PDA

View Full Version : Today in the Garden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25

rantipole
May 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
I put some of my seedlings in the ground yesterday. I planted the squash, bush beans, morning glories (upended a whole tray of them, so I killed about half the ones I had :( ), moonflowers, nasturtiums, and carrots.

The corn completely crapped out on me. I think I left them in the seedling pots for too long. I started a new batch and will put them in the ground in much more timely fashion.

This weekend, I'll try to plant the marigolds, basil, and lemon balm. My mom also got us a honeysuckle bush that I'll need to plant.

Cedar, I wish my garden looked that good.

Maisie, not sure exactly what a good substitute would be. If you are adding bonemeal for calcium, I think calcium carbonate would be OK.

Cheers,
rant

snivelingchild
May 1st, 2008, 11:42 PM
All my tomatoes DID die. *sigh* I started the rest of my seeds, though, so I hope they work out. I'm going to restart the rest of my brandywine tomato seeds, but I found that I've lost my sausage tomato seeds. :( The soil in my herb garden seems too clayish, and keeps getting muddy and herd when watered or rained on, even a little. What should I do?? I've already sowed most of my seeds there, so I don't want to mix better topsoil in it.

On the upside, the one tomato plant cucumber plant, and lettuce head I have are going strong.

rantipole
May 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
The soil in my herb garden seems too clayish, and keeps getting muddy and herd when watered or rained on, even a little. What should I do?? I've already sowed most of my seeds there, so I don't want to mix better topsoil in it..

Hmm, I would suggest mixing sand and compost in, but since you've already got seedlings in it, I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe surround your seedlings with deep organic mulch that will eventually break down into good soil. I use a layer of newspaper covered with about four inches of straw. Over time, this will improve your soil quality while also preventing most weeds from growing.

Cheers,
rant

snivelingchild
May 3rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Good idea. The seeds just started to come up, and they look good and green so far. The rest of my vegetables have also popped up!

cedarblue
May 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM
so a little further along the way to completion;

on with the polythene

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/halfwaythere.jpg

one end done

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/onesidedone.jpg

a cat inspecting the inside

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/polycat.jpg

both cats 'helping' in the garden

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/cedar_03/catshelping.jpg

Risker
May 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'm impressed with the poly tunnel, what size is it and how much did it cost you? It looks alot of work to put it together.

cedarblue
May 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
it was quite a lot, as we had the basic kit then bought some extra bits, anti hot spot tape etc. it's 8ft x 20ft.

here's the site;

http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/polytunnel.asp?cbowidth=8

you choose the size you want then get the price.

i would say that there are extra bits which are necessary which are not in the basic kit which would bump up the price a bit more, but the capacity is huge which would cost even more for a greenhouse of the same size.

it was extremely hard, hot work yesterday in that lovely sunshine for the two of us! but so worthwhile. if you get all the kit you need first off and get a good weather week with a couple of break days inbetween, a week maybe a few days more. min 2 people needed for polythene covering though to make it easier.

Risker
May 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Since something decided to dine on my squash plant that I put out yesterday I've decided to give this ago;

EDIT: Link removed, vid changed.

I've tried garlic before but I used a different method to this and I don't think I gave it a proper go.

In case anyone can't see the vid it's instructions to make a garlic wash. To make it you crush 2 bulbs of garlic into 2 pints of water (I did 1 bulb, 1 pint), boil it for 3 to 4 minutes, strain the mixture, make it back up to 2 pints by adding water and then let it cool.

To use it you add 1 Tbsp to 1 gallon of water then using a watering can sprinkle it onto the leaves of your plants in the late afternoon so that the wash dries to the leaves.

Arabfrancophile
May 12th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I already posted about this on another thread but I thought it might be a good idea to post it on the garden thread too.

I make homemade almond milk and I was wondering if I could spread the leftover pulp around my roses and other flowers like we do with the grounds from coffee.......peace, Mike :D

cedarblue
May 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
brilliant post risker, thanks. any feedback from your trial yet?

Risker
May 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
No further damage from the garden monsters so far, but then it has been quite dry lately, I think the end of the week when the weathers a bit wetter will be a better test of it.

whalespace
May 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Since something decided to dine on my squash...

I've tried garlic before but I used a different method to this and I don't think I gave it a proper go.

In case anyone can't see the vid it's instructions to make a garlic wash. To make it you crush 2 bulbs of garlic into 2 pints of water ...

I saw such an enormous bag of garlic powder in an asian grocer shop in Leicester, it was so cheap that I only just resisted. I guess garlic powder would cause mould problems.

I saw a mongrel fox early yesterday [pardon my digression] ; it looked like a dingo bush dog.

puffin
May 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/yasawas/SP_A0140.jpg
Some of my garden pots. Havent been moved in for long but i am quite happy with the way the pots are looking.

BlackCats
May 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
They look nice Puffin. :) I need to buy some more plants for my garden.

puffin
May 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thank you Aphro :)

Hemlock
May 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Corum has burnt the garden to the ground - I am sure some good will come of it but I bet the blasted bind weed will survive alright:(

cedarblue
May 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
is that 'burnt' to clear the ground? or an accident 'burnt'?

yesterday put out my dwarf french beans and made little bamboo & string frame ready for pea seedlings. planted 4 more rows of rainbow carrots and a row of spring onions.

i need to pot on the toms i'm keeping and the cukes and courgettes, they're getting a bit mini-pot bound. i also bought some geraniums and other daisy like plant to go round mini pond. later when it's cooler i will sow a row of beets.

Corum
May 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
bit of both...
dried out bayleaves (in a big pile with branches, etc. from last year) that I'd stuck in a pile to go onto the fire that I'd just made in the garden - caught very quickly... a bit too quickly. Thankfully, it's only a patch of ground 10ft by 10ft and the neighbour's fence at the back is a bit singed.

We found that our hose pipe was 20ft too short so had to call out the fire brigade.

The flames were up into the trees 20ft high :eek: A neighbour came round and lent us his hose pipe. By the time they arrived, the fire had been put out.

What made it so embarrassing was that our new neighbour was driving the fire engine!!!

He came round to watch the fire later - with beer!! So we introduced him to vegan cooking (barbecued spuds with Tofutti and vegan mayo) and wine (that's how our wine stock got depleted!)

Maisiepaisie
May 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Since something decided to dine on my squash plant that I put out yesterday I've decided to give this ago;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardenersworld/

In case anyone can't see the vid it's instructions to make a garlic wash. To make it you crush 2 bulbs of garlic into 2 pints of water (I did 1 bulb, 1 pint), boil it for 3 to 4 minutes, strain the mixture, make it back up to 2 pints by adding water and then let it cool.

To use it you add 1 Tbsp to 1 gallon of water then using a watering can sprinkle it onto the leaves of your plants in the late afternoon so that the wash dries to the leaves.
Risker, thanks for that. Is this just for slugs or will it deter aphids as well? I think the birds are helping with the slugs but I did have one bad day where they demolished half of my cos lettuces.

Is the video a different one now? Its of the Malvern Gardening Show

Hemlock
May 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
We have a 100 foot rear garden which is full of lovely big trees with preservation orders on them. As a result we can't grow any veg in the back as it's only suitable for woodland plants. We have a massive bay tree (anyone want any bay leaves), a huge holly tree, three birches about 50 feet high at the end. I love them all and it's great having some shade on a really hot day.
The elderly couple who lived here before didn't do any gardening for 20 years so it's in a bit of a state, we're currently clearing 20 years worth of crap from the beds including bricks, stones, buried household stuff and there is apparently a caravan chassis in there somewhere according to the neighbours, Corum has found the headlights:eek:, we need a person with a digger to come and dig up the rocks and semi buried rockery at the end and a skip to dispose of it all.
Once we have done the clearing we will be planting a host of woodland plants and shrubs, artemisia, bluebells, hellebores etc and mulch the whole lot with large woodchips.
The lawn needs work but is ok it just doesn't grow well around the trees so those bits will be beds.
The new extension which is being built in September (the old one is collapsing) will have big double doors into the garden and steps down onto a decked area, decking may be out of fashion but looks lovely in a woodland garden.
The front of the house has a garden big enough for 2 or three parked cars but is currently overgrown to hell and we're getting the whole lot cleared and paved in September.
It is the sunny side and because we front onto a large close not a main road we can grow our veg there so I'm leaving a large veg bed and we'll grow our veg at the front of the house along with wild and cottage garden flowers so it looks pretty as well as practical. We don't park our cars there as there is loads of room on the road.
We're going to have some large standing stones in the back and an open altar with the Green man and various stones and natural items on it.
All in all it's a big job and we'll be working hard all year.
I'll post before and after pics later on:)
Our four cats are buried at the end of the garden under the beech tree and we're going to have a little memorial plot with stones and a statue of Pan who is the guardian of animals.

whalespace
May 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
We found that our hose pipe was 20ft too short so had to call out the fire brigade.

The flames were up into the trees 20ft high :eek: A neighbour came round and lent us his hose pipe. By the time they arrived, the fire had been put out.

What made it so embarrassing was that our new neighbour was driving the fire engine!!!

He came round to watch the fire later - with beer!! So we introduced him to vegan cooking (barbecued spuds with Tofutti and vegan mayo) and wine (that's how our wine stock got depleted!)
:D
Avoiding the obvious fireball advice...
That is a fairly elaborate way of inviting your new neighbour to the vittles.

When I retrieved my mortar trowels from a cubby hole in my current job this morning, out hopped a frog. The depression in the base of certain bricks is called a frog too... a simple thought which brightens my trowelling sometimes. I found a newt in one once, it was a bit dry so I spat on it, and put it back.

Risker
May 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Risker, thanks for that. Is this just for slugs or will it deter aphids as well? I think the birds are helping with the slugs but I did have one bad day where they demolished half of my cos lettuces.

Is the video a different one now? Its of the Malvern Gardening Show

It certainly wouldn't hurt, I know aphids don't like garlic either, in fact I'd go so far as to say most garden pests don't. For aphids I'd probably spray as many off with a hose as you could, and then apply the garlic wash after.

Yeah, different vid now, I'll remove my link to it.

cedarblue
May 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
We have a 100 foot rear garden which is full of lovely big trees with preservation orders on them. As a result we can't grow any veg in the back as it's only suitable for woodland plants. We have a massive bay tree (anyone want any bay leaves), a huge holly tree, three birches about 50 feet high at the end. I love them all and it's great having some shade on a really hot day

sounds like the original forest garden!

hellebores

i love hellibores!

I'll post before and after pics later on:)

looking forward to it!! :bigsmile:

Hemlock
May 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Your garden looks fantastic Cedarblue, it looks a lot like ours except the trees are insde the fence as well as out.
The cats are all,"Man all this activity is tiring me out":D
Great polytunnel too.

Risker
May 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Today I found a large snail crawling up the side of one of my plant pots in the green house on it's way to a feast. I tried removing it but it didn't want to let go and I didn't want to pull too hard for fear of hurting it so I put the pot outside and watered it with the garlic wash I mentioned earlier. I checked back on the plant a few minutes later and it had not only changed it's mind about eating the plant but had abandoned the garlic stenching area entirely - result.

All the other plants that I have been using the garlic wash on daily seem to be completely untouched so far (I hadn't used any in the greenhouse) I'm not completely sold but the results are looking good.