PDA

View Full Version : need a way to liven up hummous

seanymph
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
hummous is a high energy, filling food but i cant seem to appreciate it. Is there a way of making the most of it? Added vegetable stock and spices mixed with salad..... :confused:

Mr Flibble
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
home made or store bought?

seanymph
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
oh either im not fussy. If its vegan then it do fine. :)

Artichoke47
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Add roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes!

Mr Flibble
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM
oh either im not fussy. If its vegan then it do fine. :)

by far the easiest way then is to just buy flavoured humous. Sainsburys sell various varieties.

seanymph
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
hey thanks that appears to a very good choice and one i havnt heard of before. Used tomato pesto once and that was nice. Well...artichoke you have given me the inspiration to impress the omnivores with that hummous recipie.

Mr Flibble
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Used tomato pesto once and that was nice.

If it wasn't home made, do you mind me asking which brand? I haven't seen a widely available tomato pesto in the UK which is vegan. The main one (http://www.sacla.co.uk/products/details.asp?pId=3) available in supermarkets is non vegetarian.

seanymph
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
thankyou mr flibble (very convenient!)

sophia
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
add an avocado to it, or add some chopped olives. It is better to either make your own and add it, or just buy plain hummus and add it to that, because they charge loads in the shops for flavoured hummus.:p

Tigerlily
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Well hummous is a boring thing and I don't think traditionally it's suppose to be eaten alone but as a part of an appetizer/larger meal. ;)

Kim[ba]
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I've been experimenting with curry powder, cayyene pepper, and sometimes lemon zest which really gives it a tangy kick :)

Kumem
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I have always hated the stuff until I tried Sainsburys roasted red pepper and the roasted vegetable ones - they are lovely :)

twinkle
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Sunita vegan pesto (and also their jars of just minced basil in oil) are very nice mixed with hummous, though a touch pricey - you can get them here, from Goodness Direct (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/714399.html).

I've seen vegan sundried tomato pesto before, but it was in Cook's Delight organic grocery in Berkhamsted so that's probably not a lot of help to MrFlibble :) - I think it was one that had been imported from Germany.

LunaVanillaVega
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Homemade hummus recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups canned or soaked chick peas
1/4 cup water
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (pressed or finely chopped)
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons tahnini (sesame paste)
olive oil (to taste)

Directions:
1. Mix everything together in a blender/processor
or mash by hand until very smmoth and creamy.
2. Drizzle olive oil on finished blend, serve with bread and/or veggies

Hummus is perfect to be served with your favorite pita, lavash, bagel, whole wheat, or other bread. Try it on toast. It's also good with lentils. Hummus can be stuffed into veggies like tomatoes and peppers, too!

Fun with Hummus ! Delicious hummus additives:
Veggies:
- tomatoes (chopped raw or sundried)
- olives
- red bell peppers (roasted or chopped raw)
- spinach (chopped and cooked)
- artichoke hearts
- broccoli
- carrots
- cauliflower
Seeds:
- seasame seeds
- sunflower seeds (shelled and roasted)
- poppy seeds
Spices & Flavorings:
- extra lemon juice
- lime juice
- extra garlic (pressed or finely chopped)
- dijon mustard
- pesto (paste made of sundried tomatoes, basil, and olive oil)
- basil
- red chili powder
- curry powder

My favorite way to eat hummus is on toasted bread with extra garlic and tomatoes... fabulous!