PDA

View Full Version : Raw Broccoli

Sweets
Jan 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM
i got some raw braccoli today but one problem... no idea how to cook it! or what to cook it with to keep the calories to a minimum! help!!:confused:

Seaside
Jan 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Steam it until it is bright green. Don't cook it until it turns yellow green and limp. My favorite salad at a nearby Italian restaurant is steamed broccoli, which is then chilled and served with olive oil and lemon juice. Its good raw, too, dipped in hummus, but I like it steamed best, or sauteed. You can also slice the stem into thin slices and add them to a stir fry. Peel the thickest part of the stem first.

Enjoy! :)

StmpyElephant
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Streamed Broccoli is so very yummy and very good for you!!!

maya
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Stir fry.

Has anyone ever had chinese broccoli??

Jane M
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I like broccoli lightly steamed then tossed in a pan with lots of garlic sauteed in olive olive oil. I'm on a garlic kick right now though.

Juice
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
it's good if you just lightly steam it with a bit of sea salt

Cherry
Jan 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I love broccoli :D I finished the last of mine yesterday :( I wish I had some more.

I just boil mine in a small amount of water (just for a few minutes. I'd steam but I don't have a steamer) and have it plain or with sesame oil.

Sweets
Jan 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM
wow thanks so much for the ideas!

DoveInGreyClothing
Feb 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Eat it raw in a salad? It soaks up a viniagrette dressing nicely btw

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Has anyone ever had chinese broccoli??
Yes. I LOVE it!

Tigerlily
Feb 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM
PS: Broccoli gives me gas! :p So if you know you're a gassy person, I'd eat this on the weekend or something when you won't be seeing much people. :D

sugarmouse
Feb 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM
break into lil florets n chiuck in a pan with a little oil,diced corguettes n halved cherry tomatoes.season..stir fry until everything tender..add vinagrette /italian dressing or salsa, and whatever the hell else u want....lol
i love that one.goes well with quinoa.

Troub
Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:37 AM
raw and dipped in spinach hummous.

Wildflower
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I eat it raw - on salads or with hummus

Also good on pizza, or in a burrito.

I will have to try steaming it! I just never do.

I put it in a coconut curry last week.

Is chinese broccoli bok choy? I thought it was anyway...