PDA

View Full Version : Stevia

X Factor
Jun 6th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Stevia Dietary Supplement

Has anyone tried this stuff? My mom gave it to me when she found out that I'm going vegan. She only used it in drinks as a sugar substitute. Any other uses for it?

Any input will be appreciated. :)

foxytina_69
Jun 6th, 2004, 05:32 PM
yes i use it in my tea sumtimes and its good. it has sort of a bittery sweetness to it but i like using it more then sugar.

Aristarchus
Jun 6th, 2004, 06:04 PM
I grow it in my herb garden. A single leaf will sweeten a whole jar of suntea (or any tea). I have not tried the stuff from the store yet because of other complaints of *bitterness*. I did not experience that with the leaves. It was really a subtle sweetness rather then a syrupy sweetness.

X Factor
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks foxytina and Aristarchus, I tried some in my morning coffee, it was pretty good. I didn't really taste bitterness though, maybe because of the coffee. I really like it better than maple syrup, which was too syrupy for me. :)

ksabe98
Aug 5th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I am just beginning to prepare for a vegan, chemical free, and organic lifestyle. I am very ill with Lupus and Fibromyalgia amongst several other arthritic conditions. Any way I am preparing now and would like to know if you use stevia in your diets and do alot of you eat raw vegan diets? thanks for your time.

Alexis
Aug 6th, 2004, 12:25 AM
I don't use stevia in my diet (i don't know what it is) but I am now transitioning into a raw vegan. I average from 70 - 100% raw most days. I occasionally have bad days where I will eat only about 40-60% raw. But these days are decreasing and I am starting to feel the benefits (this could be psychosomatic though). I use mostly organic fresh produce but often it is hard to find here. I go to about four different grocery stores to get all the different kinds of organic produce I want. I still have to buy some things non-organic. In the winter it is even harder to find organic so I am happy it is summer here! :)

cast_the_flames
Aug 6th, 2004, 06:53 AM
i think i have stevia sitting around somewhere from when my mom went on a diet, but i dont use it. i tend not to like sweeteners in things anyway. i also don't eat very much raw food, although the idea is very intruiging, and i think i would like to explore it more. hmm, this reply was probably not helpful at all. sorry!

Veganmama
Aug 6th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Good luck with the transition, it can't do anything but good for your health. We are a Vegan, organic, and mostly Raw family, one thing i would recommend is to start practicing sprouting, it's great way to get you protien.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Stevia is believed to have many health benefits (fights decay , good for oral hygeine, levels out blood sugar etc.) but I much prefer using dates as my "sugar" source for raw foods preparation. I am a Organic Vegan Chef and Holistic Health Practitioner and create 100% Raw, Living Cuisine for clients on a weekly basis. I have seen many people with your conditions experience massive positive changes in their health through following a natural vegan lifestyle, especially when they were willing to go raw! I worked at Optimum Health Institute, where people come to heal from Cancer, Lupus, to do a Drug Detox and the like and have seen amazing things happen when people follow a raw diet. Let me know if you'd like any information and I'll help out, along with Veganmama! :)

Wildflower
Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:15 AM
I have heard different opinions regarding the safety of stevia.

I thought I was avoiding it, but recently noticed that it is in the Yogi Tea brand of tea I drink.

Any thoughts/opinions on stevia? Do you use it? Do you avoid it?

Tigerlily
Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
The only reason why I avoid it is because the aftertaste is way too funky and not worth using to save myself the 16 calories from a teaspoon of sugar in my tea.

Other than that, it's all natural and it isn't the same as Splenda or Sweet'n'Low.

Wildflower
Apr 4th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I didn't even notice it in the tea, maybe because it is stevia leaf?

I did think the tea was very sweet though, which prompted me to re-read the label.

insubordination
Apr 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I want to have it because I've banned sugar but every time I've tried it (even just a little bit), I had stomach cramps and diahorrea. Pity, because I'd really like to include it in my diet.

veggiegirl3
Apr 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I use it fairly regularly. The aftertaste is bad if you have too much, but I like it with just a sprinkle.

Yogini
Jan 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I put liquid stevia in my water bottle pretty much every time I fill it up. It makes me more likely to actually drink from it (I used the root beer flavored kind and I love root beer.)

I read today in Vegetarian Times that large amounts of stevia can cause reproductive problems.

1) I don't care to reproduce; in fact, if VT said taking large amounts of the stuff would make me sterile without causing other problems, I'd triple my intake of stevia immediately. However, should I worry about other problems with my reproductive organs? I'm not using my uterus, but I don't necessarily want a tumor in it, either.

2) The article completely fails to state what a large amount of stevia would be. (Thanks, VT. Very helpful.:mad: :confused: ) Can anybody clue me in there? Links or references to print sources would be doubly appreciated.

Thank you.

twinkle
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM
here's (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:qUjThhF9ONgJ:www.cspinet.org/nah/4_00/stevia.html+stevia+reproductive&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a) a random url I got when I googled stevia reproductive.

reproduction concerns seem to have come from studies on rats and hamsters :(

kiwi.tyger
May 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've just been to a raw food workshop, and stevia was mentioned, although apparently it's not legal to produce commercially in the UK (not sure of the details). My raw friend uses it occaisionally, but prefers agave or dates. I haven't tried it, as the only way to get it here is to import it from the USA, but I'm quite intrigued to taste it now!

Corum
Jun 30th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Twinkle, your post has answered my questions that I had today... I went into the local healthfood shop near us and the chap there said, "they have it in america because they think it's brilliant but over here we don't... because it's not!"

I don't think me and Hemlock will be bothering to try it in the future... experiments on rats and hamsters indeed... :mad: :rolleyes:

Shaolin Jedi
Oct 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
stevia was mentioned, although apparently it's not legal to produce commercially in the UK (not sure of the details)....the only way to get it here is to import it from the USA, but I'm quite intrigued to taste it now!

This is true, here is the government webpage on Stevia - http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/stevia

However, there are several UK Stevia suppliers. I have recently bought Stevia tablets from a UK based herbalist - www.herbsforhealing.org.uk

FatPassionFishPoet
Oct 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Personally, I'm really glad to see that Stevia is, indeed, vegan, which was was the reason I was nosing around here!

My father has been using Stevia products in almost everything (tea, apple pie, etc) because it's the only sugar-like sweetener he can eat, due to his Colitus. I think the product is absolutely fantastic. It is supposed to have zero calories (hip hip horray!) and only a tiny amount should be used, because it's so sweet - this means that it manages to last for a long while! I'd reccomend it to anyone, and will most likely start incorperating it into my diet from now on too!

Shaolin Jedi - I looked on the website you provided for Stevia in the UK, but couldn't find anything on there site? Is there somewhere specific you have to look, or am I just a moron? Ahahaha. We've been buying from America, but it really would be great to find some suppliers here in the UK!

patientia
Dec 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Too bitter, too expensive, doesn't taste like sugar, I had to throw it away.

JC
Jan 31st, 2010, 04:28 PM
I just bought some from abroad, but i'm worried about bringing it back to the UK with me. I mean, can you put it in your hand luggage?

Edit: ^ i just found steviainfo.com which seems to have a lot of vegan recipes using stevia, in case anyone's interested.