PDA

View Full Version : All Bran - what' not vegan in it?

gemini
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:14 AM
As a newie, I can't make out what's not vegan in All Bran. It seemsto have the same ingredients as other Kellogg cereals which ARE listed as vegan.
Does anyone know of a similar high fibre cereal that I can have instead?
Thanks.

Spiral
Jan 30th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Some supermarket own brand breakfast cereals with bran that are vegan:

Sainsbury's - organic bran flakes
Asda - bran flakes, high bran, organic bran flakes
Co-op - bran flakes, sultana bran
Waitrose - high fibre bran,
Tesco - bran flakes

gemini
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for that; I think I will contact Keloggs and ask them what makes the difference.
Meanwhile, off to Asda!

aubergine
Feb 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Apparantly all Kelloggs cereals are fortified with vitamins from animal sources.

Pob
Feb 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM
I think it is the ones with Vitamin D in - Kellogs use D3 (which is from an animal source).
If it has vitamin D listed then it is not vegan.

veggiegirl3
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I think it is the ones with Vitamin D in - Kellogs use D3 (which is from an animal source).

Oh crap! I ate some Corn Pops last week when I was craving something sweet. I saw them on PETA's accidentally vegan webpage. They're Kelloggs. Are they vegan or not?

Pob
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM
What are the ingredients? If PETA says they are, then they probably are.

Personally I only eat organic cereals. Downside is that they have no added vitamins. Plus side is that they have no added vitamins of dubious origins :)

For the UK, this page lets you list all Kellogs products suitable for vegans :)
http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/results.asp

Standard All Bran is not one of them.

cedarblue
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:31 AM

interesting - thanks for that!

Pob
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Looking at the not so helpful US page here: http://www.kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/product.pl?company=3&brand=162&template=cereal

It looks like all the cereals have vitamin D added and none are labelled vegan.:mad:
(I didn't check them all, just some that are vegan in the UK).

Spiral
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Vitamin D3 is from an animal source, usually lanolin I think, but vitamin D2 is ok for vegans.

Pob
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Vitamin D3 is from an animal source, usually lanolin I think, but vitamin D2 is ok for vegans.Indeed. Unfortunately Kellogs definitely use D3 in the UK. Not sure about in the US, but probably there, also.

gemini
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I bought the Asda High Bran, which is listed in the Animal Free Shopper. Not only is it half the price, it actually tastes much better than the Kelloggs one, so if you can, buy that one.

aubergine
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Personally I only eat organic cereals. Downside is that they have no added vitamins. Plus side is that they have no added vitamins of dubious origins :)

I eat an Organic Fruit Crunch that I get from my local Health Store, and I put fortified Soya Milk on it for this very reason.