PDA

View Full Version : Viana foods

veggiesosage
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Has anyone tried any of the stuff by a company called Viana? Its probably worth pointing out first that they are very much in the 'meat substitutes' game so if thats not your thing you can look away now.

Thing is, I became vegan for purely ethical reasons not because of the taste or texture of meat so I do like a bit of vegetarian sausage and the like (erm, perhaps you got that from the name?). But if you're the same look out for them. They're a German company with limited availability in UK as far as I can tell and no idea whether the rest of you can get hold of them or not, sorry.

Anyway, if you are a male from the UK and you were a student before you even became vegetarian, you will remember the closing time ritual of buying a kebab! (sorry, you'll either relate to this or you won't!) Now Viana's 'Veggie Giros' (I think the've lost something in the translation there!) will take you straight back there! That could be good or bad depending on how you feel but for me its great!:D

Hemlock
Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
It isn't great to be honest with you. When I was 20 the only reason i ever ate a kebeb was to soak up the excess alcohol and thus prevnt alcohol poisoning (not always successful) - the resulting grease taste lived with me for days - bleuuugh:(
I do like a bit of fake meat on rice cakes occasionally but only because it's convenient!

puffin
Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Nope i have never heard of them and from what you have just said i dont think i want to :D :p

veggiesosage
Feb 4th, 2006, 02:20 AM
You need to try their smoky hot dog sosages! Honestly, they should pay me for this, I don't work for them honest!

puffin
Feb 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
You need to try their smoky hot dog sosages! Honestly, they should pay me for this, I don't work for them honest!
Ok, we believe you honest ;)

tabitha
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Ive never heard of them either, but I do like Linda McCartney sausages with onions in those long hot dog rolls, so I probably would like them. Is it an "up north" thing or could I get them "down south".

veggiesosage
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know, I've seen them in a couple of shops in Nottingham, one a health food type shop and the other a 'veggie' type shop. Like I said they seem to be a German company so can't see it making any difference to availability whether you're North or South.

tabitha
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Do you like the fake roast meats? I had fake roast turkey at Christmas and I actually really enjoyed it. I also made fake turkey sandwiches when it was cold for my supper with pickle...luvvvly!!!

veggiesosage
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I did exactly the same! I don't normally go for fake roasts but went to my sister's for Xmas and took the Redwood food's celebration meal, slices of 'turkey' with little sosages with veggie bacon wrapped round them. Then, as I was the only one eating it I had it in sarnies for tea!

tabitha
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
HA! I dont fink this makes us bad people LOL. You cant always cook up imaginative gourmet vegan feasts. I totally enjoyed my vegan mince pies, christmas cake (which I sent away for) and vegan cream. I had vegan wine from the co op and "bonded" wiv the carnivores.

The next week I was back to normal and telling them there was pus in milk etc....

veggiesosage
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
My sister lives in Rutland and her partner is well into his huntin shootuin etc. So I didn't really feel able to go back on the campaign trail...

tabitha
Feb 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Quite....

Cumin
Jun 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have had the bonanza burgers a couple of time and I love them. Amazing! Although I agree they are quite 'meaty', they could also be described as fibrous, like a raw carrot (I think). Very tasty anyway. I also know a couple of meat-eaters who have tried them and thought they were very good.

Firestorm
Jun 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM
I have bought loads of Viana stuff from Veggiestuff.co.uk.I've only been disappointed in 2 products - Currywurst (Redwood hotdogs with ketchup & curry powder tastes better) and the Veggie Ragout (it was how I imagined dog food to taste).

I have so far had - Cow Girl Steaks, Chikin Fillets, Seitan, Bratwurst, Bavarian Burgers, Picknicker salami stick, Chikin nuggets, Primi Slices, Roast slices, Tofu Creme Fume, Tofu Creme Veggie garden - they were all great and I have these 3 in the fridge ready to try - Real Jumbos, Veggie Hamburgers, Ocean Beach burger

leedsveg
Jun 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM
I have had the bonanza burgers a couple of time and I love them. Amazing! Although I agree they are quite 'meaty', they could also be described as fibrous, like a raw carrot (I think). Very tasty anyway. I also know a couple of meat-eaters who have tried them and thought they were very good.

I quite like them but they are expensive. When I queried why the price had doubled in the last 2 years, the assistant in Out Of This World (Leeds) went on about the price of food stuff from continental Europe having rocketed blah, blah, blah. Why can't we make stuff like this (and Glace "ice-cream") in England, instead of importing it?

Leedsveg