PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Cuba - Need some suggestions

caribbeanvegan
Feb 4th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Hello all!

I'm going to traveling to Cuba in March and am in a bit of a quandry about the eating and meals while I'm there. I'm going with some friends, one of whom has been there several times before and has friends there that are going to be making a lot of the arrangments for us while there, but none of us speaks Spanish.

What would you all suggest I do about the eating arrangments? I can't bring my own food into the country, so that idea is out. I plan on learning how to say that I don't eat animal foods or food made from the derivatives of animal products, but other than that I'm not sure what else to do.

What would do?

Gliondrach
Feb 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I'm sure someone posted an international phrasebook-type of thing on here that has the vegan message in various languages. You can always say that you are allergic to eggs, dairy and meat. You have to learn to say that in Spanish, of course. Also stress that prepared foods often contain animal ingredients.

mophoto
Feb 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM
this was all i found when i went on a Caribbean cruise from happycow.com

Notes:
I am vegetarian m /fYo soy vegetariano /aI do not eat meat, pork or chickenYo no como carne, puerco, ni pollo

nothing about dairy or eggs. i would be most worried about the chicken broth used in beans and rice, but you probably know about that living in the caymans.

herbwormwood
Feb 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Learn some spanish before you go as people are always more friendly if you try to speak their language!
Then do research on google on vegetarian cuban. Then you will find some things you can ask for in restaurants. I have heard there are some great frut and veg outdoor markets in the summer.

RockyRaccoon
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I believe the phrase book Gliondrach is refering to is this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0907337201/ref=sr_11_1/102-3182317-8047342?%5Fencoding=UTF8.

Good luck on your travels. :)

RockyRaccoon
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Depending on where your staying and how flexible your friends are these restaurants could be worth visiting

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/caribbean/cuba/index.html