PDA

View Full Version : Shepherds/Cottage pie

Pob
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Thought I'd post this as I made a few tweaks to an easy meal.

Makes 2 big portions.

Ingredients:
1lb hydrated vegan mince (I used 1/2lb Realeat frozen mince + 8 fl oz water)
1 large onion (diced)
1 leek (thinly sliced)
1 medium courgette (diced)
1 medium carrot (diced)
some mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
1/2 teaspoon yeast extract
1 tablespoon ground nuts (I smashed up a mix of cashew and pine nuts)
4 fl oz water
olive oil

20 fl oz mashed potato (I used packet mash)
1/2 teaspoon grated horseradish (or 1 teaspoon horseradish sauce)
olive oil or margerine

Method:

Peel and boil potatoes if not using packet mash.

Heat enough olive oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom. Fry the onion and carrot for a few minutes until the onion goes translucent. Add the leek and courgette and fry until the onion is going brown. Add the mince, water, stock powder, and yeast extract and bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms and ground nuts and cook until the mushrooms are done (couple of minutes). Check the seasoning.

Mix the mash with the horseradish and about a tablespoon of olive oil or marge.

Pour mince mix into an ovenproof dish, cover with potato mixture, bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes or so until the potato starts to brown.

The essential ingredient is the nuts - it makes a huge difference to the richness of the gravy.
Both the mince mixture and the mash got the thumbs up from my omni wife :)

Skajen
Jan 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
oohh that sounds lovely, thank you :)

Tiggerwoo
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I made this this week and I have to say it was brilliant. Well done Rob for a brilliant recipe.

Jane M
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I like the touch of horseradish. That would spark up the potatoes well. Haven't made a shepard's pie in ages...this is inspiring!

akaredarcher
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I have some TVP left in the cupboard. This would certainly be a good way to use it up. My omni boyfriend doesn't mind TVP in things like tacos etc as a mince substitute so I'm sure this would pass the test. I'll try it this week and let you know how it goes.

Diana
akaredarcher

akaredarcher
Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
This recipe worked out great! I used walnuts for the crushed nuts, and garlic instead of horseradish (could only find some in a jar with dairy in it at the supermarket). I also added a teaspoon of paprika to the mince mix.

My omni boyfriend cleaned his plate and put dibs on the leftovers for his lunch the following day! I'll definitely be making this one again.

Diana
akaredarcher

fadin-shadow
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Sounds Nice Pob, Im hoping to be getting the Realeat Mince next week and i will def be giving your recipe ago. :D It all depends on my Tesco though, fingers crossed it comes. lol

animaladvocate
Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
A healthier alternative to using processed soya mince is the following recipe that uses puy lentils and it's deliciousness has to be tasted to be believed.I love this so much I make it every week!

Half a cup of cooked puy lentils, mashed
one onion, chopped
three carrots, chopped into small pieces
half a cup of fresh spinach, chopped
one stalk of celery, chopped
one large tomato, chopped
two tablespoons of oil
half a teaspoon of dried basil
1 generous tablespoon of soy sauce

boiled potatoes(plain or sweet)for topping and one tablespoon of olive oil

In a saucepan saute the onion, carrots, spinach, celery and tomato in the oil until carrots are tender.
Add mashed lentils, soy sauce and basil and cook for a few more minutes.

Place lentil mixture in ovenproof dish and top with potato that's been mixed with a tablespoon of oil(when using sweet potato i finish it off with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the pie)before it goes in an oven pre heated at 350 for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

I'll taste yours if you taste mine Pob, lol.*winks*

cedarblue
Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
mmmm i like the sound of the lentils as a base!

fadin-shadow
Nov 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
ohh nice animaladvocate, i have ordered extra puy lentils with my shopping for this week. I will deff be giving both recipes ago.

Thanks again:D