PDA

View Full Version : No, really, it tastes good

gertvegan
Aug 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
JON CARROLL
www.sfgate.com

I confess to having had what Herbert Spencer would have called "contempt prior to investigation" about the word "vegan," the concept of veganism and vegans themselves. Vegans, I figured, were people who were too snotty to be vegetarians.
But then I heard about a vegan restaurant that, for several non-food- related reasons, was too good to pass up. It's called the Gratitude Cafe.

More (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/08/10/DDGIJ7Q2LG1.DTL)

Gorilla
Aug 11th, 2004, 02:42 PM
great link, thanks gert. the term "contempt prior to investigation" is so true, it doesn't help the way the media have portrayed vegans for such a long time. people have such a fixed attitude towards vegans many people won't even consider trying it out.

what a wonderful sounding restaurant, i wasn't surprised to see it's in San Francisco. i'd love to go there.

Fruitbat
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Why oh why can there not be more restaurants and more articles and more willing omnis out there!!!

There used to be a gorgeous Vegan Society approved restaurant in the town where I study and my parents adored it altho they are staunch omnis. Everyone I ever took there adored the place and yet it closed in less than a year. I still miss that place - their desserts were to die for - chocolate cake, banana chocolate chip cake, lemon cake, coffee cake, apple strudel, flapjakcs, pancake mountains - all with soy cream or swedish ice cream - they were amazing. Their soups, pates, and burgers were amazing and their main course dishes were pretty darn good too. I used to make it a point of honour to go there every weekend to treat myself. And now it is gone =*(