PDA

View Full Version : Can too much sugar cause diarrhea??

Yogini
Feb 5th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Can consuming too much sugar in a short amount of time cause diarrhea? How about food coloring?

I drank a ton of grape soda yesterday. I know, bad, bad. It was on sale and I was thirsty and poor. I make bad shopping decisions under these circumstances.

Anyway, I just had green diarrhea, which scared the crap out of me. :D

I did some internet searching and read that dark purple food coloring can cause green stools. But what about the diarrhea?

The grape soda was the only thing I consumed that was out of the ordinary and I'm not under a huge amount of stress (which can cause me GI distress.)

Incidentally, I'm now making a conscious effort to limit my sugar. I've been scared straight.

sugarmouse
Feb 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM
im no expert..but i know they recommend sugar if your constipated especially if your young so im guessing it can!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 6th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Was it sugar or high fructose corn syrup? Either *could* give you loose stools.

If you are thirsty and poor, nothing beats the value of a gallon of water ;) Hope you feel better soon and stay away from the junk!

Yogini
Feb 6th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Was it sugar or high fructose corn syrup? Either *could* give you loose stools.
I don't have the bottle anymore, but my guess would be corn syrup.

If you are thirsty and poor, nothing beats the value of a gallon of water ;)
In my defense, the soda was even cheaper than the generic brand water, which I don't like too much. But I've learned my lesson - in the future, I'll shell out the extra 20 cents.

Hope you feel better soon and stay away from the junk!
Don't have to tell me twice!

thecatspajamas1
Feb 6th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I wonder why it was green, though.

Wildflower
Feb 6th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Drinking purple drinks (like Kool-aid or grape soda) will turn your poop green!

Why green and not purple or red/blue (assuming these are the dyes that make purple) I don't know.

Mystic
Feb 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Maybe when the purple mixes with the brown of the shit it goes green :confused: :D

Seaside
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM
It has something to do with the pH of the colorings. When something is naturally acidic, becoming alkaline can change its color, and bile is very alkaline. In the same way, you can get different colors from the same plant material by using different baths and mordants. So its nothing to do with your internal health. But go easy on the soda next time! ;)

Wildflower
Feb 7th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Maybe when the purple mixes with the brown of the shit it goes green :confused: :D

:D

I like your logic!

Roxy
Feb 7th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Actually you know what? This thread has brought back childhood memories. I remember having green diarrhea after eating a bag of fairy floss (cotton candy) when I was about 8 years old.

Cotton Candy is all sugar......so yes.......it's probably too much sugar that gave you the woopsies!

tipsy
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM
i ate a trillion pounds of grapes one day, and had bad runs for two days afterwords...:rolleyes: