PDA

View Full Version : Calcium in organic foods

Morna
Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:37 AM
Hi everyone

It seems like, even in organic foods like canned tomatoes, there's calcium listed. I've the calcium used in most foods comes from rocks. Thoughts?

Artichoke47
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
how much calcium are you talking? are you saying it's fortified or naturally there? if calcium is added, it should be in the ingredients.

herbwormwood
Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone

It seems like, even in organic foods like canned tomatoes, there's calcium listed. I've the calcium used in most foods comes from rocks. Thoughts?

Calcium is a mineral, all minerals would come eventually back in time from rocks when the earth was first formed. The plant takes the mineral from the soil as it grows. Soil contains a lot of tiny rock particles, some about the size of a grain of sand.
The plant puts the minerals inside itself and if a chemist took the plant apart in a lab and separated the minerals out of it they would find a whole lot of different minerals.
Some companies add clacium to foods in order to make them look more apealing to people who are concerned about deficiencies. But if the product is a natural product it probably won't have added ingredients.
If your tin of tomatoes just has tomatoes listed and no added ingredients, the calcium should be what is inside the tomatoes naturally.

Look at
http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/calcium.php

for more on calcium and where to get it in your diet.

You may also find this useful:

http://www.recipecal.com

to find vitamins and mineral content of many foods.

Morna
Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
The calcium is listed as being added. I'm prolly going to call the company today and ask, but when I wrote my post it wasn't during business hours.

Korn
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Would you have a problem with using added calcium if it came from rocks?

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Would you have a problem with using added calcium if it came from rocks?MMMMMMMMMMMMM, rocks ;) (Better than from animal parts and thier products!).

Juice
Jan 24th, 2006, 05:45 PM
so long as it isn't from a pet rock

sk8erboi
Jan 27th, 2006, 12:42 AM
yeah -- definitely not a pet rock :D