PDA

View Full Version : Falafel

Pages : [1] 2

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I am going to make my own falafel, since I can't find it in the local supermarkets.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe?

I found one on the net I may use, but if someone has some good advice, please chip in.

I also heard from Eric Marcus's podcast that a pressure cooker, is a very good way to cook chick peas (he did it for hummus).

However I am going to use the canned chick peas for my first attempt.

Thanks.

ukahela
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:34 PM
i think canned chick peas don't work very well in falafel - you actually use the peas raw, grinding them coarsely and then letting them soak with the rest of the stuff.

i won't give any recipe suggestions, though, as all the home-made falafel i ever made turned out nearly unedible... yuk! but there's often a recipe on chick pea or gram flour package.

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM
i won't give any recipe suggestions, though, as all the home-made falafel i ever made turned out nearly unedible... yuk! but there's often a recipe on chick pea or gram flour package.

That doesnt bode well, but thanks anyway.

Wont find any recipes here that are not in Dutch though :(

Lily
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I'll have a look and see if I've got a recipe in one of my books...

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks lily

ukahela
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:46 PM
That doesnt bode well, but thanks anyway.

don't worry, i'm sure there must be plenty o' people that have made delicious falafel - just have to find a good recipe and stick to it. i probably left out all the things i didn't have at home not really knowing what difference they'd make to the final result :p

good luck anyway :)

Jacqui
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Felafel uses soaked and ground chick peas, not cooked.

my recipe is roughly..
1 cup ground chickpeas (soaked for at least 12 hours)
1/2 cup cracked wheat or polenta (soaked)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup parsley
1/4 cup coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1tab spoon lemon juice
salt
chilli

Roll into balls and deep fry.
I dont use a recipe and just add more flour if needed and substitute things like polenta for cracked wheat, if I dont have any. That makes quite a lot, but that does me two days, for two people. Enjoy.:)

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Cheers. :)

Do you have to deep fry it?

The recipe I found didnt specify this.

Jacqui
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I find they turn out best deep fried, but you can just fry in a pan.
Also, you can have the cracked wheat AND polenta. The polenta makes them more spongey, without it they are more crunchy.:)

Lily
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM
This is from 'Easy Vegan Cooking' by Leah Leneman:

'The secret of this recipe is to use raw beans, not cooked ones. Serve them in pitta bread pockets, with shredded lettuce and finely chopped cucumber and tomato, with some tahini creamed with lemon juice and crushed garlic.'

225g/1/2lb/11/3 cups chick peas (garbanzo beans)
6 spring onions (scallions)
2tsp coriander seeds
2tsp cumin seeds
1 clove garlic
2tsp chopped parsley
1tsp sea salt
1tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
As required freshly ground black pepper
As required vegetable oil for frying

1) Cover the chick peas (garbanzo beans) with cold water and leave to soak overnight. Drain well and grind the beans - in a food processor, liquidizer (do them in at least 4 separate batches), or mincer.

2) Chop the spring onions (scallions) finely. Grind the coriander and cumin. Crush the garlic.

3) Combine all the remaining ingredients with the chick peas (garbanzo beans) in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.

4) Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a walnut (or smaller if desired). Deep fry them in oil which has been heated to 350-375 degrees F/180-190 degrees C (or in a deep fat fryer) until they are golden. Drain thoroughly on paper towels.

I've never made any myself but this looks easy enough even for me!

Let us know how you get on if you make it, Blueshark :).

Jacqui
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:11 PM
garlic, at least 2 cloves, I forgot:o

Blueshark
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Great. I will print these off, and give it a go tommorow.

BunnyHugger
Apr 20th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I was just curious if anyone loves falafel as much as I do. A non-vegan friend of mine cooked some for me at his house one day and I've been hooked ever since. I find it to be tastier and more delicous than any other meat replacers out there including tofu and soy burgers(though I am a huge fan of Boca). It's especailly good on a whole wheat bun with plain yellow mustard.

Also, what are people's favorite vegan snacks?

Mine is, hands-down, Garden of Eatin Red Hot Blues organic corn chips dipped in Cedar's organic roasted red chilli pepper hummus.

Tigerlily
Apr 20th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I like my falafel the traditional way in a pita wrap or pocket with tahini+lemon juice, pickled turnip, shredded lettuce, tomato, and other veggies.

harpy
Apr 20th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I was just curious if anyone loves falafel as much as I do. A non-vegan friend of mine cooked some for me at his house one day and I've been hooked ever since. I find it to be tastier and more delicous than any other meat replacers out there including tofu and soy burgers(though I am a huge fan of Boca). It's especailly good on a whole wheat bun with plain yellow mustard.

Yes, I and my OH are fellow falafel addicts. We were in Dublin recently and in one restaurant OH had a giant falafel the size of a burger, and presented like one. Mind you he felt a bit the worse for wear afterwards - I suspect it had been deep fried and was rather greasy.

Tigerlily
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Deep fried is the only way to go. :) Baked falafel tastes like shite. It's like mircowaving a cake without any fat or sugar added.

FR
Apr 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Whatever you do, do not use the mixes that are sold. There is a huge difference in taste between those and homemade ones.

I like mine with humus spread out in a pita pocket, veggies on the bottom, falafel on top, then topped with tahini.

saucyvegan
Apr 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Trust u to be on this thread FR!!!!!!!!

BunnyHugger
Apr 21st, 2006, 03:24 AM
Whatever you do do not use the mixes that are sold.

I have to disagree. Though I've never had homemade falafel, I find Fantastic brand organic falafel to be super yum.

FR
Apr 21st, 2006, 03:53 AM
I have to disagree. Though I've never had homemade falafel, I find Fantastic brand organic falafel to be super yum.

Well give us an update after you've tried homemade falafel, or at least falafel at a vegan friendly restaurant.

tabitha
Apr 21st, 2006, 07:43 AM
Whatever you do, do not use the mixes that are sold. There is a huge difference in taste between those and homemade ones.

I like mine with humus spread out in a pita pocket, veggies on the bottom, falafel on top, then topped with tahini.

Do you think about anything else other than food young man:rolleyes: Actually, dont answer that, cos I THINK I just might know the answer to that question.......

Ps by the way that sounds delicious, apart from the tahini (gag).

harpy
Apr 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
Baking seems to work OK with ready-made ones, Tigerlily, but I suspect they've already been fried during the manufacturing process?

I'm sure the freshly fried ones I've had in middle eastern restaurants are the most authentic, and they're certainly delicious.

Tigerlily
Apr 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM
As a Middle Eastern girl, I have never eaten the packaged the stuff, so I can't really say. ;)

harpy
Apr 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Lucky old you! E-mail me a couple of yours, will you? I could just fancy a falafel at the moment :D

aubergine
Apr 21st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Maoz Falafel is an essential visit when I'm in London.

I hear there's several in Amsterdam. Useful to know.