PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Gorilla
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
She had to be force fed (inc. meat) during pregnancy

:eek: when was this, the 1800s?!! :mad: i'm shocked they'd do something like that.

Shrapnel
Feb 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM
:eek: when was this, the 1800s?!! :mad: i'm shocked they'd do something like that.
O_o That is really messed up! I can't imagine it being legal.

Stu
Feb 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
OMG, so that's why my daughter died in infancy...Oh...hang on a minute.... I'm sure I've seen her around somewhere.... Ah, here she is (as bookgirl walks into the room, aged 19)

Heehee!

vegetarian_cat
Feb 26th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I think I could make a killing selling them too. Ok, maybe not a killing, but it might buy me lunch...

I'd buy them!!!!

Mahk
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I keep a mental version of said index cards in my noggin. My favorite one for "Where do you get you protein from?" is "From the same place an ox, a bull, a gorilla, or an elephant does: vegetation."

Sarabi
Feb 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I went to a social about anthropology tonight. Talked to this one girl about veganism, and she was like, "I went vegan for a week..... It wasn't for me... but if it works for you, that's great."

I'm thinking.... eating animals doesn't work for me, and it doesn't work for you either and doesn't work for the animals either... It's not a lifestyle choice! It's like someone saying to me, "I stopped being a cannibal for a week... wasn't for me... but if not eating other sentient beings works for you, great!"

Anyway... obviously I didn't say that because that's totally inappropriate. I never really know how to actually tell people about veganism without saying some crap like that which pops into my head, so what I end up saying is absolutely nothing unless they decide to delve into it. Or I usually just say, "I'm running a Vegan Campaign." Thank goodness for my Vegan Campaign because otherwise I wouldn't know what to do. This will be my chance to open up to people about veganism finally!

On second thought... I think that it wasn't for her... in her frame of mind... But to change a mind is to change the world.

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Trolls?
LOL I did a shrieking laugh!

Mr. Troll: :tongue_ani: "Do you care about the environment?"
Ms. Vegan: ;) "Yes, in fact and I'm a vegan. Do you want to hear about the vegan cause, Mr. Troll?"
Mr. Troll: :confused: "Umm..."
Ms. Vegan: :p "Then we can call you Mr. Vegan Troll. How about that?"
Mr. Troll: :hmm: "Er...OK!" :thumbsup:
Mr. Vegan Troll: :)

philfox
Feb 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
OMG, so that's why my daughter died in infancy...Oh...hang on a minute.... I'm sure I've seen her around somewhere.... Ah, here she is (as bookgirl walks into the room, aged 19)

:D

Thanks for that. To be honest, I never met her sister, but I think if someone is looking for an excuse to eat meat they'll find one no matter what. Plus the fact she is very underweight. But doesn't that say more about her relationship with food than a vegan lifestyle?
I don't think I'll ever have kids, but if I did I'd only ever considering staying vegan during pregnancy. Raising them vegan with my OH and our families would be another matter entirely. So I won't bother.

vegetarian_cat
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Oh my God
I just looked up on whether Steve Irwin was a vegetarian or not.
He was such an animal lover, you'd think he was vegetarian but nooooooo !!!

that is what he had to say to explain his position.
I cannot believe he was so......... argggh!!
it's hard to say anything bad about that man , but honestly,
how could he come up with this answer????

Steve Irwin: "I went through a big stage of my life where I thought, you know, maybe it would be better to be a vegetarian, so I researched it. In no uncertain terms did I research it. Let's say this represents one cow, which will keep me in food for, let's say, a month. Now that cow needs this much land and food. Well, you can imagine, that cow needs x by x amount of land, and you can grow trees in it. Around that cow, you can have goannas, kangaroos, wallabies. You can have every other single Australian animal in and around that cow. If I was a vegetarian, to feed me for that month, I need this much land, and nothing else can grow there. Herein lies our problem. If we level that much land to grow rice and whatever, then no other animal could live there except for some insect pest species. Which is very unfortunate."

what would you have said to him if you were the interviewer?

DiaShel
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
^ :surprised_ani::surprised_ani::surprised_ani:

I've never heard anything so stupid in my entire life.

Shrapnel
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I'd say, "What. The. Fuck?"

DiaShel
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
I'd say, "What. The. Fuck?"

Exactly, I mean, how do you make an intelligent agreement over something so completely ridiculous? There's no talking sense to people that dumb.

Shrapnel
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Exactly, I mean, how do you make an intelligent agreement over something so completely ridiculous? There's no talking sense to people that dumb.

Yeah, I mean I'm all for discussion of the topic, and happy to listen to opposing points of view, but when someone brings out an argument so insanely stupid, you simply can't argue since they have put up some wall of stupid through which no logic may pass.

Mahk
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Imagine going to a picnic with Steve Irwin. If accidentally you left the picnic basket at home he'd rationalize that it was therefore acceptable to eat you! "Sorry, but there's nothing else around". :eek: Run!
---

"Help save animals by killing them." -Steve Irwin [joke]

Manzana
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM

I would have said "you are not very good at maths, are you?"... :satisfied:

vegetarian_cat
Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Has anyone have a clue if someone from PETA etc have tried to contact his wife
and put some sense into her at least?

terem
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
"Herein lies our problem. If we level that much land to grow rice and whatever, then no other animal could live there except for some insect pest species. Which is very unfortunate."

That's absurd, I can't believe Steve Irwin is that ignorant.

terem
Mar 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM
So I visited my friend this weekend at her school, and not having seen her for a while she asked me if I was still doing "the whole veggie thing." I told her I had since become vegan and the whole weekend she asked what I could or could not eat in the dining hall at her dorm. She offered me a pop tart because I was hungry, but since it had milk products in it I declined. She said I was crazy and that I should just eat it. I asked her if it would be more acceptable if I had a disease or some kind of health problem that prevented me from eating animal byproducts, and she said yes.

So it's bad that I'm vegan because of ethical reasons, but it would be completely fine if it was because I had a disease. What?

Quantum Mechanic
Mar 4th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I think it might bother some people, to see people decline a "food" item where they would have no problem eating it, when the reason is for ethics and they see no ethical quandary eating it (or they do see some of what the problem is, but it is not enough to overcome their want of the item). So they must visualize you as being a person of enormous restraint, or as being extreme, or finicky and unreasonable. It can make it easier to continue doing the same thing they're doing, if they "can't" do it different, or if it'd be "unreasonable" to do it differently, by choice rather than absolute necessity.

BJJNick
Mar 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
So I visited my friend this weekend at her school, and not having seen her for a while she asked me if I was still doing "the whole veggie thing." I told her I had since become vegan and the whole weekend she asked what I could or could not eat in the dining hall at her dorm. She offered me a pop tart because I was hungry, but since it had milk products in it I declined. She said I was crazy and that I should just eat it. I asked her if it would be more acceptable if I had a disease or some kind of health problem that prevented me from eating animal byproducts, and she said yes.

So it's bad that I'm vegan because of ethical reasons, but it would be completely fine if it was because I had a disease. What?

This seems pretty standard in how non-vegans act. Toward me at least. I saw a youtube video of a person saying, "If you're a vegan because you want to lose weight and be more healthy, more power to you. If you're a vegan because you think animals are cute, then F*ck you!"

So, to be selfish in the sense of only caring about your looks is okay. But to be completely selfless due to your beliefs is NOT okay... nice.

sandra
Mar 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
"If you're a vegan because you want to lose weight and be more healthy, more power to you. If you're a vegan because you think animals are cute, then F*ck you!"

So, to be selfish in the sense of only caring about your looks is okay. But to be completely selfless due to your beliefs is NOT okay... nice.

That's the sort of attitude that makes me really despair of human beings! :(

As you say BJJNick, they seem to think it's ok to be selfish but not to be considerate of other living beings! :confused:

Prawnil
Mar 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I can't believe Steve Irwin is that ignorant.
Was, unfortunately.

There aren't that many things in the world that depress me quicker than youtube and its comment sections. :sad:

Ruby Rose
Mar 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
re INDEX CARDS - I really, really want some. I want them laminated and in a box like a pack of playing cards, and I want each one to say on the back "Stupid Questions that Morons Ask" so that when I shuffle through and hold one up to read out the answer, that's what the stupid questioner sees.

DiaShel
Mar 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM
re INDEX CARDS - I really, really want some. I want them laminated and in a box like a pack of playing cards, and I want each one to say on the back "Stupid Questions that Morons Ask" so that when I shuffle through and hold one up to read out the answer, that's what the stupid questioner sees.

This idea just gets better and better. :bigsmile:

Shisha Fiend
Mar 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/index.html wow I can't work out if that's for real or not...