PDA

View Full Version : Today in the Garden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

cobweb
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM
whalespace (*is off-topic :o ) i love your avatar :)

whalespace
Jul 8th, 2007, 08:54 AM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r274/whalespace/Mosaic.jpg
It reminds me of an electron micrograph of the vitamin D crystal cobweb *tries to make it relevant*, but is not.
I stumbled into it while following PinkLogic.
Sorry if that took ages...

cedarblue
Jul 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
mmmm - spuds from the garden today - nothing like them!!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/spuds.jpg

Robert
Jul 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks to the neverending rain my aubergines and chillies all died, the tomatoes are still hanging on by a thread and the lettuce was wiped out over two nights by the unholy army of slugs that has taken up residence in my backyard.

Things are going better in the greenhouse with the tomatoes there now standing over four foot tall, laden with flowers but no fruit yet, the cucumbers are coming on well and the lettuce there did wonderfully but the last remaining plants have now bolted.

The apple tree lost a third of its fruit to the high winds and the remainder appears to be coming on well.

whalespace
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I was given some potatos yesterday, which are in the oven now. They look like sunchokes but are potatos, I saw the plants. I forgot their name...sooo I'm going to find out how many I can eat before bedtime:) .

tipsy
Jul 9th, 2007, 03:49 AM
cedar those are beautiful!!!

:)

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2007, 04:14 AM
They do look gorgeous Cedar! Yum yum!

I don't have a garden, so my balcony is the closest I have, with all of my potted plants out there.

I mentioned in another thread that I have put seed and a dish of water out there for the birds. They're loving it and my boyfriend said there were up to 12 of them having a party out there today! :D It's like their own private sanctuary. They don't even shit out there which is a bonus!

cedarblue
Jul 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
They don't even shit out there which is a bonus!

LOL :D

Tibetan Snake
Jul 16th, 2007, 02:30 AM
You need to make sure they're well drained as they do rot if they're left sitting in water.

I'm going to be planting several bulbs later this year, enough to surround my entire vegetable patch with a wall of garlic plants in the hope that it'll stop the slugs.
Aparently if 'they' have to go over a Copper wire :mad: they will find some where els to eat insted. I will cheque the vallidaty of this statment.
I just finished eating this years crop of Cherrys ( Summer Sun ) I picked half and left half for the birds. I got 2 kg from 2 trees, one planted last year and the other 6 years old.
I have 2 apples on a tree planted last year also. One is damaged and the other I look at every day and am realy looking forward to eating.
Sadly the only Oullins Golden Gage Plum on the tree that I planted at the same time has fallen off, o well heres hopeing next year is better.
I planted all my Garlic and Onions in pots on the portch.
Onion flowers are just so pritty I think.
The Buttrefly larve got all my Goosburys agen this year.:eek:
I just may have a hand full of Blueburys for the first time this year, there looking good so far.:D :D :D

veganbikerboy
Jul 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
had a good day in the garden on Saturday, with the help of whalespace. Loads of stuff like weeding, mowing and hedgecutting to catch up on. WS turned my compost, the weather has been shit for everything else but the compost has rotted a treat:D

still getting loads of broad beans, the alpine strawberries are also still coming, my cabbages seem to have gone over, but maybe able to salvage some and I also have a broad leaf variety of parsley, coriander and Dill. picked my raspberries and blackberries too. also picked a load of nasturtium (sp?) petals to go with my lunch:D

apple and pear trees seem to have a good crop too, although the trees desperatly need pruning, but it will wait til autumn.

really pleased with my wildflower garden, looks so beautiful, i should take some pics:o

cedarblue
Jul 16th, 2007, 03:32 PM
yes do VBB!!

Ginger
Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Everything is just wet and soggy here. All hopes are pinned on the sweetcorn...

cedarblue
Jul 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
pulled up rotting dwarf french beans yesterday - too much rain :(

planted some more spinach & chard in pots this time. thinned out the nasturtium plants from the butternut squash bed, they were obstructing the squach vines from branching right out - little biddy squashes just starting to swell.

chargrilled some baby courgettes yesterday for homemade pizza with onion from garden too.

garlic starting to rot i think, damp again.

tidied out shed (again!) and pulled some yellow carrots for grating down into tonights stuffing in roast peppers.

Melanie
Jul 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Got the onions and potatoes in finally ^.^ (I was rather erm... proud) See pictures;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Spikey555/ONION.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Spikey555/potato.jpg

Imported Memory
Jul 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I LOVE potatoes! Melanie, what are you wearing in your pictures? It looks really warm and cosy! I want one! It's so chilly here lately.

cedarblue
Jul 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM
lovely melanie!

three days ago my squash/corn patch had 29 slugs in it. yesterday i collected..wait for it.. 63 slugs..honest! that really is an invasion - they are eating off the tips of the squash that stretch along the ground so no flowers ergo no squash grow. i've got some squash developing so thats good news.

onions are really sweet and corn has lots of nice cobs swelling too. jerusalem artichokes from last year are growing really high.

pulled up the last of the maris pipers yesterday and used some mammoth ones as jacket spuds last night - looking forward to eating the pink fir spuds soon.

Melanie
Jul 26th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I LOVE potatoes! Melanie, what are you wearing in your pictures? It looks really warm and cosy! I want one! It's so chilly here lately.
^.^ Ah that's my 'hippie' top, I wear it under my robes sometimes when I go to celebrations and it's cold =]
Its uber cozy ^.^ I get cold a lot so its good, AND it has a pointy hood :D
(Here's a link to a similar one in case you're interested, they're always all different which is cool =] http://cgi.ebay.com/MEN-WOMEN-HIPPIE-GUATEMALAN-hoodie-HOODED-SWEATSHIRT-L_W0QQitemZ260141813795QQihZ016QQcategoryZ63862QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

lovely melanie!

Thank-you! ^.^

Imported Memory
Jul 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
onions are really sweet and corn has lots of nice cobs swelling too. jerusalem artichokes from last year are growing really high.

That's really crazy about your slugs! I've never heard of so many in one place before. You must have some pretty tasty squash plants!

How high do your artichokes grow? And what kind of environment is ideal for them? I love artichokes, but they're so expensive here. I never thought to grow my own, but I am in love with the idea. I should probably do some research and see where and when I could grow them. More than likely have to wait till I'm in a warmer climate, but the dream alone is fun.

^.^ Ah that's my 'hippie' top, I wear it under my robes sometimes when I go to celebrations and it's cold =]
Its uber cozy ^.^ I get cold a lot so its good, AND it has a pointy hood :D
(Here's a link to a similar one in case you're interested, they're always all different which is cool =] http://cgi.ebay.com/MEN-WOMEN-HIPPIE-GUATEMALAN-hoodie-HOODED-SWEATSHIRT-L_W0QQitemZ260141813795QQihZ016QQcategoryZ63862QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

Thank-you! ^.^

Thank you! I think I see one of these in my future! A must have!

cedarblue
Jul 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
artichokes grow just about anywhere but beware they can be very invasive. if you leave any tubers from the last year they will grow on from them and multiply. mine grew to about 6ft last year!

the slugs were everywhere, it had been raining for about 24hrs non stop and they were out in force.

i took a photo, i'll try and post it soon.

cedarblue
Jul 26th, 2007, 07:17 PM
here are just a few of the slugs

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/slugs.jpg

and here are the very young squash they love

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/squash.jpg

Imported Memory
Jul 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I will definitely be trying my hand at some chokes next year. Wow... Slugs... Everywhere... :eek:

I was looking around and stumbled upon this (http://www.eartheasy.com/grow_nat_slug_cntrl.htm). I would be tempted to try some of the ideas listed on that site as a humane means of slug control. Sans the drowning, dehydration, salt and poison options... That's just mean. The poor sluggoes shouldn't be punished for doing just what comes to them naturally.
I'd be very interested in the copper idea. I had no idea it could be used to deter slugs.

cedarblue
Jul 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM
thats a good link i.m. - you can probably see the brick to the left of the photo, i hve put 5 of these in the squash area, propped by a stone and now check it every morning. the slugs like to hang out under the bricks come morning, then i re-locate them in the scrubland on the other side of the fence at the end of the garden. they are testing my patience though.

i tried the copper strips round the raised beds - did no good at all for me - my slugs are determined...

Tibetan Snake
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I put 9 Cumfry plants in and am looking forward to tea soon.
Dug some holes in the bloody chalk for posts for reataining walls made of wood in the round. So I can have me Strawberys up at waste hight, and make it easyer to pot on the new shoots next year. Mooved loads of Chalk so I can get the watering can under the tap on the water butt, and get the last one in place. When I get it in place that will be 5. Should never run out of water then.
HOORAA.
Some one tolled me Slugs don't like to hoof it over sharp sand. Never tryed it.

Melanie
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:24 PM
Tomatoes! =D (They're a bit erm... strange looking, but they taste yummy!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/Spikey555/tomato005.jpg

cedarblue
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:09 PM
WOW mel, they're super!! none of my toms are red yet, hopefully the burst of sun this week will spur them on - did you grow them in a greenhouse or on a window sill??

picked a bowlful of fresh garden peas today for paella and pasta primavera later in the week. didnt plant enought peas really and thats them done for this year so ripped up the plants for space to plant out my curly kale for the winter.

note for next year; dont plant nasturtiums in amongst veg, they take over!!