PDA

View Full Version : how long different food items last in the fridge?

foxytina_69
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
does anyone know how long lentils or brown rice keep for in the fridge?

oldsilverhead
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
I am no expert but I leave them for 4/5 days maximum although I am guessing they would probably stay fresh for a week

oldsilverhead

foxytina_69
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
thats what i thought, i was thinking about a week. thanks :)

harpy
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
I don't know the answer but I'm always careful with rice since a microbiologist told me that it's good for growing cultures of bacteria :eek: Think I would keep it overnight but not much longer than that. It's also meant to be important to cool it down fast and put it straight in the fridge.

I don't know of any problems with lentils though so I'd probably keep them until they started tap-dancing round the fridge ;)

ETA I just found this page http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/ about rice which suggests keeping it no longer than a day.

sugarmouse
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
good idea for a thread! what about soya beans and quinoa?i alway pre cook these n neverknow how long i can keep them.:)

Jane M
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
What about dishes made with tofu in them..like stuffed shells or lasagna? Can they be frozen for fast meals later? I like them but usually my recipes make so much that I only make them when there is company. I figure the next day is ok if I refrigerate but a little scarey after that unless I can freeze them.

Hmmmm tap dancing lentils...now there is a mental picture!

RedWellies
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
I think the thing is to not leave food at room temperature because that's when bacteria thrive. If you cook food, cool it quickly and refrigerate it, that's best. I'd heard that about rice, too, Harpy. I never keep rice, I always make it fresh. Other foods i'd keep a maximum of 48 hours depending on what it was. It also depends how good your fridge is.

Yoggy
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
I don't know of any problems with lentils though so I'd probably keep them until they started tap-dancing round the fridge ;)
LOL! :p

tasha
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
What about dishes made with tofu in them..like stuffed shells or lasagna? Can they be frozen for fast meals later? I like them but usually my recipes make so much that I only make them when there is company. I figure the next day is ok if I refrigerate but a little scarey after that unless I can freeze them.

Hmmmm tap dancing lentils...now there is a mental picture!

I have made lasagna with tofu and kept in it the fridge for 3 days and it tastes great, even better to be honest (I've been told it stays good for up to 5 days, but I am a bit paranoid!). As for freezing it--works like a charm! I usually reheat portions in the microwave, but I'm sure if it was thawed out you could throw it in the oven again (not sure, never tried it that way!)

Jane M
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks, Tasha! I was going to try experimenting but I hate to waste food...just little old cheap me.

scruffyhead
Feb 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Ive eaten quinoa a week later and it tasted just the same as the first day! so im not to sure, has anyone got the real lifespan for this?

Wildflower
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Gee it's one week today for brown rice in my fridge and I was planning on eating it. for things i cook, I generally try to eat within 1 week.

packaged foods I keep forever it seems.

Soymilk I keep for weeks, and it says to use within 3-7 days.

My fridge is very good, it is on lowest and a lot of things freeze on the top shelf (like veggies).