PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good arguments PRO eating meat at all?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

phillip888
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:02 AM
I've yet to have someone claiming meat is good for them explain anything in detail to me. It usually goes:

Joe: Meat is good
Me: Why
Joe: it's got protein
Me: name something without protein
Joe: Uh, meat isn't bad
Me: What about cholesterol and high fat content? Parasites and carcinogens? The pain of the animal?(if they are capable of empathy)
Joe: There's no proof of that
Me: Only scientific studies that link high cholesterol and fat intake to heart disease and kidney failure. Also it's true, the animals are killed before you eat them.
Joe: But it says here at MeatisGood.Beef.com that's not true
Me: it's funded by the beef industry, it says so on the front page
Joe: You're a vegan-nazi
Me: a what?
Joe: you're forcing your views on me!
Me: Ah, you started the whole conversation, and is discussion bad?
Joe: ah, no, PeTA sucks! I saw it on TV
Me: What does that have to do with our conversation?
Joe: (fingers in ears, eyes closed, stomping feet) LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Runs away....

cedarblue
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
oh i love that :D :D :D
how true, thats just how the conversations go ;)

julieruble
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
"Only scientific studies that link high cholesterol and fat intake to heart disease"

I'd like to see these. Know where I can find them?

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM
www.google.com (http://www.google.com/)
Type in "heart disease linked to fat intake or cholesterol".

Meanwhile, here's a little food for thought...

Cholesterol and heart disease (http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/cholesterol/chol_eating.html)
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/9377.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002468.htm#skip
http://www.cbsnews.com/stori (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/25/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main619564.shtml)es/2004/05/25/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main619564.shtml (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/25/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main619564.shtml)

julieruble
Jul 15th, 2004, 07:34 PM
The reason I'd like to see some of the studies Phillip mentioned is because I've done google searches and found some sites that seem very well-cited and say there's no proven link between high cholesterol and heart disease.

Thanks very much for the links ConsciousCuisine, I'll definitely look through them when I'm not at work.

tsunami
Jul 21st, 2004, 07:31 AM
It is kind of obvious. Blood travels everywhere and always goes by and to the heart. With the pausing and restarting, it is easier for cholesterol and such to stick. As well as in other places of the body like the brain. Do not ned someone else say it, can think for yourself. True carnivores never getheart problems and what so, until recently with all the drugs and such.

And no one on a plantbased diet every has heart problems, unless genetical. That shows something, and that those who always meat a lot of meat and animal products, die early with heart and other bodily problems.

Anyway many studies have founded this. Just ask for any heart association or study, to give you reports and whatso.

phillip888
Jul 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM
Actually I think the common perception that dietary cholesterol is a health hazard comes from multiple studies, and because of this has ben accepted as a truth by health and medical organizations. If there are studies that prove excessive cholesterol is not a health hazard they are the ones that need to be brought in to the spotlight as they are contrary to established medical knowledge.
To be well cited they must refer to real scientific studies with such findings, not just other persuasive articles or criticism without study. I've yet to find any such credible information myself using google or any other search engine. Those of course are the works I'm interested in.

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:33 PM
Yes, I feel the same way, Philip and this is why I say what I say about meat, eggs etc. not being health-building. Cholesterol containing foods are not health building! It is pretty simple and there are studies and proof to back up these facts, so I am not sure what good, productive, valid reason anyone on this list who has been told this or read of it would have for questioning it still.

TofuMuncher
Aug 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I've yet to have someone claiming meat is good for them explain anything in detail to me.

Yep, I've had these conversations before too, though mine often devolve back to omnivores thinking that veganism is not healthy, and then getting entrenched in their own opinions. In a class that I was teaching a few weeks back, we were talking about the consequences of what we consume, and someone brought up the environmental consequences of eating meat. I mentioned that I don't eat meat, dairy, or eggs, which began the familiar litany of:

Class: so you don't drink milk?
Me: No, only soy milk.
Class: but you eat fish, right?
Me: no. And when was the last time you saw fish growing on a tree?
Class: but how about cheese?
Me: cheese is made from milk. So, no. I don't eat cheese. Look, I don't eat anything that farts, or anything that comes from anything that farts, or anything that has a face.
Class: hmmmm. But that can't be healthy.
Me: I've not missed a day of class yet, and many of you have because you caught that cold going around. Also, how many of you ride your bikes 100 miles each weekend, and 20 miles a day like I do? Could I really do all that riding if veganism was 'unhealthy?'
Class: (perplexed) ummmh. well, it can't be healthy! (now getting hostile) We need meat! Plus, we like it. And you're weird, professor!

And that's where we usually end up. I think when smart people realize that there's no rational reason to eat meat, they end up stuck, and have to resort to mindless entrenchment.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 8th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Ethnocentrism, Cognitive Dissonace, anyone? :)

gertvegan
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:28 PM
The "Pro-Meat Arguments?" (http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qapromeat.htm) article from Joanne Stepaniak is relevant to this thread.

chakra
Nov 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Sitting in the park one day, prior to canvassing for a recycling campaign, a young fellow eating a ham sandwich on white bread, noticing I only brought almond butter on whole wheat sandwichs to eat, asked me why. We went through one of these conversations. While he ended puzzelled and while not as hostile as most, resolved the dialectic by stating he liked meat and couldn't imagine not eating it.

This was in Oregon. At the end of the year he disappeared to Pennsylvania to attend school - and get away from home. Two years later he showed up at my door and informed me he was a vegetarian and thanked me for helping him see the light. I thought surely it was due to intelligent people he had met at the university but no, he told me our conversations convinced him.

I had no idea. One bright light amidst the darkness. I cherish the memory and it keeps me going at other times. Like tomorrow when I go to my sisters and have to watch people glutton themselves with turkey, eggs, and ham.

I just hope there have been others.

snaffler
Nov 24th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I won't beat about the bush NO!

DoveInGreyClothing
Apr 9th, 2005, 04:03 PM
There's no good reason at all....from arguments I've read, the bottom lines boils down to animals taste nice, or financial losses if the meat industry goes under.... nothing worthy.

Billy
Apr 9th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Short but sweet answer to original question: NO. Nuff said

Mozbee
May 22nd, 2005, 01:27 AM
Short but sweet answer to original question: NO. Nuff said
I'm with Billy - woof woof :D

greenworlds
Jun 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM
[Quote] Are there any good arguments PRO eating animal products at all?[Quote]

No :)

littleTigercub
Jun 13th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I think that it is so evident now that the entire Western society needs to cut down on its meat intake. The only person/company who keeps trying to persuade us otherwise is Dr Atkins, and he does this for a reason, i.e. his own financial gain!

littleTigercub

Kumem
Jun 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Isn't he dead? Or did he just have a heart attack? Either way, great advert for eating meat lol

Mozbee
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Yes, he is definately dead. He died very overweight too, I can't remember if it was due to a heart attack but that sounds highly likely. :D
The AtkinsMob tried to cover up all the evidence!

This, presumably, is why atkins diet is now known as the Fatkins Diet ;)

feline01
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:17 PM
His people claim that he slipped on some ice and hit his head. Yeah, like I can't fit into my jeans because they shrunk.

He weighed around 280lbs+ when he died and had a history of heart disease.

Realfood Mary
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I've yet to have someone claiming meat is good for them explain anything in detail to me. It usually goes:

Joe: Meat is good
Me: Why
Joe: it's got protein
Me: name something without protein
Joe: Uh, meat isn't bad
Me: What about cholesterol and high fat content? Parasites and carcinogens? The pain of the animal?(if they are capable of empathy)
Joe: There's no proof of that
Me: Only scientific studies that link high cholesterol and fat intake to heart disease and kidney failure. Also it's true, the animals are killed before you eat them.
Joe: But it says here at MeatisGood.Beef.com that's not true
Me: it's funded by the beef industry, it says so on the front page
Joe: You're a vegan-nazi
Me: a what?
Joe: you're forcing your views on me!
Me: Ah, you started the whole conversation, and is discussion bad?
Joe: ah, no, PeTA sucks! I saw it on TV
Me: What does that have to do with our conversation?
Joe: (fingers in ears, eyes closed, stomping feet) LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Runs away....

:D I had one of these conversations yesterday!!! :D It helps that I laughed when he did the " LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! " thing. In fact I hurt my belly laughing at him. Thanks! :D

Mozbee
Jun 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM
But we know they are 'the nazis'! ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

littleTigercub
Jun 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Atkins dropped dead on the street - he suffered a heart attack and weighed in at 20st

littleTigercub

Realfood Mary
Jun 14th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Well that is a good reason to eat meat. Slow suicide... :rolleyes: Silly old fart could have jumped off a bridge years ago and made the world a better place.