PDA

View Full Version : Today in the Garden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Ginger
May 22nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
It's so hot here today that I had to rescue loads of plants from the greenhouse :eek:

cedarblue
May 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
they just wilt in the blink of an eye!

as said elsewhere, i planted out lettuces, some marigolds and some chives. also popped some garden mint, moroccan & swiss mint in the border with some sage.

apparently the next two days are going to be lovely and warm so i may take a chance on putting my little leeks out and maybe even brocolli.

i need to empty my mini greenhouses so i can pot up in large pots my cucumbers and peppers and chillis.

my brussel sprouts have sprouted......mmmm christmas dinner ;)

Kevster
May 28th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Just planted out the last of the courgettes and they all look very healthy at the moment, i've planted them out bigger than before so they're stronger... see how they go....

Last years chard has grown on very well, and we had some big leaves for dinner. This years is coming along slowly but surely.

The brocolli and kale that i put out by seed is doing ok, despite the odds, i haven't weeded and my housemate got a bit zealous and hit the patch. Soooo i've lost a few. Something also seems to be nibbling them.....

veganbikerboy
May 28th, 2007, 10:06 PM
my garden has gone wild with a bit of rain. The alpine strawberries are looking good, perhaps could do with a feed. Most of the asparagus has shot now, mainly through me being too slow:D

something has attacked my pear trees, looks like catepillars? loads of holy leaves, but doesnt seem to have effected the tree's too much:)

been eating chives (+chive heads) and corriander which are both doing really well:D

Risker
May 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM
been eating chives (+chive heads) and corriander which are both doing really well:D

Do you mean the flowers? I didn't know you could eat them and I have loads of them, what do you do with them?

cedarblue
May 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
phew - just had a mad sunny weather window 'tween the rain and managed to get my leeks and brocolli in.

the heavy rain bent quite a lot of my onions and bashed the potato plants too.

absentmindedfan
May 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Do you mean the flowers? I didn't know you could eat them and I have loads of them, what do you do with them?

Just eat them in a salad or as a garnish see here (http://www.vegalicious.org/2007/05/09/broccoli-soup-with-a-bite/) and here (http://www.vegalicious.org/2007/05/04/white-asparagus-with-sweet-mustard-sauce-and-chive-blossoms/)

Ginger
Jun 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Got loads done on the allotment yesterday :) I went straight from taking the kids to school and I was the only soul there for over an hour which was so peaceful. Weeded the onions, planted lots of herbs, sowed some more carrots and planted out the poor cosmos I'd neglected. Still lots of clearing to do (when the other half has some spare time to help)
Got given lots of rhubarb, broad beans and lettuce the other day. I felt like I'd been to the market :) (and all for free)

veganbikerboy
Jun 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
my garden has just gone wild; unfortunatley the lady that helps me has had a familt berievment and i have either been working on the house or away, doesnt take long to get over grown.:rolleyes:

have had a fair few strawberries, plus had some corriander and loads of chives, the beans are also doing well:D

the nettles and comfry have gone mad too, need to make some green manure with them:D

Melanie
Jun 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
We're currently trying to hook up our pond filter round the side and down some rocks using a random peice of an old tree trunk... oh dear me :p

cedarblue
Jun 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
we had to take our pond out as it had a leak and we used the ground for growing so i just put a washing up bowl buried into the ground, with some rocks for things that fall in to climb out and - ta-da a mini pond that birds, squirrels and cats have been drinking from.

my spinach doesn't seem to be growing or its being nibbled away at point of sprout!:( sowed another row yesterday, we'll see what happens...

all seems to be growing well in my a-plotment. fennel seeds are just sprouting and i've covered up the brussel sprout plants with netting to stop the pigeons nipping the tips.

something is enjoying the strawberries - and it aint us!!

got to start off my rainbow chard very soon - and the curly kale is sprouting well in seed trays in the plastic-house.

torrential rainfall just now gave it all a good watering.

mum gave me some chinese lantern plants which i've planted and my m-i-l gave me another two raspberry cuttings and some jasmine.

i want to make a scarecrow for the garden, just as a feature.

put more bird feeders up and have enjoyed watching the blue tits, great tits, robins, sparrows and squirrels eat the seeds and nuts.

Risker
Jun 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Checked my plants for the first time since returning from holiday today to find that slugs have totally demolished about half of my plants :(

On a positive side though I found that several of the goldenberries had fallen from the plant so I collected them and just need to wait for them to ripen up now.

I'm really annoyed about the slugs, before I left I specially chopped up a couple of cloves of garlic and sprinkled them around the plants, I also stuck a garlic plant (The only one I have unfortunately) in the middle of all the other plants. I've moved all the damaged plants (Some have been left with no leaves at all) into the greenhouse so hopefully they will recover - I doubt it though :(

auntierozzi
Jun 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Poor Risker...the vegan 'battle' of the slug is a sorry one isn't it?!! I just think we are producing bigger happier slugs! I think it was the slugs who ate through one of my two cucumbers..unless it was the birds.

Roxy
Jun 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM
One of my pots on the balcony is infested with aphids. They've taken over what were 3 lovely primula plants. I don't know what to do with them, so I've just moved the pot to the other end of the balcony away from the other plants.

On a more positive note, my geraniums are thriving and coming up in beautiful pink blossoms.

Herbidacious
Jun 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM
A lot of my plants have been battered by the recent wind and rain, with some of the more willowy ones having broken stems. All the wet weather has made the slugs and snails go wild, there seems to be thousands of them.

cedarblue
Jun 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
...join the slug club herbi!!

roxy, i had greenfly or aphids on my young pepper & chilli plants, i just tipped the pot on its side and kept tapping the pot or plant and they seems to fall off on their own!!

Herbidacious
Jun 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
A few weeks ago I put a small pot in a holder about six feet up the wall and the snails home in on it. I've never seen them climing up the wall before so they must be able to detect the plant six feet up. They must have an incredible sense of smell!

Ginger
Jun 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM
We have lost SO much to slugs on the allotment. This wet weather isn't helping much either :(
Pouring here in Sussex again today so I don't think I'll be getting much done outdoors. Never mind, there's always baking instead ( and at least the slugs aren't involved)

angelamc
Jun 29th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I hate slugs!! I try not to kill them on principle but they make me so furious!! They are greedy, slimy, little jerks. I have no vegan compassion for them, I am sorry to say. For now, I try to protect most of my plants with home remedy-type solutions but the slugs always figure out a way to get to them. Is it wrong to hate slugs so much? Sometimes I think they are taunting and testing me- just daring me to squash them!! They're lucky I have so much self control.
:mad:

RedWellies
Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Can anyone give me some advice (for a friend) on growing garlic? She has grown some this year and a few tasted lovely but the rest rotted. I seem to recall someone on here knew about garlic (Cedarblue or Risker maybe?).

Risker
Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
You need to make sure they're well drained as they do rot if they're left sitting in water.

I'm going to be planting several bulbs later this year, enough to surround my entire vegetable patch with a wall of garlic plants in the hope that it'll stop the slugs.

veganbikerboy
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
I agree. My garllic grows well cos i'm I have free draining sandy soil.:D

cedarblue
Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
my garlic is doing better this year cos i'm growing it in raised beds whereas before it was in a shady, damp corner with slightly poorer drainage, and they rotted.

no slugs have set slime in my raised bed containing leeks, garlic & onions.

RedWellies
Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the input, guys:).

whalespace
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Today at allotment, I drank strawberry tea within my cylindrical sunchoke screen.
I trimmed my grass path with shears,
thinned lettuce [which appear to remain non radulad...only feet from the orange trimmed bruisers],
turned the soil from under last years chardy beet things,
and fashioned a crude blast furnace entirely from compost:D .

Then I had to take a ladder to the spruce tree to check for orphaned birdlings due to Boo [a cat] dragging a [struggling] pigeon sized bird into the house. The bird survived, but shuffled around garage roof for a couple of days before disappearing. Also needed to stalk boo while she stalked Tiggywinkle [new friendly hedgehog] around the wood stacks.