PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Daffodil
Feb 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
:p Watch out for the carmine colorin' in the red fruit juices, though; them's bugs!
---

"What do vegans eat, Mahk?"

I answer, "You know: bark, flowers, roots, leaves, tree/wood, bamboo, various rocks and minerals, fungi, bacteria, same as you really, just no rotting animal carcasses or, pardon me, 'cooked and de-boned' rotting animal carcasses."

When they protest, "But Mahk, I don't eat any of those things!" I give them examples of each: cinnamon is a bark/ broccoli, cauliflower, saffron and artichokes are all flowers (http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm)/ carrots and beets are roots/ spinach and lettuce are leaves/ bamboo shoots in Chinese food are both (baby) trees/wood and bamboo/ salt, iron (ferrous sulfate) found in most dry pasta, and sodium bicarbonate are rocks and minerals/ nutritional yeast and mushrooms are fungi, and (soy) yogurt contains various bacteria.

Love it :D

vegetarian_cat
Feb 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Oh my...

today i congratulated my male veterinary cause I found out he
is a vegetarian while the other two female vets aren't.

Then i told him i was vegan and kind of gently asked him
why he's still eating milk and cheese..

He said "i eat cheese but then I save up on greenhouse emissions by not using my car much so i compensate"

???

i said, ok, that's for the environment but what about the animals?
veals get killed so we can have cheese.

he said, "yeah i know but if i went vegetarian for that reason then I couldn't
really do my job, cause here I see hurt animals all the time and sometimes
I have to put them to sleep etc"

i was in such shock i truly didn't know what to say.

that made NOOO sense to me at all..

what would you have said?

i hate it when i can't come up with anything smart fast.. :(

cxmnz
Feb 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
i hate it when i can't come up with anything smart fast.. :(

Or when there's such a thick fog of stupid in the room it seeps into your head and stops your brain from making clever. ;)

Spud Addict
Feb 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Or when there's such a thick fog of stupid in the room it seeps into your head and stops your brain from making clever. ;)

Love it! :D

DiaShel
Feb 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I would have said "You aren't putting the animals to sleep for your own pleasure which is what you're doing by eating cheese".

Ok, I wouldn't have said that, but I would have wanted to.

Declan
Feb 17th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I would have said "You aren't putting the animals to sleep for your own pleasure which is what you're doing by eating cheese".

I agree. Although I know a lot of vet students here who think they're being so nice to animals by learning how to help the farmers exploit them more (lots of them, anyway), I'm half-hoping this kind og thing comes up in conversation just so I can use that response

Mahk
Feb 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Perfect.

The best arguments are always short, concise, and bullet proof.

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Ooh...that must be the problem I've been having then. :p

sandra
Feb 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I would've said it! :D

Someone my daughter knows, asked her the other day (while they were on the subject of veganism) if she 'ate organic mince?'
She said, 'We had organic mince last night. I liked it but my parents didn't. Do you eat organic mince?' :confused:

My daughter quietly replied........'No, it comes from a cow, I don't eat cows!' :rolleyes:

Frosty
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM
:D haha, that's a good sone Sandra.

When my g/f went back to Cork at Christmas she was explaining my eating to her family, and her cousin asked if I ate fish. no was the reply. Then her nan asked if I ate frogs :confused: :confused: :lol: bizarre! No to fishies, but yes to frogs!

sandra
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
That is a very strange question, isn't it Frosty?
You wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes! :confused:

Shrapnel
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Someone my daughter knows, asked her the other day (while they were on the subject of veganism) if she 'ate organic mince?'
She said, 'We had organic mince last night. I liked it but my parents didn't. Do you eat organic mince?' :confused:

My daughter quietly replied........'No, it comes from a cow, I don't eat cows!' :rolleyes:

Aw, I like her response :)

Frosty
Feb 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah, you do. It seems a bit of an odd question to ask someone who does eat animals if they eat frogs, let alone someone that doesn't eat animals :rolleyes:

JC
Feb 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
One of my housemates constantly asks me if i can eat stuff as i prepare it in the kitchen - "nooooo....i've suddenly decided i no longer want to be vegan and am now preparing a meat and dairy filled meal" :hmm: or if i go to eat soya yogurt or soya chocolate he has a heart attack... as if i don't know what's in it, and haven't already spent 20 minutes checking labels in the supermarket!! and another friend assumes i can eat nothing but fruit and veg - they really are stupid, surely if i ate nothing but vegetables, i would be very very thin by now?? i should explain, but it gets really tiring after a while, and why should i have to discuss every morsel that passes my lips?! sorry, mini-rant there :o

Rose Jail
Feb 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
When my g/f went back to Cork at Christmas she was explaining my eating to her family, and her cousin asked if I ate fish. no was the reply. Then her nan asked if I ate frogs :confused: :confused: :lol: bizarre! No to fishies, but yes to frogs!

Wow, that's some amazing logic there :\

That's adorable.

talknerdytome
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
As a recent vegan (after being vegetarian for 10 years) I have been getting A LOT of stupid comments:

My Mum, bless her - 'What about that grape you're eating, I bet that has feelings to!' and 'What about calcium? Women need calcium you know, you'll get osteoporosis', 'what about yorkshire puddings? you're going to miss those' When was the last time she made me yorkshire puddings! And when I asked her to pick me up some bean burgers for when I got back she said 'Oh, so you're not even eating it IN stuff? What's the point in that?' I only go home like once every 3 months, what's the big deal!

My boyfriend - 'You're still eating chocolate cake' Erm, why? 'because you have to' how is it any less cruel? 'because I say so' I'm not letting animals suffer so I can have chocolate cake unless you give me a good reason 'because I say so'.

My friend - 'No!! You're going to miss out on SO much!' Erm, like what? Bad skin, greasy hair, pus, causing cows pain and killing baby chicks? I'm good thanks.

Agatha
Feb 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
i went on holiday with my mum to tenerife. we arrived in a cafe but as soons as we got there i had to pop to the loo. when i came back the wiater was leaving our table. i was just about to ask froo vegetable but soup but my mum said "oh don't worry i ordered chickeas for you." she can't speak spanish so that was a bit disconcerting but i was too hungry to think much. then waiter eventually arrived back with two plates of meat. one with a few chickpeas in. i must have looked a bit crest fallen cos i was starving. "oh just pick out the chickpeas" she complained. i said no and gave her my plate and just ate an apple. i still had to pay for the meal and she didn't stop complaing for the rest of the day.

i haven't spoken to her since.

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM
Yesterday when I was going to the cafeteria for lunch, heading out for the MRI appt, so it was going to be the only big meal all day, and when I get to the veggie line, the only vegan options are green beans and pears, and if you look elsewhere you can add salad, rice, and fried potatoes. No vegan soup that day.

So when I asked the person at the register if there was anything there I could eat to make a substantial vegan meal, as I was going to be out all day, and she pointed to the vegetarian lasagna, that has cheese all over it (!), and said, "There's vegetarian lasagna, you want some of that?" (This is the same person who gave me all sorts of trouble and for over an hour wouldn't help me figure out a confusing vegan labelling because she never puts out the dessert listing, and was quite rude and made comments disparaging about my disability). I said, to the best of my ability keeping myself from showing all the frustration: "No...it has dairy, I don't eat dairy."

One of the people cooking was nice and heard what was going on and heated up a spicy bean mixture, and I had that with veggies and rice and stuff. But still, not everybody gets full eating salad for a meal. I like having salad with a meal, often preferably twice a day, but that was just not a very good nutritionally or appetite satisfying meal until the beans were added. And they do make people buy meal plans as freshmen, so it is really important that they stick to their commitment to catering to vegans, especially since they've shown that they are well capable of it.

Yeah, but I kind of lol'd at the "vegetarian lasagna" comment. I don't know if she just forgot I was vegan for a moment, or if she thought I might like lasagna enough to "take a day off"?!?!?!

Penny
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but I kind of lol'd at the "vegetarian lasagna" comment. I don't know if she just forgot I was vegan for a moment, or if she thought I might like lasagna enough to "take a day off"?!?!?!

Or maybe her thinking was like the people who, over the years, have said to me in a conspiratorial voice, 'No-one will know...' :rolleyes:

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Oh, yeah, that would work in a cafeteria of 100+ people. ;-)

1gentlemaorispirit
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
A friend visited to see the kittens and she was accompanied by a friend of hers. We know of each other, so I felt it would be good to finaly meet. Being that I'm Ms-Have-A-Chat with almost anyone and with a friendly personality, I felt happy to welcome her into my home.

During the conversation, the newly met "friend" chirps up with: ! You're not what I expected for someone whose vegan! Your photos don't do you justice!" Should I be flattered? Was this a compliment? All I could come out with was: "Oh, I see!" I'm not usually stuck for words . . . :p

She then adds: "You don't look like a vegan!!!" :eek: Responding with: "What is a vegan SUPPOSED to look like?
Boldly she says: "Well, you know, hippy, messy and unkempt! Doesn't really fit in with society as such!"
:amazed_ani::surprised_ani: I was actually lost for words, (again) for a moment! :amazed_ani: (Twice in one day, WOW!!!:lol:) I know I'm an odd-ball, some would say 'mildly eccentric' and I have been known to put my foot in my mouth on occasion. All the same, I hope I would NEVER be rude to someone I'd only just met in their home!

Anouk
Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
so you don't drink milk? what if you had kids, would you breastfeed them? how is that not the same?

:D oh my.

JC
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Oh my indeed. As everyone knows, women are herded into cramped sheds by their millions, their babies taken off them and their milk forceably extracted. It's exactly the same, you should be ashamed :D

philfox
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
She then adds: "You don't look like a vegan!!!"

I get this a lot. After I ask why, they always say 'well because you are fat!' Sometimes they add 'You can't be a proper vegan. Are you sure you don't sneak steak occasionally?'

Sometimes people's answer to my weight problem is the 'excess gluten in your high fibre diet.' Erm, so it's not ll the chips and crisps and booze I consume then? :rollseyes_ani:

talknerdytome
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Back when I was vegetarian one girl said to me 'you know what, i've never seen a fat vegetarian' I was like, 'erm, crisps/chocolate/cake/biscuits/chips etc, they don't make you fat?!' and then she asked me how often I poo, because I must eat so much fiber =S