PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Kitteh
Mar 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I did this with a Greenpeace "chugger" as you call it. Asked her how she can be an environmentalist and eat meat. She said she'd been thinking about it and would try. I ended up giving them money.

This annoys me with Greenpeace as well and we have something here called the Australian Conservation Foundation. There was a an online section about what I do to be green and the only veggie-ish option was "I reduce the amount of meal-based meals I eat per week" so I emailed them everytime I got it to say "include a vegan option because you guys know it has a lot to do with reducing your carbon footprint". No one ever replied and it's still not an option.

Stop being lazy and admit that being vegan is imortant.

DiaShel
Mar 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM
http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/index.html wow I can't work out if that's for real or not...

That HAS to be a joke!

Sarabi
Mar 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
That HAS to be a joke!
I have seen that site many times before but never actually read it. I finally read through its pages, and it is clearly not a joke. It just uses extreme descriptions of vegetarians, which makes you think it's a joke. If it were a joke, you would have to wonder who the hell would put so much research and work into such a website - certainly not a vegan trying to make fun of people.

Oh, I just found a page that says who "they" are.

Vegetarians are not just evil, they are also inconsiderate idiots. Many of you have certainly, by now, had vegetarian friends over for the Thanksgiving holiday. Usually, we omnivorous folk are very considerate for the dietary 'requirements' of our neurotic cronies and we usually prepare enough non-meat items to ensure that our vegetarian guests can have a delightful time and partake in a unique holiday tradition which, in America, spans the generations, heritages and cultures of the fine people who make up our great nation.
Our first Thanksgiving with Vegetarian guests went something like this:
We are Americans and live abroad, therefore, we get together with other American expatriates once each year to share this uniquely American tradition. It was 'our turn' and Thanksgiving is usually a huge chore without the extra work of vegetarian guests - who generally expect that their eccentric dietary decision will be catered to in what seems to be a sort of bizarre acknowledgement of demonstrating their moral superiority. Nobody bothered to tell them that if there were, in fact any real vegans or vegetarians on the Mayflower some 400 years ago, they would have most certainly been the first to perish...
However, we are not combative vegetarians, so we prepared a mountain of vegetarian cuisine in addition to the usual Turkey-day fare, plenty of which would pass muster with the strictest vegans and fruitarians. In addition to turkey and the trimmings we had manicotti, eggplant parmigiana, pasta pesto, pasta e fagioli and a cornucopia of meatless delights to satisfy the most discriminating vegetarian (with a distinctly Italian-ethnic cant). While we were preparing this repast, we wondered if vegetarians prepare meat dishes for their omnivorous/carnivorous guests. Do they prepare them to look like vegetables?

DiaShel
Mar 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I have seen that site many times before but never actually read it. I finally read through its pages, and it is clearly not a joke. It just uses extreme descriptions of vegetarians, which makes you think it's a joke. If it were a joke, you would have to wonder who the hell would put so much research and work into such a website - certainly not a vegan trying to make fun of people.

Oh, I just found a page that says who "they" are.

This kind of stupidity shocks me every time. You think I'd be used to it.

Shrapnel
Mar 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Heh, I read through it a while, and I couldn't imagine it as being serious. I mean, it's just so ignorant I thought it had to be satire. No omni I know is that stupid or that much of a jerk. But then again, I'm sure it is possible the people here are serious.

Rebbecca
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
This happened to me earlier today in the cafe que at the library:

Randomer: "You're vegan? I don't trust vegans."
Me: "Why not?"
Randomer: "Well, Hitler was a vegetarian and so is Heather Mills."
Me: "Okay..."
Randomer: "And they are both horrible people who don't deserve to live."
Me: "Well Hitler is already dead and I don't see what Heather Mills has done to deserve to die"
Randomer: "God, vegans are so stupid!"

At this point it was his turn to be served, but I did'nt really know what to say to him anyway!

terem
Mar 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Was, unfortunately.

There aren't that many things in the world that depress me quicker than youtube and its comment sections. :sad:

Ah oops, sorry about that.

helen105281
Mar 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
A colleague at work who I haven't seen for a while asked me today what I was up to and I told her about going to Brighton soon for the Vegan fair. She looked at me and said "so do you all wear funny clothes?" Bless her. I couldn't help smiling. This is the same person who once asked me if there were tomatoes in tinned tomatoes.

Mahk
Mar 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
"Hitler was a vegetarian."

My index card:

"Not true, he occasionally took on a vegetarian diet for digestive issues short term, but pretending for the moment you were correct, did you know he didn't smoke, too? Does that mean all non-smokers are evil?!"

This absurdly flawed logic is sometimes called reductio (or argumentum) ad Nazium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum)

Buddha Belly
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM
"Hitler was a vegetarian."

My index card:

"Not true, he occasionally took on a vegetarian diet for digestive issues short term, but pretending for the moment you were correct, did you know he didn't smoke, too? Does that mean all non-smokers are evil?!"

This absurdly flawed logic is sometimes called reductio (or argumentum) ad Nazium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum)

I have told that to someone before who came out with that crap. Pol Pot and Stalin ate meat and they are famed for their love of human life!
The smoking thing was an arguement i used too.

bradders
Mar 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
something often forgotten is how much compassion some people have in one half of their life and how much disregard for life and pain in their other. Himmler objected to hunting deer for sport but was responsible for the deaths of the countless many humans. Some people are able as part of their condition to separate themselves in this way allowing and perhaps causing acts of true horror. This is much the same as one who 'follows orders' justifying acts as being part of their job, those who are willing and able to inflict pain when told to do so by a person of authority and when people see but blinker themselves to homeless people and beggars on the street.

Meat eating is similar to this. People are taught by society to kill and eat animals when they know that it is wrong to kill and that animals do feal pain (rare it may be that they will admit this). They just shut out these facts and get on with it. A bit like flicking off a switch (that happens to be the alarm and sprinkler system before lighting a camp fire in a hotel bedroom!)

pat sommer
Mar 10th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Hi Rebecca, some people just want to pick fights; we don't have to argue with them.

All purpose conversation killer:

Well, I've learned to be nice to people I really dislike; have a nice day (with an icy smile and dead stare).

Mahk
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:16 AM
^:D

terem
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Me: "Well Hitler is already dead and I don't see what Heather Mills has done to deserve to die"

At this point it was his turn to be served, but I did'nt really know what to say to him anyway!

I would have liked to hear what he had to say about Heather Mills.

DiaShel
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:32 AM

:eek::mad:

What kind of person would say this too someone? I definitely would have lost it. You have great self control for not grabbing him by his hair and slamming his head into the counter as soon as he turned around.

buttons
Mar 10th, 2009, 03:24 AM

Oooh! Ooohh! Just thought of a reply:

"Jeffrey Dahlmer(sp?) ate meat. I mean, if we're going to just toss around inherently flawed arguments..."

(apologies if someone else has already thought of that)

Shrapnel
Mar 10th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Oooh! Ooohh! Just thought of a reply:

"Jeffrey Dahlmer(sp?) ate meat. I mean, if we're going to just toss around inherently flawed arguments..."

(apologies if someone else has already thought of that)

or "Hitler breathed oxygen, so therefore, unless you want to be a Nazi, you should stop breathing."

Manzana
Mar 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM

How about Stalin and president Mugabe eat meat and they are also horrible people?

Zero
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Recently from a co-worker "Do you actually enjoy your food?" :rolleyes:

Spud Addict
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
If that pillock said to me that Hitler was vegetarian, I would probably say "actually he wasn't, and anyway, don't you know the difference between vegetarianism and veganism? God meat eaters are so stooopid!"

BlackCats
Mar 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM

:rollseyes_ani::D

Shrapnel
Mar 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Of course not. Enjoyment is a frivolity, and leads to sin.

Bartlebee
Mar 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Got these two last saturday,
If someone offered you a leather chair would you take it?
and this was a trick you out question
If animals are 90% water and you drink water aren't you drinking animals?

bradders
Mar 12th, 2009, 12:38 AM
arg blooming omnies

DiaShel
Mar 12th, 2009, 02:09 AM
aren't you drinking animals?

That's a new level of dumb