PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potato Soup

griggsy
Feb 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I had this soup in a lush vegan restaraunt on holiday in Canada and had to try and make it once I got home. I think I managed quite a good job of it too. So here's the recipe (this will make 3 - 4 portions)

3 sweet potatoes
3 carrots
1 tin (440ml) coconut milk
1 tbs sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Its so easy to make, just boil or steam the potatoes and carrots till soft. Then whack them in a blender with 1/4 of the coconut milk and blend until smooth. Put it in a saucepan over a low heat, and add the rest of the coconut milk, sugar and s&p.

Enjoy!!

harpy
Feb 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
That sounds like my kind of recipe! I'm going to give it a try - thanks.

Jane M
Feb 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Oh this sounds good enough to be dessert! And so easy too! Which is a real plus. Thanks!

SheHulk
Feb 5th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Sounds delicious...and easy. Thanks:)

oldsilverhead
Feb 5th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Just made this as starters for our dinner,thank you.

Be warned-VERY rich and VERY,VERY sweet;)

oldsilverhead

Roxy
Feb 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I had this soup in a lush vegan restaraunt on holiday in Canada and had to try and make it once I got home. I think I managed quite a good job of it too. So here's the recipe (this will make 3 - 4 portions)

3 sweet potatoes
3 carrots
1 tin (440ml) coconut milk
1 tbs sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Its so easy to make, just boil or steam the potatoes and carrots till soft. Then whack them in a blender with 1/4 of the coconut milk and blend until smooth. Put it in a saucepan over a low heat, and add the rest of the coconut milk, sugar and s&p.

Enjoy!!

Oh! Where in Canada did you come for your vacation?

oldsilverhead
Feb 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
And here is the evidence,lol...
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/8640/sweetpotatosoup1a1ai.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think next time I will leave out the remaining 3/4 of the can of coconut milk and add vegetable stock instead because I found the original recipe flavour to be so rich as to be overpowering which is a shame as the general flavour is deliciousley delicate.

oldsilverhead

Litsea
Feb 6th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Ooooo... I have a few sweet potatoes to use and lots of carrots! I think I'll try this tomorrow night! Thanks!

Fingers crossed on my little guy liking it! (If it's sweet, I'm sure he will!)

griggsy
Feb 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Mmmmmm, yeah, i should have warned that it's quite rich - feel free to adapt it however you want, let me know how it comes out. I might try it with veggie stock too if it comes out nice.

Roxy - I was all over Canada - Fergus, Guelph, Toronto, and Vancouver - was amazing!!!! So much snow!!!! yay!!!

VeganRider
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
griggsy, thanks for the soup recipe, I NEVER had anything that tasted like that, it was great and such a treat. I only used 1/2 a can of coconut milk, got the low fat version and ended up adding some brown rice and put it in the fridge and will just use it in small portions as a desert since it is on the rich side but so very tasty! Thanks again...! :)