PDA

View Full Version : Soya creme

Jo
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Please can someone tell whether I can whip this the same as dairy cream? I'm trying hard to cut out dairy and am cooking a Burn's night supper and want to make a vegan Highland Flummery for sweet! Otherwise any suggestions?

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:44 PM
If it's what I think it is, it will not work like cow cream. You can take silken tofu, maple syrup, sunflower/safflower or coconut oil and vanilla and puree it for a "cream" that's delicious.

twinkle
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Soyatoo (http://www.soyatoo.com/) claim they have produced the first whippable soya cream.

I remember being able to get whippable vegan cream from kosher shops waaaay back when I was a young child, but hadn't seen it for many years until this stuff came on the market last year. It's quite nice, with a consistency similar to whipping cream, rather than something like double cream.

Spiral
Jan 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Granovita make a whippable soya cream called
Cremovita (http://www.granovita.co.uk/products/range.php?type=13&product=8015). It's pretty much the same as the soyatoo cream.

Jo
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks all. have found some Granose soya creem which apparently can be whisked when apple/lemon juice is added. Will see what happens to my dessert!

harpy
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Please let us know how it goes, Jo.

I have recently got some of that stuff in an aerosol but (apart from not liking to use aerosols) I have decided it tastes rather strange. Reminds me of some of the synthetic-cream cakes we used to get when I was little (in fact I suppose it may be the same stuff).

Jo
Jan 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hi, I used Granose soya creme and made a 'cranachan'. It was really good. The creme whipped up well with the addition of lemon juice. After that though things got a little runny! Probably the infusion of whisky! I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and that did the trick. Everyone seemed to think it was very good.
:)