PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to cook millet porridge?

cedarblue
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:21 PM
i know its a bit like quinoa but im unsure how to make a porridge out of it.

any ideas?
:)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Try the congee method. Put several cups of liquid in a pot, boil, add millet and simmer, stirring and adding liquid as needed until the mixture is soft and soupy. I like to make rice, quinoa, millet, rye, barley and others like this with rice/almond/soy milk with cinnamon and other warming spices then add nuts, seeds, dried fruits. MMM! :D

cedarblue
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM
how long to cook roughly would you say cc? just thinking of morning getting ready for school and work manouvres...

RockyRaccoon
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I've only ever made millet porridge with flaked millet, and I make it exactly the same way as I make oat porridge.

If you don't mind microwave cooking: mix millet flakes and 'milk' and/or water in serving bowl. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir. Cook for 1 minute. Serve.

Easy peasy, and not much washing up!

Okay, it's not the proper way, I know, but it doesn't matter how early I get up in the morning, it's always a rush to get miniraccoon to school on time :D . Quick breakfasts are a must :)

cedarblue
Jan 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM
i dont have a microwave...:o

im thinking a low simmer adding soy milk as needed till ready, maybe 15 mins??
i'll give it a try but thanks rocky!

oldsilverhead
Jan 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Millet Porridge Recipe
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1/2 cup millet (120 mL)
3 cups water (700 mL)
pinch salt
[Additions to taste: banana, dried fruit, raisins, nuts, apples, strawberries, cinammon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, maple syrup,agave syrup, golden syrup, soymilk, cream]

Measure out the millet and put it in a sieve. Rinse well. Bring the water to a boil in a small pot with a lid. Once the water comes to a boil, throw in the millet and a dash of salt, and turn the heat down low. At this point you can throw in some raisins or other dried fruits, sliced bananas, apples, strawberries, ground spices (think cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves).

Cook the millet mixture, covered, on low for about 30-40 minutes. Voila. You're done.

Spoon it into a bowl and add what you like: milk, a dash of cream (heavenly), a pat of margerine,agave syrup, toasted nuts, maple syrup, molasses, or jam. (You can also make your millet porridge the night before and heat it in the microwave in the morning if your breakfasts are typically rushed.)

Enjoy!

oldsilverhead

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 26th, 2006, 03:05 AM
how long to cook roughly would you say cc? just thinking of morning getting ready for school and work manouvres... Soak the millet in water overnight, rinse it in the morning and then cook for 15 or so minutes. If you have a rice cooker, it will work nicely in there as well.

xwitchymagicx
Jan 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hmm millet sounds like something my birdies eat. :p

I may have to make some millet porridge I wonder if the birds would eat it too. :cool:

Millet is gluten free right? lol

cedarblue
Jan 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM
made my porridge this morning - really yummy! :p

i soaked it overnight and simmered it with almond milk then added a swirl (or two :rolleyes: ) of maple syrup and a spalsh more milk. very nice.

..next time i wont make so much, i forgot it would swell up :o