PDA

View Full Version : I got a vegan care package!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Poison Ivy
Mar 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
There's quite a few places sell it online (mostly BBQ places or those that import American speciality products)...linky (http://www.socal.co.uk/Sauces_And_Rubs/Stubbs/Stubbs_Hickory_Liquid_Smoke_1_Bottle/294/17197):)

pavotrouge
Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Liquid smoke isn't sold anywhere in the UK because some of the flavourings are forbidden to be used in food in the EU. A friend once tried to send me a bottle from the US and they wouldn't let it through customs.
Same goes for stevia.

Buddha Belly
Apr 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Do you think it would be possible to get some American drug mules to changes cargo for just one trip?

cedarblue
Apr 4th, 2009, 10:53 AM
thanks so much to veganf for the lovely care package i just received - so many tasty looking things - i hope she enjoys hers when it reaches her!

pavotrouge
Apr 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Do you think it would be possible to get some American drug mules to changes cargo for just one trip?

having expat American vegan hippies who visit their families once a year as friends helps :)

Ananas
Apr 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Liquid smoke isn't sold anywhere in the UK because some of the flavourings are forbidden to be used in food in the EU. A friend once tried to send me a bottle from the US and they wouldn't let it through customs.
Same goes for stevia.

Seriously? My parents always bring liquid smoke with them when they've been on holiday in the usa, and they would never do anything that's illegal :P got it myself that way too. It is accidentally found in (web)shops here as well.
And about stevia, i've just been able to buy it online from a dutch website... but im not so happy about the taste, to be honest.

pavotrouge
Apr 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
they don't check traveller's bags for it (that's how I get mine), but every now and then customs check parcels for it.

(I tried growing my own stevia last year, very unsuccessful...)

veganf
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Same goes for stevia.

Wow, I almost got some to mail in my swap...glad I didn't! Seriously, what is in it that is banned?? :confused: Vegan liquid smoke looks pretty darned benign to me!

veganf
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
thanks so much to veganf for the lovely care package i just received - so many tasty looking things - i hope she enjoys hers when it reaches her!

Glad you like it!
Once I get my package I'll totally be up for another from a different locale. My husband likes the idea too so he doesn't mind the shipping costs.

veganf
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM
OKAY, so here's the ingredients on my liquid smoke:
water, natural hickory smoke flavour, vinegar, molasses, caramel color, salt.
:surprised_ani: So dangerous!
Anyhow, I'd be willing to chance it and mail some to people in the UK. :thumbsup: It's Colgin brand and says vegan right on the bottle.

- Krista

pavotrouge
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM

it's the hickory smoke flavour that's suspected to cause cancer. but then what doesn't :rolleyes:

veganf
Apr 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Seriously?? I mean I know how they make the stuff and I just don't get it. Oh well.

Buddha Belly
Apr 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Anyhow, I'd be willing to chance it and mail some to people in the UK. :thumbsup: It's Colgin brand and says vegan right on the bottle.

- Krista

Let me know how much to buy and send and how to get the money to you!
Would there be anything you want?

veganf
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'd be fine with a 1:1 swap...1 bottle of liquid smoke for 1 other yummy vegan UK food item.

Ruby Rose
May 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I got a package from the lovely Ellaminnowpea - loads of chocs, peanut chews, cookies, mint UFOs! It's fab - and I'm going to enjoy every last bit of it! :)

RubyDuby
May 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Same goes for stevia.

I've sent some twice now and luckily it made it through! Didn't realize it was banned!

RubyDuby
May 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
don't you guys have vegan cadbury eggs there in the UK? and is cheezly too perishable to ship?

I'd love to do another swap!

I have liquid smoke, oreos and wheat gluten readily available and can look for whatever else...

Ms_Derious
May 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Same goes for stevia.

They stock it at 'Let's Eat'

They are an American Ex Pat shop in Milton Keynes (UK) and while I can't see any online, they have it in the shop most of the time.

http://www.letseatdirect.com/acatalog/Contact_Us.html

Gorilla
May 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
don't you guys have vegan cadbury eggs there in the UK? and is cheezly too perishable to ship?

I'd love to do another swap!

I have liquid smoke, oreos and wheat gluten readily available and can look for whatever else...

there are vegan cream eggs available here but i wouldn't think Cheezly would survive the trip - it goes off very quickly in my experience.

ellaminnowpea
May 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I got a package from the lovely Ellaminnowpea - loads of chocs, peanut chews, cookies, mint UFOs! It's fab - and I'm going to enjoy every last bit of it! :)

You are VERY welcome!
[Marrers, did you get yours yet?!]

I sent each of you a bit of a different care package, but I hope I chose wisely with the American vegan items! Let me know if anything is outstandingly good! I loooooved the care packages I recieved from both of you!! :thumbsup::D

Risker
May 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
there are vegan cream eggs available here but i wouldn't think Cheezly would survive the trip - it goes off very quickly in my experience.

It might be ok if it was frozen before it was sent, I dont mind attempting it but I can only get the strong cheddar flavour locally.

cobweb
May 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
can you freeze it?
i knew someone once who regularly sent Cheezly to the U.S and said it was ok, personally i would be a bit dubious about it.

Risker
May 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I read somewhere else that you could and that it just made it a bit more crumbly after it was defrosted.

cobweb
May 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
oh right, ta, i once e-mailed Redwoods and asked but they told me not to do it, so i didn't!.

Gorilla
May 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It might be ok if it was frozen before it was sent

rather you than me! :p