PDA

View Full Version : Co-op goodies...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

pavotrouge
Oct 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
same is happening with all the somerfields we have round here, and some of them are pretty big. Though the upminster one became a Waitrose which is good but not as useful as a co-op for vegan detergent and dishwasher tablets

where can I ask them to turn my Somerfield into one?! But then as it's near West Hampstead, they might rahter make it into a Waitrose :umm:

bradders
Oct 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
well as I understand the last of the branches of somerfield and co-op that they had to dispose of for competition rules have now been sold to waitrose so if it's still a somerfield and not too massive then it's likely it will be a co-op. They are in the process of winding down the somerfield stock and co-op stuff is beginning to replace it.

alisont
Oct 11th, 2009, 05:06 PM
The staff at my local medium sized Somerfield think it will become a Co op eventually but are not sure. They are not stocking any Co op items as yet but there is already a medium Waitrose in town so it's more likely to become a Co op I guess. Hope so - be useful for vegan wine supplies since the small Co op off licence closed last week:(

bradders
Oct 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
the chances are it'll be a co-op by 2011 (their schedule). There are a few of the 133 stores they promissed to get rid of left for one reason or another. In most cases it is because the main companies that are buying them aren't too interested. (Waitrose, lidl, aldi, morrisons, sainsbury's). Some shops may simply close altogether though.

dreama
Nov 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm now learning the route to my local co op. I would like advice on the following products to see if they are or are not vegan:

Minced pies
indian snacks
humous
vegan margarine?

All

dreama
Nov 15th, 2009, 07:58 PM
oops. Just ended with all. Meant to say I'd be very greatful for all replies I get. Since I am not able to read labels any more.

Est
Nov 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hi dreama,

The only hummous that I have ever come across in the co-op is vegan. It is just plain hummous and I think it is the only one they stock. Bigger stores might have more varieties though, so it would be worth asking a member of staff. If it is the vegan hummous, it says "vegetarian and vegan" on the tub so they should be able to check.

I don't know about the other things listed though, sorry.

dreama
Nov 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Est,
Thanks for getting back to me about it. The fact they have humous is useful anyway.
I always ask people to check for me, but sometimes they give me the wrong answers. I bought a curry from Marks and Spensers and was told it was vegan. I double checked with someone else and she told me it contained cheese so I had to go take it back. Luckily I thought of double checking though.

Helene

everdream
Nov 15th, 2009, 08:50 PM
^ a curry with cheese in?!?!?!
wth?

Enchantress
Nov 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Maybe it was paneer cheese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paneer

veganese
Dec 22nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
I went into one of the Co-ops in Nottm recently (not a particularly small one either) and I asked them where the hummus was. Wanna know what they said? 'Whats hummus?' I nearly fell over!

yeah, the same happened to me last week when I wanted to buy some quinoa hahahhahahahhaa

Marrers
Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
I've had trouble getting houmous and sparkling spring water up north a few years back. (I assumed things had changed by now though!)

eta Well hopefully it all changed now - veggiesosage posted that comment in Feb 2006!

herbwormwood
Dec 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
We have about 4 different kinds of hummmus, and you don't get more "up north" than Newcastle!

The Lurker
Dec 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
I went into a co-op up here yesterday and they had pap all vegan stuff - only thing I could find was a vegan xmas pud

am I missing something?

It was quite small but everything I looked at had milk in it - co-op FAIL

Pob
Dec 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Co-op is mostly good for booze, cleaning products and doughnuts.

herbwormwood
Dec 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Good for toiletries too but the smaller branches often don't have co-op own brand (which are all vegan) maybe just the big brands.
It is pretty poor for vegan ready meals, deli type stuff meals and tinned foods.
However this thread is for "co-op goodies"!

Risker
Dec 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM
On the plus side though, the smaller branches don't have baking facilities in store so they actually have to list the ingredients on their doughnut packets.

harpy
Dec 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Since our local "convenience store" has started mutating from Somerfield to Co-op I have noticed stuff marked vegan appearing - Co-op own-brand soups, sauces, and snacks like spring rolls mostly.

I don't buy that kind of thing all that often but it's nice to know it's there (so maybe I should buy it more often to encourage them).

harpy
Mar 15th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Our Co-operfield is gradually getting in more Co-op branded wines (marked to show if they are vegan) and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations please?

TBH I haven't been too impressed with some of those I have had so far but I did find a bottle of Chablis in there that was OK. Anyway I expect there are more to come as they still have quite a few of the Somerfield ones taking up space so any suggestions will be gratefully received.