PDA

View Full Version : Vegan salad cream

Pages : [1] 2

GreenEnvy
Jun 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Hey,
I turned vegan two days ago, and I bought some low fat salad cream that doesn't contain egg..and it doesn't appear to contain any dairy products either. Are there any other ingredients I need to look out for?

(Also I bought a bar soap that doesn't contain tallowate but I'm not sure what other ingredients I should be looking out for..?!.)

Caitlin
Jun 27th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Hey Good job on becoming Vegan! Hm.. Im not sure, I use Veganaise for my egg salads or whatever else. It's really delish and you can get it at your Health Food Center. Just look on the back and look up any ingredients you aren't sure of. For the soap.. I would look up the company and see if they are vegan.

GreenEnvy
Jun 27th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I have egg-free mayonaise but I prefer salad cream. The soap is one of Boot's own.

Nivvie
Jun 27th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Salad Cream!!!

Where! Where Did You Get It!!!

Caitlin
Jun 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Oh.. I didn't know there was a difference

Nivvie
Jun 27th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Dammit Greenenvy!

I've sooooooo missed salad cream.
Don't make me get out the thumb srews.......

Caitlin
Jun 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Oh you mean dressing! You can get vegan Salad Dressing at your Health Food Store

Nivvie
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Salad cream's not quite a dressing, it's the consistancy and appearence of yogurt, and you use it like mayonnaise, but it is very vinegar-y like a dressing.

I may have to tortue Green Envy now, so if you're squimish, look away!

Tigerlily
Jun 27th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I never had salad cream but maybe whipping in some vinegar in some mayo would work?

Gorilla
Jun 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
most UK supermarkets sell egg-free salad cream, usually their low-fat brands. i know i've seen it in Tesco and Sainsbury's. Waistline salad cream is also egg-free. i'm not 100% sure they're vegan though, maybe have a look in the Animal Free Shopper www.animalfreeshopper.com to see if they're listed, and if not try contacting the company direct

Pob
Jan 21st, 2006, 08:36 PM
Just discovered that Sainsbury Be Good to Yourself salad cream is vegan!
Tastes just like I remember full fat eggy Heinz salad cream tasting. Now if only someone can get a proper tasting fake mayo...

It is a bit chemically, and has saccharin, but it's salad cream that will fool omnis :) It also got me out of a moral dilemma spot - I really don't want to buy non vegan stuff (for my wife), particularly with eggs in, when I am getting shopping. Obviously I flatly refuse meat stuff, but it's hard with eggs and milk, as I would rather she was veggie than omni. At some stage I may have to agree to buy it if she goes veggie. Still would have to refuse battery egg based products, though.

Soyalicius
Jun 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
My friend told me about some vegan salad cream the other day. It is Sainsbury's good to yourself salad cream.

It is years since I have had it and I missed it. I got some today, had it in salad chips and fishless fish cakes for tea. I loved it, just how I remember it and thoroughly enjoyed my tea.

I just thought I would share it with you.:D

twinkle
Jun 29th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Does it have artificial sweeteners in it? I got some vegan salad cream from the Co-op - it's a light version and has saccharine or some-such in it. I got it for novelty value but I normally avoid sweeteners, and so far my passing interest in trying vegan salad cream hasn't won over my distaste for artificial sweeteners.

Soyalicius
Jun 29th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I'm afraid it has sweetner, sodium saccharin in it. I will keep my eye out for a healthy vegan salad cream though and let you know.

lozza
Jun 29th, 2006, 11:16 PM
try your local health food store ?

bry
Jul 1st, 2006, 12:41 AM
Salad Cream!!!

Where! Where Did You Get It!!!
sainsburys ,be good to your self range saled cream is vegan:)

veggiewoman
Jul 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
lol, I saw this and immedialty thought of putting up about Sainsburys salda cream as I discoverd it just a few days ago , but looks like its already been mentioned a few times lol, it is very yummy .
I agree with Pob, wish I could find a mayo that was just as yummy lol.

Tigerlily
Jul 1st, 2006, 03:14 AM
I want to try this stuff. I don't think salad cream exists in Canada....

Risker
Jul 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
asda 50% less fat (glass bottle) and 70% less fat (plastic bottle) are meant to be vegan according to their website. I've got both types here but I'm not entirely sure about them.

Wildflower
Jul 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM
I want to try this stuff. I don't think salad cream exists in Canada....

I don't think it exists in the US either...allthough I think some specialty (import) stores do carry one british brand of salad cream (maybe heinz?) though I doubt that one is vegan.

I am not so sure I want to try salad cream...i have an aversion to mayonaisse but I have heard the european mayonaisse some people put on fries over there doesn't taste like the mayonaisse we have here, i have heard it is more vinegar-ey as was mentioned about the salad cream.

I suppose I would try it. :o

Tigerlily
Jul 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Heinz (I think??) makes a "salad dressing" that's just like tangy mayonaise (it's even sold in a jar and not a bottle). Is that it?

Wildflower
Jul 1st, 2006, 05:56 PM
This is the stuff I saw -

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10999&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=39&iSubCat=171&iProductID=10999&searchid=inceptor

claireyveg
Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:33 AM
Wildflower I'm 99% sure that one has eggs in it, my parents use that crap... i used to love it when i was a kid, tomato and salad cream sandwiches every single day *shudders* :D

lozza
Jul 4th, 2006, 10:19 PM
i have never liked salad cream.. or mayo. yuech!

Stu
Jul 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I bought the Sainsbury's one. I thought it was a little runny, and not quite like the ones I remember from when I was younger, but I still like it.