PDA

View Full Version : Today in the Garden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Risker
Jan 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,224 groups with 4,326,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!

http://www.freecycle.org/

cedarblue
Jan 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
here's a good site with loads of different types of tomato seeds if anyone is interested.

http://www.readytogrow.co.uk/index.htm

cedarblue
Feb 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM
i found this inspiring - i know they have that californian sunshine but still.....

mCPEBM5ol0Q

veganbikerboy
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I spent this afternoon pruning my fruit trees (:eek:), i'd never done it before, so i hope i havent killed them.

I bought 'the fruit expert' book, and it seemed that the trees have not been pruned properly for many years, although they fruited well last season, they had lots of crossed branches and were too dense etc.. I hope they will improve after todays masacre:eek::D

cedarblue
Feb 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
pruning can be scary - well done for doing it - i'm sure it'll help the trees :)

whalespace
Feb 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Today I made it to allotment :).
I dug around...remembered what I was doing... excavated some salsify, scorzonera, and sunchokes. Got my shirt off to catch some rays [valid reason] .
I noticed a three foot wide patch of white and crumbling nettles, in the middle of a semi rampant stand of healthy little nippers [you know the type, tiny leaves but needle spines]. I suspect Mr. Weedkiller, ex upstanding site representative, and one of my plot neighbours :mad:....; I have not used poisons on my plot since I got it [seven years ago].
Stirred my sack of roots with a broom in a barrow load of water....gosh that is so easy.
...put my shirt back on...midges [valid reason].

Ginger
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
One thing I won't be doing on my allotment is getting my shirt off :D

cedarblue
Feb 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
no fear...brrrrrr.

i ordered my tomato, pepper & chilli seeds online today from a company with a really great range and lovely names!

tomatoes;
Black Tula
White Wonder
Amish Salad
Striped Roman
Orange Banana

I've also bought some seeds for;
rocket
runner beans
onion sets
3 diff types of spuds
yellow courgettes

orange calendula
antirrhinums (sp?)

most other things i have seeds left over from last year.

roll on the easter hols, time for me to begin potting! woohoo

Ginger
Mar 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Spent a fortune (£60) at the garden centre today. Loads of seed potatoes, onion sets, tomato, sweetcorn, chilli, pepper, beetroot, radish & sweetpea seeds. Lots of dahlia and lilly bulbs (1/2 price).
Popped to the allotment on the way home - not as bad as we thought :D

bryzee86
Mar 1st, 2008, 09:28 PM
I wish I had an allotment :(

cedarblue
Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
apply for one bry!

anyone grow fruit trees as cordons or espalier?

Roxy
Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Yesterday, I went with my mum-in-law to the garden centre. We both only have balconies, so we have pot plant gardens :D

She very kindly bought me some plants to get me started for the spring - 3 primulas (2 pink and 1 yellow) and another flowering plant (pink) that I've forgotten the name of. And a pot of assorted flowering bulbs that are coming up in purples :) Hopefully I'll have a chance to pot them over the next few days. At the moment they're allowed outside during the day, but I'm bringing them in at night while it's still a bit cool.

cedarblue
Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
i remember you posting your pink plants from previous years roxy!

Aradia
Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've just sown masses of tomato seeds ... about 7 or 8 varieties. Also beetroot, brocolli, Brussel sprouts, artichoke, celeriac and broad beans (in old loo rolls!), I've set three varieties of potatoes to chit.

I'm soooo not ready for Spring!!

Heartsease
Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Aaaargh....I think I'd better get started. Are you using vegan compost?

Risker
Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
What's vegan compost? Or what's not vegan about normal compost if that's a better question.

Heartsease
Mar 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Blood and bone. Euurgh. You can be sure the slaughterhouses get some money for that.

http://veganorganic.net/

Risker
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Just bought a big bag of it, hope it's ok!

Heartsease
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Did you get the Earth Cycle one?

For anyone else who is interested I found this one at:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_176&products_id=2221

I think I might order this one myself.

Risker
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Nope, morrisons, cost me about £3

Heartsease
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Nope, morrisons, cost me about £3

Ah well. :p

Aradia
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Aaaargh....I think I'd better get started. Are you using vegan compost?

I makes me own :)

Aradia
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Did you get the Earth Cycle one?

For anyone else who is interested I found this one at:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_176&products_id=2221

I think I might order this one myself.

Holy shit, that's expensive!!!!

How many are you going to buy? Are you rich? can I come and live with you if so?? :D

whalespace
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I wish I had an allotment :(

I asked for mine just a few years before "Groundforce" etc. found its way onto terrestrial t.v.. I got half a plot for just finding an old gardener's house!

Now the waiting list is 69 +; apply and prepare.... A walk around the allotments can be very interesting whether you have your own plot or not....see what you can find.

cedarblue
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
i have a few butternut squash seeds and brussell sprout and dwarf kale seeds that i'm not using this year. i'm happy to share them around if anyone would like some.

pm me with your addressess if you want some.