PDA

View Full Version : Soya brands owned by dairy industry?

orchidprint
May 6th, 2004, 03:56 PM
yes, that brings up another question. is it just as harmful to animals to buy vegan products produced by big dairy? i think it's best to avoid it, but i also think that it may support companies to promote using soy products to the masses. silk, for example, is owned by big dairy, and yet they seem to be encouraging the consumption of soymilk. they have products out like "very vanilla" soymilk marketed to kids, mocha latte soymilk, soy coffee creamer, etc. that make it seem more normal and acceptable to your average omnivore to drink it and maybe to switch over from milk.

mattd
May 7th, 2004, 01:10 AM
i'm not sure if this matters all that much, but i don't think the dairy companies are really "encouraging" people to drink soy milk. they're just trying to buy up all the competition so that they have more money in their pockets. to them, it really doesn't matter if you drink cow's milk or soy milk. as long as they're getting rich it's all good.

now to be fair i can't say that strictly vegan companies don't share the same attitude. but i'd rather support the smaller guy who probably does follow at least some ethical practices as opposed to a gaint multinational corporation that only see's in dollar signs.

but it is up to individuals, and if you do choose to buy silk or wesoy or any of the others owned by big dairy i really could care less. you're still doing a hell of alot more than the average person. so it's still comendable.

gertvegan
May 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
buying soy milk from companies that are owned by big dairy

Is this just in the US ?

mattd
May 7th, 2004, 03:49 PM
i'm not sure. it depends on what soy milk brands they sell outside the US. and how powerful dairy corporations outside the US.

freeweatherfield
May 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
So just out of curiosity which soy brands are supported by the dairy industry? i really dislike the taste of eden soy, but if, for example, silk is owned by aforementioned industry then i can try to train my taste buds.

mattd
May 7th, 2004, 05:30 PM
the only two brands that i know for sure that are safe around where i live are eden soy and almond breeze. almond milk tastes alot better, it just doesn't have as much protien and is a little more expensive. i know silk is owned by a dairy company (deans), and so is wesoy, and i'm pretty sure soy dream and rice dream are too. i think pacific might still be independent, but i'm not totally sure. i didn't care alot for eden soy at first either, but i've aquired a taste for it now. i don't usually drink on it's own. i just use it in cereal and cooking. i buy chocolate almond breeze to drink. if you can find that where you live, get some. it is the best chocolate drink i've ever had.

ps. just so you know, it's the company that makes silk (white wave) that is owned by deans. i know alot of people buy their tofu as well.

eve
Nov 1st, 2004, 06:33 AM
Many dairy companies want to get in on the soymilk business, and the soymilk that I use, Vitasoy, is made from whole Australian organically grown soybeans, but it is owned by Dairy Products. Frankly, we have less and less input on this sort of thing, and if their soymilk business grows, well that's fine by me. It is an excellent soymilk. Incidentally, someone on this thread mentioned Tofutti - today I checked their ingredients listing, and it includes 'lactic acid from dairy'. In this case, I would not buy it, however great it is supposed to taste.

iluvanimals
Aug 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Many dairy companies want to get in on the soymilk business, and the soymilk that I use, Vitasoy, is made from whole Australian organically grown soybeans, but it is owned by Dairy Products. Frankly, we have less and less input on this sort of thing, and if their soymilk business grows, well that's fine by me. It is an excellent soymilk. Incidentally, someone on this thread mentioned Tofutti - today I checked their ingredients listing, and it includes 'lactic acid from dairy'. In this case, I would not buy it, however great it is supposed to taste.

There are a lot of confusing terms out there, that appear non-vegan (how could anything lactic be non-dairy-derived?) - BUT it is worthwhile to do a little research.... Tofutti products are vegan. See quote below, in response to a 'frequently asked question' about the lactic acid you spoke of:

"The lactic acid we use is of vegetable origin, not dairy. It is produced from microbial fermentation of certain vegetables and other ingredients. It simply simulates the functionality of regular lactic acid. We always use “veg” or “vegetable” before the words lactic acid to let consumers know that is where the ingredient comes from."