PDA

View Full Version : Today in the Garden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Seaside
May 17th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Try mulching with aluminum foil. Cats are not supposed to like it, and it will reflect more light onto your plants.

tails4wagging
May 17th, 2005, 06:30 AM
No cats since I put net around the veg patch. Cats can't get in.

DianeVegan
May 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the aluminum foil tip, Seaside! A neighbor cat enjoys sleeping on my lavender. Very odd. I will try this remedy.

Aurora
May 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Try mulching with aluminum foil. Cats are not supposed to like it, and it will reflect more light onto your plants.

I hadn't heard of this before, thank you seaside. There is a little corner of my garden that the cats seem to love using as their toilet :( , so I will try this.

Seaside
May 18th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Posted by Dianecrna:

Thanks for the aluminum foil tip, Seaside! A neighbor cat enjoys sleeping on my lavender. Very odd. I will try this remedy.
Posted by Aurora:

I hadn't heard of this before, thank you seaside. There is a little corner of my garden that the cats seem to love using as their toilet :( , so I will try this.
You're welcome! I hope it works! It might frighten the chipmunks, too, Dianecrna, now that I think about it.

Roxy
May 25th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I think my basil is dying :(

When I brought it home, it was all perky with dark green, crispy leaves. Now it is a lighter green with soft, unperky leaves.

Last week we had a lot of rain here and it was a bit cold, so I brought the basil inside for nearly the whole week and didn't give it a whole lot of water.

What's wrong! It's sitting outside now, basking in the sun. The soil in the pot is still damp, so I don't think it needs any water.

DianeVegan
May 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM
A few days without sun, damp conditions - that's all it takes, especially if it's a young basil plant. It may rebound in the sun. I've had the same problem with basil and sometimes it can be revived. Good luck.

tails4wagging
May 26th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Perhaps its the constant change in temp, it doesnt like?.

I have just baught one and repotted it into a bigger pot its outside as we are having weather that is warm at the moment.

cedarblue
May 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM
my four pots of basil, being kept in small, plastic greenhouse-type-thingy are really rampant and strong - how big is the pot? you could make a greenhouse/cloche type atmosphere by popping a used pop/water bottle over the pot to take the temp up to mediterranean temp or pop a large, clear plastic bag over pot to create the same environment?

ive been thinning out my spinach and carrot seedlings in the lovely hot and sunny garden today and will plant out my sunflower plants over the bank holiday weekend.

our veggie garden desperately needs a weed too! :o

Roxy
May 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the hints guys!

The basil is teetering on the edge of life and death. When I got home from work tonight, it looked a little healthier than it did this morning. I think a good dose of sun did it some good.

If it doesn't look any more perkier tomorrow, I'm going to try that plastic bag trick cedar.

cedarblue
May 27th, 2005, 07:30 PM
WOW!

first red strawberry in pot in greenhouse today! i cant eat it though - last year the same plant was growing wild in the ground and husband spotted the strawb. next day i ate it and told him a squirrel must have had it ;)

this year he is saying squirelly nutkins is not having his strawbs [while looking slyly at me out of the corner of his eye!]
:rolleyes:

feline01
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Not quite my garden but I went to the organic farm that I visit weekly during nice weather and they had a big basket full of dandelion greens, beet greens, kale, collard greens, raddichio and bibb lettuce :D all picked for me, I just had to take it home to wash. All organic and only $25 (would have been about $40 in a health food store).

cedarblue
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:06 PM
have had lots of ripe strawbs from greenhouse plants - delish!! :)

also today made scrummy pour over sauce including mint and parsley from garden too.

have planted a fern around my pond and put up nut feeder and seed sticks after watching 'springwatch' ;) cut grass and popped some cos lettuce in amongst the lollo rosso.

veganblue
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Got out into the garden and did some Autumn pruning - even though we have just entered Winter :D It's been very dry here so have to wait a little for the rains forcast this weekend for doing anything major.
I dug up Jerusalem artichokes and am pretty keen on trying something new with them. I usually scrub 'em and use them raw or steam them. Soup? Bake them? I am not sure what else to do with them - might have to google.
I pruned the perennial basil bush and the smell was wonderful. Feels really good to get out there and tidy things up - there's plenty more to do!
(Please let it rain soon!)

Roxy
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:42 AM
My basil is continuing along, despite it's near death experience. My lavender is growing up nice and bushy, but no flowers yet.

Oh and I bought a pink watering can :D

tails4wagging
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Got out into the garden and did some Autumn pruning - even though we have just entered Winter :D It's been very dry here so have to wait a little for the rains forcast this weekend for doing anything major.
I dug up Jerusalem artichokes and am pretty keen on trying something new with them. I usually scrub 'em and use them raw or steam them. Soup? Bake them? I am not sure what else to do with them - might have to google.
I pruned the perennial basil bush and the smell was wonderful. Feels really good to get out there and tidy things up - there's plenty more to do!
(Please let it rain soon!)

You can have soom of our rain, if you like, we have had loads and I am sure we could spare some!!! ;) :)

veganblue
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:22 AM
You can have soom of our rain, if you like, we have had loads and I am sure we could spare some!!! ;) :)

Cheers muchly! I will send the postage! :) I imagine it will come by air freight?

tails4wagging
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yes, air frieght will do fine!!!!! :D

Aurora
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Rescued a big fat pigeon that got caught at the back of the netting by our strawberries on Friday morning while getting some basil out of the greenhouse! By Friday night all our brocilli and sprout plants had been decimated by guess who...........yes the big fat pigeon :(

We halved our first strawberry on Sunday :) and I had the most wonderful salad from my salad greens, lettuce, radishes and chives fresh from the garden. Sorted out the greenhouse and now the tomatoes, aubergines, melons, peppers, cucumber and squash have their own spaces. Huge courgette plant outside. Oh, I do love this time of year!

tails4wagging
Jun 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Well thats thanks for you, Aurora!!!! :)

cedarblue
Jun 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM
My basil is continuing along, despite it's near death experience.

hows the basil doing, roxy?

i was putting some cold rice out for the birds today and saw a baby newt in my pond WOOHOOO :D dear little thing, no bigger than my little finger nail - i hope he survives and grows up :)

Aurora
Jun 17th, 2005, 07:00 PM
My basil got something nasty and died :(

The funny thing is, I moved it away from my other herbs on the patio and my husband went out there last night and was away for ages. When he came back in I asked him what he had been doing and he told me he had been watering the basil as it was dying :rolleyes: Bless him :D

Start again some fresh soil, but I've got a salad tonight.......and no basil :(

tails4wagging
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Mine is still growing and flowering!!!!.

Pulled up two early potato plants two days ago, and had my first home grown pots,. lovely!!!.

Beetroot is very healthy, but unsure when to pull them up as they look very small but the plant is starting to flower!!.

Aurora
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Beetroot is very healthy, but unsure when to pull them up as they look very small but the plant is starting to flower!!.

We left ours last year and they got too big and totally inedible. They ended up in the compost bin :(

Roxy
Jun 19th, 2005, 04:12 AM
hows the basil doing, roxy?

It seems to be coming along well thanks, Cedar. We haven't had a lot of sun lately, so it's a bit droopy again, but as soon as it gets a day of sun, it seems it will perk up again.

Bit worried about what's going on with the lavender though. It's growing up nice and bushy - but no flowers! :o