PDA

View Full Version : Sad over failed recipe. How can I rescue it?

Morna
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Hi everyone.

Today I made some soup with onions, carrots, celery, black beans, veggie stock, tomato sauce, rice and chives (and some added water). It was wonderful the first time I tested it, but I let it cook WAY too long and the flavors all went away. For some reason, this really made me sad. Does that happen to anyone else, or am I just being overly emotional?

Also, what can I do with this soup now? It's gross, but I don't want to throw it away (I don't think it's right to waste food). Anybody got any suggustions that would make this stuff, if not good, at least palatable? If all else fails, I'll heavily spike it with hot sauce.

Seaside
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Hot sauce sounds good to me!

You could try some wine, or a few cubes of vegetable bouillion, or some dried herbs, or a dash of liquid smoke. Maybe all it needs is a little salt and pepper? It sound like it ought to be tasty. I hope you can make it good.

tipsy
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM
my first thought was to turn it into a base, add rice, veggies, i donnno....

thats what i would probably do....:D

tipsy
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:52 AM
is there allot of it?

maybe hot sauce is the trick....:confused:

Morna
Jan 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM
What I might actually do is simmer most of the liquid out of it, then use it as a burritto filling. The beans and rice would work fine for that, and smothered in salsa and sour cream (toffutti of course) the fact that the filling isn't too tasty wouldn't be such an issue.

Cherry
Jan 10th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Don't be sad. Cooking's all about trial and error, and you've clearly learned something from your very minor disaster so it's all good.

sugarmouse
Jan 10th, 2006, 11:20 AM
;) ;) i get upset when my recipes dont work aswell! and i wont waste foood!
bobillyudylan put beetroot in some soup once, and i cant stand the stuff.i didnt know what to do with it after this, and its still in my freezer!

burrito filling is a good idea:)
or jus keep adding more stock and more veggies, or perhaps a couple of vegan cup soups.they hyave rescued someof my failures before!

foxytina_69
Jan 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
why dont you just add extra liquid (if too much cooked off) like veggie broth to add some flavour, and add spices, salt and pepper? if its simply the fact that theres no flavour left, re-introduce flavour! :)

Morna
Jan 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I might just do that, though today I found that with a generous amount of hot sauce and some vegan sour cream, it was actually quite good. I'm going to freeze the rest for some quick lunches.