PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

1gentlemaorispirit
Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
I get this a lot. After I ask why, they always say 'well because you are fat!' Sometimes they add 'You can't be a proper vegan. Are you sure you don't sneak steak occasionally?'

Sometimes people's answer to my weight problem is the 'excess gluten in your high fibre diet.' Erm, so it's not ll the chips and crisps and booze I consume then? :rollseyes_ani:

I've had the "You're vegan and fat?! How can that be?" It's called genetics! And told rudely that I 'eat meat' in secret. I have replied: "With let's take a stool sample and have it tested for animal proteins, then shall we?":hmm:

DiaShel
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Oh my indeed. As everyone knows, women are herded into cramped sheds by their millions, their babies taken off them and their milk forceably extracted. It's exactly the same, you should be ashamed :D

Ok... writing this one done. Something I think I should carry around index cards for good responses to all these dumb questions. That'd be hilarious.. "hold on one second" ::shuffles through cards mumbling "now where is my how do I get my protein card, ah yes here it is..."

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 24th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Ok... writing this one done. Something I think I should carry around index cards for good responses to all these dumb questions. That'd be hilarious.. "hold on one second" ::shuffles through cards mumbling "now where is my how do I get my protein card, ah yes here it is..."

I've done an electronic version of this, though for in relation to autism. It's much simpler to just do apple F on my alphasmart and type in a key word than to shuffle through small print cards. Though cards would be handy for times when not having an alphasmart, such as at a cafeteria. "Hmm...where's my 'Vegans don't eat dairy' card...?"

Gorilla
Feb 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I get this a lot. After I ask why, they always say 'well because you are fat!' Sometimes they add 'You can't be a proper vegan. Are you sure you don't sneak steak occasionally?'

some people are so rude :mad:

Shrapnel
Feb 24th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Heh, I like that idea =D

DiaShel
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I think I could make a killing selling them too. Ok, maybe not a killing, but it might buy me lunch...

BlackCats
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
She then adds: "You don't look like a vegan!!!" :eek: Responding with: "What is a vegan SUPPOSED to look like?
Boldly she says: "Well, you know, hippy, messy and unkempt! Doesn't really fit in with society as such!"

:amazed_ani: I think I would laugh in surprise if someone said something that stupid to me!:D

philfox
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Haha! Just had to post this what I read on Yahoo answers!

No, vegan means no animal products. But no matter how you look at it, we are animals. Humans are animals. While it's true we can remain healthy for years (up to 7 in most studies) by refraining from eating animal products, it is also a simple fact that small amounts of animal products each day (dairy, lean meats, seafood) give our bodies compounds and nutrients that are poorly reproduced by vegetable matter. If you like the foods you mention, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating them once in a while, a good idea in fact, but you would not be considered vegan.

Funny that she hasn't referenced these studies...

Shrapnel
Feb 25th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Haha! Just had to post this what I read on Yahoo answers!

Funny that she hasn't referenced these studies...

My response would be, "Most studies show you're an idiot. I'll cite my sources when you cite yours." =p

vegcurry
Feb 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I was just approached by a street collector aka chugger for the RSPCA who asked "Do I love animals?" so I replied 'yes, probably more than you.' When he asked what it meant, I asked if he was a veggie or vegan ... and unfortunately you can guess the reply 'No'.
Ummmm... it's okay to be an animal lover AND eat them ??? :eek: Not in my book.

vava
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I was just approached by a street collector aka chugger for the RSPCA who asked "Do I love animals?" so I replied 'yes, probably more than you.' When he asked what it meant, I asked if he was a veggie or vegan ... and unfortunately you can guess the reply 'No'.
heh nice one!

Gorilla
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
'chuggers' only do it for the money anyway, few of them care about the causes they're pushing.

vava
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM
never heard of chuggers expression:o

1gentlemaorispirit
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM

I was cold called by the RSPCA last summer. They were asking if I could possibly up my monthly donate. I was also asked if I would consider doing any fundraising for them. I explained that I donate to several animal and non-animal charities and donate any unwanted items to their shops. I did ask if they got paid for cold calling, and was told they do. I then asked, does the money I donate to the charity, pay their wages and I was given a pre-written speech of how their wages were paid. It ws so confusing, as a means to fob off such questions, no doubt. The person volunteered that they were veggie. So I asked if they were a strict veggie, as in vegan. They answered no, they ate eggs and drank milk. I asked them what the letters RSPCA stood for and was told. So I replied, then why work for a charity that is against cruelty to animals when they themselves were being cruel.

Maybe I should write a letter asking why they employ non vegans when they are against animal cruelty?:hmm:

harpy
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
never heard of chuggers expression:o

"Chuggers" = "charity muggers" - a bit mean perhaps but some of them are like muggers :D

philfox
Feb 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM
some people are so rude :mad:

I wouldn't mind if they were strangers or only acquaintances, but one person to say this was a so called friend. It really hurt at the time. She is a vegetarian, and I am really really negative about my body image, but even according to my other half, she is the same size as me roughly. Her perceptions of vegan come from her very underweight sister though. She had to be force fed (inc. meat) during pregnancy because apparently, veganism isn't a healthy choice and is fatal for infants if they have vegan mothers.

My friend is a trainee nurse too :( I wouldn't mind, but her boyfriend who I thought I was mates with agreed with her :/ which really hurt. I sound so pathetic don't I? :(

DiaShel
Feb 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I sound so pathetic don't I? :(

Not even a little bit. Your friends sound like they need to learn some manners though.

DiaShel
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM

I did this with a Greenpeace "chugger" as you call it. Asked her how she can be an environmentalist and eat meat. She said she'd been thinking about it and would try. I ended up giving them money.

DarmokTheGreen
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM
so you don't drink milk? what if you had kids, would you breastfeed them? how is that not the same?

:D oh my.

Only if you had a cow for a wet nurse.

And the cow was your slave.

Your cruelly mistreated slave.

mariana
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:49 AM
"Chuggers" = "charity muggers" - a bit mean perhaps but some of them are like muggers :D
One time I thought one of them was actually going to mug me (but that's because I was alone at night in an unfamiliar neighborhood and he approached me while I was walking under a bridge, and the way he came up to me made me think he was going to mug me). :p Turned out he worked for Amnesty International and was trying to get signatures for a petition. He seemed very passionate about it and was really nice but I couldn't sign his petition because I'm not a citizen.

Mahk
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:26 AM
^ Who you kill after five years because her milk production declines and turn her into hamburger.

DiaShel
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:42 AM
One time I thought one of them was actually going to mug me (but that's because I was alone at night in an unfamiliar neighborhood and he approached me while I was walking under a bridge, and the way he came up to me made me think he was going to mug me). :p Turned out he worked for Amnesty International and was trying to get signatures for a petition. He seemed very passionate about it and was really nice but I couldn't sign his petition because I'm not a citizen.

Who collects for charity at night under a bridge?? That's sketchy.

Shrapnel
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Who collects for charity at night under a bridge??
Trolls?

DiaShel
Feb 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Trolls?

ohhhhh... :tongue_ani:

Penny
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
She had to be force fed (inc. meat) during pregnancy because apparently, veganism isn't a healthy choice and is fatal for infants if they have vegan mothers.

OMG, so that's why my daughter died in infancy...Oh...hang on a minute.... I'm sure I've seen her around somewhere.... Ah, here she is (as bookgirl walks into the room, aged 19)