PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrators

Pages : [1] 2

MzNatural
Oct 26th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I am still researching. I have looked at the Food dehydrators Excalibur and the Harvest (I think it is called.) I am not sure if I need a food processor. I use my Oster blender and it does well.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
It would be appreciated, thanks! :)

mattd
Oct 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I'd probably get a few raw food books for that. Alot of them will have really good recommendations and what you need to avoid when looking for one (depending on what you want them for)

MzNatural
Oct 27th, 2004, 01:55 AM
I'd probably get a few raw food books for that. Alot of them will have really good recommendations and what you need to avoid when looking for one (depending on what you want them for)

I bought a Raw Foods book a few weeks ago, Raw by Juliano Brotman he recommended brands for a juicer (Green Star which I already had and I love it) and food processor but did not specify when it came to a food dehydrator. I believe I will purchase the Excalibur. :p

superfly
Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:34 AM
i really like dried fruit, especially apricots, apples and pineapple. what i don't like is all the additives that are put into them. i've had the sulfite free and it's ok, but i can never finish them fast enough.
i was thinking of buying a food dehydrator, but i want to be sure to get a quality machine.

any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

ConsciousCuisine
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:06 AM
It's all about the Excalibur Dehydrator.

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?query=excalibur+dehydrator&invocationType=spelling

superfly
Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:50 AM
thanks, CC. :)

Hemlock
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Can anyone tell me what a dehydrator is? What happens to food when you dehydrate it?

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM
When dehydrating, the moisture is removed form the food and if kept below a certain degree, the food is still considered raw and uncooked. The "Excalibur" is one of the only ones with a temperature control and is the one raw foodists swear by.

Hemlock
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
When dehydrating, the moisture is removed form the food and if kept below a certain degree, the food is still considered raw and uncooked. The "Excalibur" is one of the only ones with a temperature control and is the one raw foodists swear by.

Does that mean the food tastes cooked even though it isn't? Sorry to sound ignorant by the raw food business is new to me:)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM
It does taste rather cooked. There are cookies, crackers, candies, "burgers", "meat balls" and all sorts of things to be made this way!

DianeVegan
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Hemlock, a dehydrator is a device that heats food to a maximum of 118-120 degrees fahrenheit (food heated above 118 degrees destroys enzymes - and raw foodists believe these enzymes should come from the food we eat rather than be manufactured by our bodies, for maximum health). The food is heated by forced air and it takes hours (anywhere from 1 to 24, depending on the recipe) to dehydrate. There are the very common, relatively inexpensive dehydrators and there are the more expensive ones that have several racks and are favored by raw food chefs/restaurants.

Using a dehydrator allows you to enjoy raw food with different textures since much of the water is removed. Using a dehydrator, you can make raw crackers, bread, cookies, burgers, pizzas - and the list goes on.

When we move this summer, I am getting the dehydrator of my dreams (my husband won't let me buy anything else that needs to be moved, so I have to wait.:( ) Our raw food meals don't consist of anything dehydrated these days so I am really looking forward to the move.

DianeVegan
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, you two type fast. I started typing the above message just after Hemlock asked what a dehydrator was. The Excalibur is the dehydrator I am looking to purchase! My husband gets excited by cars - for me, it's kitchen equipment.

Hemlock
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Hmmmmmm, you have opened up a new word for me. I may try a spot of raw foodism but I think my husband might well move out:D Mind you he is busy preparing sprout curry (cooked) - our favourite - as we speak:)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Wow, you two type fast. I started typing the above message just after Hemlock asked what a dehydrator was. The Excalibur is the dehydrator I am looking to purchase! My husband gets excited by cars - for me, it's kitchen equipment.

I relate! I have the 9 tray and it's the way to go, for sure! I wouldn't use anyother dehydrator! I use it in the Summer a lot more than the Winter as I go for longer periods of time completely raw during the Summer.

DianeVegan
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:56 PM
That's our plan, CC. Totally raw for the summers (lots of farmers markets in Portland!) and less so in the winter. Do you have a juicer as well? I will probably get one and am so confused about which is the best (I don't think I'll be juicing wheat grass). I figure the 9 tray is the best size for the dehydrator. I have about 3 raw cookbooks and can't wait to make some of the recipes. I really wasn't into raw food until recently when we went to Pure Food and Wine in NY - we're going back for dinner next week! I'll probably miss that restaurant most when we move.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I have had a Champion, a L'Equip and various cheapie juicers in the past. I now use a Breville Juice Fountain Pro (stainless steel) and I LOVE it. It does not jucie wheatgrass but with everything else it's great. I mainly juice beets, carrots, celery, ginger, lemons and greens and it's great! I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond because I love thier return policy and I had a coupon :)

DianeVegan
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll just wait for one of those 20% off coupons to come in the mail.

grail
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Hi everyone!

I am the lucky recipient of an almost-new Waring dehydrator from my mom. Unfortunately, it came with no book or guide.

It's black and round with five trays, no thermostat or on/off switch. I'm kind of freaked that the teriyaki-marinated, blotted-dry tofu I currently have in there is going to drip juice all over the base and heating element, but so far, so good. The bananas I tried last night turned out awesome, kind of nutty and yummy. I'm going to love this thing if I can figure it out.

I am wondering if there are any dehydrator pros out there who would be willing to share their favorite recipes or tips with me - particularly about cleanliness and fire avoidance - I'm not brave like Mr. Flibble. ;) I also would like some tips about making travel food - and I have no idea how I would dehydrate soup/stew with my current setup, it seems like the sauces would run right off into the base.

I did search for "dehydrator" threads here, but I didn't find anything substantial. Please direct me where to go if you know and I'll start there!

Thanks!

StmpyElephant
Jan 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I've been seriously considering buying a dehydrator for some time now but I am concerned with the electricity it may use up. I know that they take a long time to 'cook' and I am wondering if they use a low or high energy consumption. This is one of the things that has stopped me buying as of yet. Can anyone help me out with some information?

I really want to dry mango while it is still in season!! :)

speedylemons
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:45 PM
you know, i have a food dehydrator that is very very similar to how you described yours. Mine has three trays i believe, and it's a dark grey or black plastic.. with little vents on the top lid. There is some sort of coil at the bottom but no on or off switch! I made some dried bananas that turned out alright, but i tried cantalope and it didn't work.

Have you tried anything else in it?

Litsea
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Call Waring and ask them to send you an owner's manual. I'm sure they have a toll free phone number and they probably won't charge you anything for a new manual. (I've called companies for manuals before.)

speedylemons
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM
oooo! Hey thanks for the great idea!

cedarblue
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
someone gave me an unwanted one today - its a big old thing. not sure how to use it though. its got a temperature guage on it, lots of tiered layers and a plug!!

what do i do and for how long - any ideas?? :confused:

Jane M
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I've got one stuck in the closet but I wasn't too crazy about how it worked. I'll check to see if there is some kind of instructions or something when I get home. Mine is round is yours?

cedarblue
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
round too, about 1 & 1/2 ft high'ish

thanks