PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

DiaShel
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Eh, you're probably right. it doesn't really bother me though, I just laugh it off.

squigaletta
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
tbh it does sound kinda cute and funny, as long as it is given with good humour.

bradders
Feb 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM
after explaining veganism to a domestic at the hospital I got asked: 'well would you like a ham sandwich?'

BlackCats
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
after explaining veganism to a domestic at the hospital I got asked: 'well would you like a ham sandwich?'

(I hope you're feeling okay now Bradders.)

My friend asked me if I wanted a prawn salad the other day, I just looked at her in astonishment but it didn't click. I'm not sure she even understands what being vegan is honestly and I have known her for two years now.

bradders
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I am thanks BC

a lot of people just don't make the connection with what prawns and shrimp and even tuna are

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I know what shrimp and tuna are, but what what kind of animal is "prawn"?

bradders
Feb 4th, 2009, 11:21 PM
crustaceans, essentially insects in the sea

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 4th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Oh, yes.

cornishdreadhead
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Not really a question, but whenever people ask me about what being a vegan is at work, I always explain what I don't eat and why, and then they proceed to telling me about all the different cuts of meat they like, and how they like to cook it, and what meat tastes better than others. Tsch.

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Kind of irritated me, that one of the people in my suite ran into me at lunch, and started talking about something (I dunno...toilet paper? Something weird). I got the impression she was using a veneer of kindness when there was something else she was getting at, and then discussion came around to my scoliosis (which it turns out she has a mild scoliosis too) and then I said that I really wanted to go back to the doctor though because I wanted to have a referral to physiotherapy or something because I hate relying on pain pills (after I had already mentioned not being able to get out of bed before), and then she said, "Yeah, want to practice what you're preaching."

Now I figure she was just trying to make conversation and that's all she could come up with on short order, but WTF? Since when do I preach? If showing up to a common floor birthday party where all they serve is non-vegan ice cream and vanilla cake, and bringing my own cookie avalanche ice cream is "preaching", then I have another definition: eating. And gee, I sure hope she doesn't expect every vegan she meets to put up with pain that is enough to make them unable to get up out of bed and do things. Fortunately I was able to get to the doctor and have the pain pills kick in by about five weeks, or else this vegan would have been packing bags to move out. Which maybe is what she wants. I don't know; there is at least one person around who said some things nasty about me (before I was vegan, but I'm sure if they're anti-veg*n that they might dislike me more, but this is a mostly-accepting or minimally tolerant environment if individuals don't always understand).

buttons
Feb 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, QM. In some people's minds, if were not kumbaya-ing through pain and illness and eschewing all treatments, we're not doing our crazy lifestyle right!

Sidenote: there's such a thing as vegan cookie icecream? Oh my.:eek:

(forgive me if I misinterpreted what the "preaching" snark form the person was about)

Shrapnel
Feb 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Not really a question, but whenever people ask me about what being a vegan is at work, I always explain what I don't eat and why, and then they proceed to telling me about all the different cuts of meat they like, and how they like to cook it, and what meat tastes better than others. Tsch.

Yeah, I just got that too. There was another message board where they were discussing the Peta Superbowl ads, and someone mentioned that vegans freaked him out, since he couldn't imagine not eating what he liked (I guess the concept of being inconvenienced so others may live free from torture and death just was too mind blowing). I mentioned that I just couldn't stomach the idea of killing and eating other animals, which got a lot of posts from people describing in detail how they like their dead bodies cooked :rollseyes_ani: When I mentioned how disturbing the whole killing thing was, since other animals feel pain too, I was told by someone that I pissed her off with my moralizing >_< Yeah, so people can talk about how much the love to kill and contribute to suffering and death, but if I mention I don't like violence, then I'm the one forcing my views. If someone was spouting racist views ("I like killing (Jews/Blacks/Whites/Asians/Irish/Native Americans/Slavs/etc.) because they're not really human, what with their being different from my race."), would she consider me moralizing for saying that I don't think racism is a good thing?

emzy1985
Feb 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Argh! How can someone be anti-vegan? It's just not right!!!

pat sommer
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
ah, we bother them... they can't ignore us and we are gaining on them.

Think what nightmares we are creating :devil:

Most omnis really think meat sounds appetizing to us and we are just making the sacrifice.... I read up on sausage recipes and Korean (dog) barbecue so I usually can gross them out in return.

After all what is a sausage? a ground up carcass stuffed into its own sewer pipes. Headcheese makes for stimulating reading too :D

Rose Jail
Feb 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM

A similar exchange happened between my father and I. We were on the road one day when I started explaining to him what veganism was (as I was newly vegan at the time), and not five minutes after I'd finished talking, he pulls over at a petrol station and asks me if I'd like a milkshake.

bradders
Feb 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
bloomin omnis, you have to wonder if they actually listen sometimes.

DiaShel
Feb 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
A similar exchange happened between my father and I. We were on the road one day when I started explaining to him what veganism was (as I was newly vegan at the time), and not five minutes after I'd finished talking, he pulls over at a petrol station and asks me if I'd like a milkshake.

My mom did the exact same thing! I just finished telling her I went vegan after I came home and we were deciding on dinner. Her response was "oh, want to get some turkey and cheese from the deli for sandwiches? oh wait..."

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
ah, we bother them... they can't ignore us and we are gaining on them.

Think what nightmares we are creating :devil:

Most omnis really think meat sounds appetizing to us and we are just making the sacrifice.... I read up on sausage recipes and Korean (dog) barbecue so I usually can gross them out in return.

After all what is a sausage? a ground up carcass stuffed into its own sewer pipes. Headcheese makes for stimulating reading too :D

Oh good grief *gag*, my dad was actually fed the last stuff as a kid. He told us cringing stories when I was a teenager about it. Hmm. Maybe this is why he is starting to stop meat and adopt more vegan choices...

bradders
Feb 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
or ask them what's in a sausage (often the only 'meat' in it is 3% pork fat) or a faggot.
They soon shush about how linda mccartney sausage rolls are cheating then.

Rose Jail
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM
My mom did the exact same thing! I just finished telling her I went vegan after I came home and we were deciding on dinner. Her response was "oh, want to get some turkey and cheese from the deli for sandwiches? oh wait..."

People are just so special.

Just tonight my mother asked "so, if you just randomly found an egg on the ground, would it be okay for you to eat then?" Because yeah, I'd TOTALLY consume something that I found on the ground :\

Enchantress
Feb 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I ate a cucumber I found lying on the side of the road once. In my defence it was wrapped up in plastic so couldn't have got dirty.

buttons
Feb 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
or ask them what's in a sausage (often the only 'meat' in it is 3% pork fat) or a faggot.
They soon shush about how linda mccartney sausage rolls are cheating then.
Cheating? What?

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM
"cheating them out of meat" I presume.

bradders
Feb 12th, 2009, 10:28 AM
as in terms of us cheating with meat subs

buttons
Feb 13th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Oh, OK. Thanks.