PDA

View Full Version : Co-op goodies...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

Troutina
Jun 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
the large Co-op superstore in Worthing has been sold to Morrisons... i thought it had been going downhill lately. i've never been to a Morrisons before as there haven't been any this near to me before, i've heard they can be ok for vegan products so it'll be interesting to see what this one will be like.

That store is huge, and always empty, every time I've been!
Last time I was there on a Saturday morning- when it should be heaving, and there was one till open, and 4 other shoppers!
Bit gutted it wont be a Co-op anymore; when my boyfriend's van gets a service in Worthing we pop down and get doughnuts!

AnneCE
Jun 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I don't like Morrissons, rarely go near one now. I mostly shop at Real Foods health food shops, Scotmid (Co-op to folk outwith Edinburgh and the Lothians, still unsure of the relationship), Lidl's (and Aldi when I am staying in Inverness with the boyfriend). And I will go in a Tescos - bought a head of cauliflower for 20p this afternoon. All eaten now.

Zero
Jun 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
the large Co-op superstore in Worthing has been sold to Morrisons... i thought it had been going downhill lately. i've never been to a Morrisons before as there haven't been any this near to me before, i've heard they can be ok for vegan products so it'll be interesting to see what this one will be like.

You can generally get a few frozen vegan things like many other supermarkets but they usually stock the fake meat sandwich slices too. They sometimes stock blue dragon tofu etc, soy milk, oat milk and rice milk.

Animal Aid reported that Morrisons and Waitrose were the most veggie and vegan friendly supermarkets in 2007 - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_veggie/ALL/1521//

The actual survey is here (pdf) (http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/pdf/booklets/supermarket.pdf)

Gorilla
Jun 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
^thanks Zero, that's interesting :)

yeah, it was always deserted whenever i went in there too, it was weird.

luckily i have a Co-op near my office, but they don't have a couple of the own-brand things i like (e.g. 2-in-1 shampoo, body sprays). they do usually have doughnuts but i've been trying to lay off those for a while - especially as they're still doing 10 doughnuts for £1 - too greedy! :o

i like their orzo pasta salad and buy that for lunch quite regularly.

f2097
Jun 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Last time I was there on a Saturday morning- when it should be heaving, and there was one till open, and 4 other shoppers!
Bit gutted it wont be a Co-op anymore; when my boyfriend's van gets a service in Worthing we pop down and get doughnuts!

I used to shop there too :O

I lived a couple of roads away from it, all the glass around the side is missing and there are big bushes and stuff growing out of the building. The car park looked like it was part of the rail tracks. I thought the place was derelict when I first moved to Worthing (although the whole area around there is a bit like that!!). Inside its all a bit dingy and early 90's looking. It did used to sell the full range of co-op stuff though.

It was always dead in there, it sold some strange stuff like the patio furniture by the fruit & veg. There was always a plastic bucket balanced on some whole egg replacer in the vegan/free from bit, collecting murky water dripping from the celing tiles above (I never did buy anything from that top shelf lol).

Spud Addict
Jun 20th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Suits me! I get fed up with shops being crammed full of people who have no idea what they're doing, every saturday!

The co-op near me is doing a clearance deal on the own brand shampoo and conditioner (tea tree and mint, camomile and lemon etc etc) for 50p each! :thumbsup: It's on til the 7th July. Might stock up for the year :D

Risker
Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
If I go to the small corner shop style co-op a few miles away the ingredients are listed on the package. However, as the new co-op that has just opened locally to me is supermarket sized I believe they cook the doughnuts in store and therefore don't need to list the ingredients on the package. I wouldn't mind the allergy warning so much if they actually listed ingredients but without them for all I know egg or milk could be actual ingredients.

Just had this confirmed by email;

Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning our In Store Baked Doughnuts and I apologise for the delay in responding to you.

I can advise that we do not have to label all ingredients on the ticket of an ISB product, just specific things like for example preservatives or colours and also allergens. A guide is being produced for stores which will list the full ingredients and nutrition in response to customers requests.

As these products are cooked off and bagged instore there is a high risk of cross contamination due to the many other products that could also be handled in the instore bakery. This is why they would not be labelled as suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

Risker
Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I just went down to my local co-op to pick up a couple of bits and the girl behind the counter asked if I wanted any of their free produce. Free being my favourite price it would be rude not to accept.

I got a bag of apples, a punnet of 8 kiwi fruit, a punnet of 4 peaches, a punnet of 5 nectarines, a bag of potatoes, a bag of 3 mixed bell peppers and a huge savoy cabbage, all of which are perfectly fresh. :D

Zero
Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Awesome, you can't argue with that price! :)

beanstew
Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, great haul Risker! :thumbsup:

I got some lovely Peaches from the Co-op here but had to pay for mine.

bradders
Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
ok risker i officially hate you

cobweb
Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
the Co-op system won't let them sell things officially past their date, will it?. I've been given free bread before, it was great!.

Ms_Derious
Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
What? Gosh darn it, I need to go to the co-op more often! Admittedly, there isn't one near me.... but still.

Gorilla
Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
I just went down to my local co-op to pick up a couple of bits and the girl behind the counter asked if I wanted any of their free produce. Free being my favourite price it would be rude not to accept.

I got a bag of apples, a punnet of 8 kiwi fruit, a punnet of 4 peaches, a punnet of 5 nectarines, a bag of potatoes, a bag of 3 mixed bell peppers and a huge savoy cabbage, all of which are perfectly fresh. :D

:eek: i have never seen a Co-op giving away free produce.

Spud Addict
Jun 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Me neither. I'm moving next door to that co-op.

Kate1978
Jun 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
^ I have tried visiting the local co-op at random hours like late evening in the vain hopes that something like that will happen to me. Usually just get in the way of all the oompa-loompas who are unpacking the following day's stuff onto the shelves. :(

bradders
Jun 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I find that about 6 in the evening is the best time, much like waitrose.

Gorilla
Jun 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
i often go to Co-op about that time after work, but they're never giving anything away for free - discounted sometimes, but i didn't think mainstream supermarkets could give away free items.

Risker
Jun 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I'm sure it was just a one off, it's a pretty new store so they probably just haven't got to grips with the whole discounting thing.

talknerdytome
Jul 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
^ Yeah I would imagine so. I used to work at sainsbury's (eurgh!) and the amount of waste they had was unbelievable. They gave the fruit and veg to the local zoo which I thought was good, but I don't see why they can't put free food out that is out of date with a disclaimer.

Risker
Jul 7th, 2009, 07:11 PM
They'd lose sales doing that, if what they were giving away free was what you were intending to buy.

herbwormwood
Jul 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I was doing my main shop at the newgate street co-op where I get home delivery today, and I got some special offers:
sensitive totalcare toothpaste 65 p;
teatree mint shampoo 50 p;
styling mouse 75 p;
special offer on discovery range, I got jalapeno peppers 69p and salsa 79 p, also on mission deli wrap pack only £1.00. There was also a multisave offer on Amoy stir fry sauce where I saved £1.08.
Britvic J20 pack of 4 buy 2 packs for £6. Hope they suitable for vegans as I never bought them before in a shop.

I also bought the most delicious salad pack of Orzo Pasta Salad. It wasn't reduced but I've never had it before and it was mega tasty.

everdream
Jul 8th, 2009, 07:39 PM
My local co op now does their own (cheap) brand of soya milk! It's their 'simply value' range and only costs 69p / litre. It's unsweetened, UHT and fortified. They do do an organic one, but it's unfortified.

It has a 'beany' taste, which is stronger than in other brand,s however I am quite fond of this.

I hope it wasn't a misorder for that week and that they'll carry on selling this stuff!

hiddenfromview
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
does anyone know where the largest co-op in london is? my local is tiny, and has practically nothing of interest...

*live*&*let*live
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Not sure whereabouts in London you are, but this is from the Co-op website. If you go to the site you can work out size of store (or ring them) and see which is nearest to you. Ignore the miles column not sure why that came up as I live in Darwen and I'm pretty damned sure it's not 1.86 miles to my nearest Co-op in London! :surprised_ani: If you are after something in particular and are travelling a distance I would ring first to see if they stock it -just as suggestion. :smile:

StoreDistanceContact details 1. The Co-operative Food - Camberwell New Road (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%200%20%29;)1.86 miles177/183 Camberwell New Road, Camberwell, London, SE5 0TJ. 0207 735 2846
2. The Co-operative Food - Bermondsey (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%201%20%29;)2.61 miles193-221 Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey, London, SE16 3TS. 0207 2378827
3. The Co-operative Food - Carshalton Beeches (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%202%20%29;)2.77 miles89-91 Banstead Road, Carshalton Beeches, SM5 3NP. 0208 642 7588
4. The Co-operative Food - Gainsborough Studios (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%203%20%29;)2.77 milesGainsborough Studios, 136 New North Road, Islington, London, N1 6SU. 0207 739 4629
5. The Co-operative Food - Caledonian Road (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%204%20%29;)2.88 miles303-311 Caledonian Road, Islington, London, N1 1DT. 0207 607 6462
6. The Co-operative Food - Silverhill (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%205%20%29;)2.98 miles9-15 Seddlescombe Road North, St Leonards On Sea, TN37 7DA. 01424 432767
7. The Co-operative Food - Field Place (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%206%20%29;)2.98 miles3/5 Field Place Parade, Goring On Sea, Worthing, BN12 6BS. 01903 241871
8. The Co-operative Food - Essex Road, Islington (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%207%20%29;)2.98 miles132-134 Essex Road, Islington, London, N1 8LX. 0207 226 6602
9. The Co-operative Food - Kentish Town (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%208%20%29;)3.41 miles250-254 Kentish Town Road, Kentish Town, London, NW5 2AB. 0207 424 9024
10. The Co-operative Food - North End Road New (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:%20GoToStore%28%209%20%29;)3.52 miles88-90 North End Road, Fulham, London, W14 9EX. 0207 3845573

My links never work when posting via Firefox so you will have to go to the Co-op website directly, sorry!