PDA

View Full Version : Co-op goodies...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

AnneCE
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I just want to rave about the vegan doughnuts at the co-op - or Scotmid as it is known in my part of Scotland. They are nothing special - but they are the first doughnuts I have had since I turned vegan. I hope I won't eat them often but it is great knowing they exist...

I've noticed them reducing the vegan stuff too - example - they used to have two types of Pure, then it was just one and now they don't stock it at all. But they do have Vitalite which is vegan at last. I just prefer Pure and will have to go to a large Tesco to get hold of in future. Their own-brand dark chocolate used to be vegan but now has milk something in it.

Gorilla
Jan 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
i ate three Co-op jam doughnuts last night :o there are 2 Co-ops on my way home from work and it's just too tempting!

i've never seen Pure in any Co-op branch around here, i haven't tried Vitalite but i will look out for it and see what it's like.

Gorilla
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
my local Co-op had a 6" blackberry and apple pie in the bakery section one night last week so i felt it my duty to try it out :) it was very good, but unfortunately they didn't have any soya cream or custard, i had to use a carton of Soyatoo on it that was at the back of my cupboard which i didn't like, would've been much better with Alpro.

AnneCE
Jan 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I noticed that their apple pie and the apple lattices are vegan as well as the apple and blackberry. Must stock up on Alpro custard before I go near Scotmid again.

The Scotmid near me is very large - the smaller ones didn't usually stock Pure nor do they stock vitalite, or alpro yogurt...

f2097
Jan 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Wow, I never realized the co-op had vegan doughnuts. I can't believe the amount of times I must have walked past them and never bought any.. I used to live somewhere that had a giant Co-op and I used to get my weekly shopping in there but never even went near the cakes because I assumed they would all have dairy in. All these years without doughnuts and for no reason lol.

Maisiepaisie
Jan 30th, 2009, 06:03 PM
the Co-op nearest where i'm living at the moment does jam doughnuts with apple/raspberry/plum flavour jam, labelled Co-operative Bakery in white paper bags and actually marked 'suitable for vegetarians and vegans' :D
So are these doughnuts found in the bakery section or amongst the cakes? None of my local co-ops have a bakery. I hope someone tells me they are amongst the bread or cakes *is hopeful*

Ruby Rose
Jan 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
*winces at the thought of MP's disappointment* It's the bakery stuff.

Pob
Jan 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
They aren't baked on site, though, I don't think, so you still might find them.

Maisiepaisie
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Damn I knew it :mad: I'll have a look anyway but won't hold my breath :(

herbwormwood
Jan 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM
They had the own bakery apple pies and apple blackberry pies when I was in Newgate Street co-op last, also the doughnuts and some iced buns with pink icing which were also suitable for vegans, I restrained myself from buying even tho the pies were marked down- to 85p?

f2097
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM
I popped into a Co-op today on a doughnut hunt. They had a little bakery bit but as its Sunday, was a bit bare. All they had were a few buns and a non-vegan apple pie. It was actually a pretty rubbish Co-op, I left with a loaf of wholemeal bread and a reduced lettuce!

squigaletta
Feb 1st, 2009, 11:18 PM
jam tarts! you have just triggered a massive craving :(

herbwormwood
Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Co-ops differ massively in what range of goods they stock, our Newgate Street one is fairly good, we have a big student and asian population in the area, whereas my mother's co-op in a small village, the range of vegan items is very poor.

clare155
Feb 4th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Nom nom i found doughnuts!! And resisted also purchasing an apple pie... maybe tomorrow :D

herbwormwood
Feb 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Today I got the following special offers in Newgate Street co-op:
Co-op washing up liquid 2 for £1.00 (special request for dear one's sister);
offers on discovery range- discovery jalapeno chillis in jar 66 pence per jar;
discovery salsa in jar 75 pence;
discovery tortillas pack 76 pence;

I also took advantage of an offer on 4 pack Nouvelle 100% recycled paper toilet tissue BOGOF for £2.30.

squigaletta
Feb 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
must... have...donuts :'(

vegcurry
Feb 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks to those who pointed out about the doughnuts; I went and bought some today and they were fab with the home made soya lattes for our lunchtime treat. :thumbsup::satisfied:

Gorilla
Feb 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Co-op Truly Irresistible sweet red pepper and balsamic dressing is really nice, goes well with a green salad and Redwood sausages :)

herbwormwood
Feb 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Co-op Truly Irresistible mixed olive ciabatta rolls, yum yum. Toasted with hummus or cheese.

jimmeh
Feb 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I love their orzo pasta salad. It's only £2 just now

Mr Flibble
Feb 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
They aren't baked on site, though, I don't think, so you still might find them.

I spoke to a lady in a Co-op store in Coventry today who says that she (personally) bakes their doughnuts onsite.

I didn't ask how they are prepared, but given that it's very small scale I wonder about cross contamination, particularly if they're deep fried.

clare155
Feb 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I think some people are confused about what they are looking for when they go in for coop doughnuts - maybe whoever gets some could post a pic of the pack... i will do it later if i get some :smile:

Marrers
Feb 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes, I've always seen Cuisine De France (?) stuff and assumed this is what we were talking about - but yesterday I saw stuff marked as Co-op's own bakery.

Spud Addict
Feb 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'd heard that the cuisine de france donuts were vegan but only when made for the co-op.

purpleflipflop
Feb 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I picked up today in our local coop 2 cartons of fresh soup: a mixed italian bean one and tomato and chilli, both labelled suitable for vegans. Now as a veggie I wouldn't have dreamed of having canned soups, always enjoyed homemade soups, BUT I also had the option of just nipping out for a sarny at the local deli if I hadn't packed lunch for work etc... but now, THE jack pot and beans option doesn't always appeal (!), so I've taken to hunting out prepared soups as an option for the 'I haven't got any leftovers or fresh salad/can't be bothered to prepare something' days!
Must say, not found many canned/preapred soups since becoming vegan so HAD to pick up these...you know how it is!