? You're ignorance more like?! There are many reasons why I'm vegan, and you are an animal lover with 2 cats, as I am. Would you want to eat them?"

It may seem harsh but I felt I had to say something.

Brilliant! And no it's not harsh, she's insulting you by saying you need to be cured, wtf. Good on you!

A guy from a transport company came to the office yest'day and sat down w/ my Dad and a co-worker. I heard bits of their conversation but wasn't really listening. Afterwards, as he left, my Dad and co-worker were laughing and once he'd gone they asked if I'd heard his comments about food? I said nup and they said he went on about how he loves his food and meat and wine and how anyone who just eats carrots and lettuce is stupid and then made a vomit/yuck face and stuck out his tongue and they both looked at me waiting to give him a death stare! I was like DAMN, I so would have spoken up!

vegetarian_cat
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Also wild cattle live free in Chillingham England to this day:
http://www.whitepark.org.uk/Chillingham1.jpg

Source (http://www.whitepark.org.uk/chillingham.htm)

wow.......................
I can't believe the things i read in that article.
Animals are So amazing....

At school today i asked whether kids thought it was true or false
that orangutangs use huge leaves as umbrellas when it rains.
many thought it was a true but this particular kid laughed it off and said
false and i asked why and he said, cause i dont think they are that intelligent!!

i was SO happy to prove him wrong there!

no wonder his father is a trainer for dogs and train them through violence i've been told (all legal :( )

terem
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:18 AM
oooh I've had: "Oh you're vegan? We tried being vegetarian once but it just doesn't work".

I get really annoyed when people ask "are you ALLOWED this" or "are you ALLOWED that". I mean seriously. They must think that if I were to 'break the vegan rules' that the 'vegan leaders' are gonna hear about it and banish me forever... ARGH

I get that a lot from my sister. I keep telling her I CHOOSE not to eat meat, it's really ridiculous. She also argued with me once when I was veggie and ate eggs, and I got angry at her for telling me not to eat them, when she won't even give up meat!

jackie
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I get really annoyed when people ask "are you ALLOWED this" or "are you ALLOWED that". I mean seriously.

my OH keeps saying this to me...drives me crazy!!! i keep saying I'm ALLOWED to eat anything I want, i just cHOOSe not to eat it! :mad:

terem
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:31 AM

I have one friend who tells me that plants do feel pain and they bleed whenever I respond with something like that...I just don't know what to say to that, it's absurd!

DiaShel
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM
My boss makes a joke about when I bring a soy bean to my mouth that it screams "No Diane, don't eat me, you vegan b*&$%" which she does in a squeaky little voice

terem
Feb 4th, 2009, 01:55 AM
My boss makes a joke about when I bring a soy bean to my mouth that it screams "No Diane, don't eat me, you vegan b*&$%" which she does in a squeaky little voice

And I bet if you did that when she was bringing a piece of chicken to her mouth she would get angry and think you were attacking her!:hmm: