PDA

View Full Version : Vegan in Vietnam/Bangkok

elflick
Jan 10th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Has anyone been to vietnam? Im going there in April and am really worried about the food situation. I read that they cook most their food in fish sauce and also add alot of eggs.

I've been told veganism is a privilidge of the west but I was amazed to hear this as I thought it would be easy to go to asia and stay vegan - mainly because of buddhism (although I guess what with the vietnam war and all its made the vietnamese not very good at it).

I know I can easily do it in the big cities where there will be vege only restaurants but when we go on trips out trekking etc this may prove to be difficult... I was also keen to try the street food on the markets etc...

So has anyone experienced this? Are there any particular dishes to try?

Also I'm going to be in bangkok for 4 days, is it easier to eat vegan here? How abot the street food here? Any dishes to try?

I know its alot of questions, but if you could answer any of them it would be greatly appreciated!

Hemlock
Jan 10th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Dunno about vietnam but my son had a hard time in China and he wasn't even vegan at that time (he is now), he was vegetarian. He says tell everyone you are a strict vegan for religious reasons or they get really upset, but nonetheless he spent a lot of time eating plain noodles and his chinese hosts kept telling him he was missing out big time on the local culture.

rujoon
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I havent been to vietnam, but heres a link u may find useful :)
http://www.happycow.net/asia/vietnam/index.html

Yes, veganism is really a privilege of the west - I agree with that :D Vegetarian chinese food is mostly vegan to the best of my knowledge. Whether veg food is easy to get will depend on the availability of veg places in the country.

Are u on a package tour or free and easy? If u r on package tour maybe u can tell the tour agency ur situation, they will arrange for u. If u are on free and easy, maybe u wanna bring some snack bars or smth.. I dunno the situation there, but just in case.

As for street food, do ensure their safety b4 u eat it..
http://www.letsgo.com/destinations/asia_pacific/thailand/essentials/safetyhealth.php#food_diseases

China was ok to me, i was on a packaged tour though, almost every meal we will have veggies :D I wouldnt say that the veg food is excellent because we were eating at non-veg restaurants (there were omnis in the tour group).