PDA

View Full Version : Banana Oatmeal Health Cookies

SweetLady66
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I made these tonight.Easy and fast. I think the next time I make them I need more cinnamon. I used raisins instead of peanuts. Not bad for the 2nd time of vegan cookies I made. I really want to order vegan cookies offline but I am scared of the shipping price. That's where they get you, a dollar for a cookie and like 4 dollar shipping lol.

http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/6223.shtml

Oh and the best reason why I made these cookies are they are healthy, so they say lol.

I love cooking now!

thecatspajamas1
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the recipe! I've been looking for a cookie recipe that doesn't contain oil. I looove making cookies, but I am trying to eat healthy. There isn't even flour in these- that's so awesome!

So how do they taste?

If you ever plan to make chocolate chip cookies, there is a recipe on vegweb called "happy vegan chocolate chip cookies". I have made this recipe probably at least 10 or 15 times. They are so ridiculously good, and everyone loves them. I especially like to bake them with Sucanat.

SweetLady66
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Those chocolate chip cookies sounds good! I'm not sure how easy it is going to be for me to find vegan chocolate or carob chips. I'm thinking perhaps a health food store, but from what I've check online, all the health food stores in Ohio are in Cincinnati or Columbus, which is a little far.

The cookies taste pretty good actually. After they came out of the oven, about 10 minutes later I put them in a bowl and put a cover over it. Don't do that, they get moist. But not half bad, just needs more cinnamon, wasnt sweet enough for me.

thecatspajamas1
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM
It's actually pretty easy to find vegan chocolate chips. When I go to just a regular supermarket and look through all the choc chips in the baking aisle, usually at least one of the brands is dairy-free, and has cocoa butter instead. Shoprite store brand choc chips are vegan actually, and cheap.

SweetLady66
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Awesome, next time I am at the store I will be sure to look for some choc chips.

Pob
Jan 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
They sound good and easy to make.
Quick question - what is applesauce in US recipes?
Apple sauce in the UK is Bramley (cooking) apples + sugar chopped and cooked to a mush. Basically it is the same as apple pie filling.

grail
Jan 17th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Apple sauce in the UK is Bramley (cooking) apples + sugar chopped and cooked to a mush. Basically it is the same as apple pie filling.

It's peeled apples cooked until soft and then mashed up. It doesn't have to have sugar, in fact it usually doesn't, it can have chunks but is usually pretty smooth texture, like mashed potatoes.

I keep forgetting that the UK doesn't use much applesauce...life without applesauce seems so strange! :o

Juice
Jan 17th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Awesome, next time I am at the store I will be sure to look for some choc chips.
SweetLady, I'm sure you have Kroger since they're based in Ohio. Their generic FMV semi-sweet choc chips were vegan last I bought some. They weren't bad for $1/bag. :p

SweetLady66
Jan 17th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Yes there is a Kroger just 10 minutes or so away. Thanks for the information!

Juice
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM
If you ever plan to make chocolate chip cookies, there is a recipe on vegweb called "happy vegan chocolate chip cookies". I have made this recipe probably at least 10 or 15 times. They are so ridiculously good, and everyone loves them. I especially like to bake them with Sucanat.
I've made this vegan crack twice this week now. I need to stop. I'm gonna PhotoShop my face onto Fat Bastard's body and paste it on the recipe I printed off. Maybe that'll help me resist.

Tigerlily
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
I made these once last year and they didn't turn out. :(

herbwormwood
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:06 PM
I made these tonight.Easy and fast. I think the next time I make them I need more cinnamon. I used raisins instead of peanuts. Not bad for the 2nd time of vegan cookies I made. I really want to order vegan cookies offline but I am scared of the shipping price. That's where they get you, a dollar for a cookie and like 4 dollar shipping lol.

http://vegweb.com/recipes/sweets/6223.shtml

Oh and the best reason why I made these cookies are they are healthy, so they say lol.
I love cooking now!

Heres another one for you- Breakfast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Squares
http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?938

It is true the vegan mail orders can be too expensive. You also have to be at home for the delivery person to call! Much better to make your own!

twinkle
Jan 21st, 2006, 03:07 PM
I found the recipe for happy vegan choc chip cookies too dry when I first tried it, but you just have to fiddle around with it until it works for you - I just added a bit more liquid the next time I made them.

Also, if you can't find vegan choc chips you can always get a bar of chocolate and cut it into chunks. I normally do that anyway, because I prefer big chunks of chocolate in my cookies and muffins :)

SweetLady66
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
herbwormwood- Those sound so good! Thanks for the recipe. I rather not order cookies offline because they can be a lot and I'm scared I will like them and won't stop ordering them lol. Besides, I like cooking.

herbwormwood
Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM
herbwormwood- Those sound so good! Thanks for the recipe. I rather not order cookies offline because they can be a lot and I'm scared I will like them and won't stop ordering them lol. Besides, I like cooking.

I have made the breakfast cinnamon oatmeal squares a few times now and the last time I made them I used millet museli as I did not have any oatmeal, and it worked fine. I think any museli would work if it was heavy on the flakes, so the stuff sticks together. I have them for breakfast spread with tahini and accompanied with an orange cut into quarters, some cashew nuts and some rasins!

Wildflower
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Here is a great site that shows you how to make applesauce (US) with lots of pics. http://www.pickyourown.org/applesauce.htm That recipe is for cinnamon applesauce, when a recipe calls for applesauce, they mean plain applesauce, but cinammon apllesauce would work if you like cinammon. Sometimes people add other fruit too.

You may want to try it! Applesauce (with no added sugar) is considered a health food here and actually really good! It is usually added to recipes to keep them moist when you take fat out (eggs or butter).

Kids eat it all the time for lunches at school - it comes in these tiny cups.

Mmmm...maybe I should make applesauce!

Wildflower
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Oh, my boyfriend, (who is from the uk, now living in the US) say applesauce in the UK is that stuff they call apple puree and serve with ham.

RockyRaccoon
Feb 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Heres another one for you- Breakfast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Squares
http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?938 Thanks for the link herbwormwood. I've made these twice now. They are so easy to make and really delicious. I 'm going to start experimenting now with different fruits/spreads now.

Cheers :D