PDA

View Full Version : Today in the Garden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Limey
Jul 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I've heard putting banana peels/skins on or under plants will help deter aphids. Don't know if this is true or not, or even how well it works. I don't have my own garden and certainly don't have a green thumb.
Oh, actually I think it is to keep aphids away from rose bushes. But wouldn't that go for all plants?

In any case, I've just heard banana peels are great fertilizer for plants. :rolleyes: My plan was to come in here with something brilliant.

Risker
Jul 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I've decided to spray everything in the garden with garlic water... hopefully that'll make them go.

Risker
Jul 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
My garden stinks.

Limey
Jul 17th, 2006, 05:02 PM
hahahaha, poor thing.

Hopefully it all works out though and the stink will be well worth it. Although is stink ever well worth it? :rolleyes:

paulvegan
Jul 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM
looking at the baby sparrows,starlings and gulls ,eating fruit off the ground chirping away(the birds not the fruit chirping) its so sweet and loverly.

cedarblue
Jul 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM
either i have created a new hybrid plant and will soon be a millionaire and a big name in the horticultural world or something is strangely weird.

my potato plants seem to be growing tomato-like fruit, green with seeds in the middle.

anyone have the same thing or have any ideas?? :confused:

paulvegan
Jul 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM
i have heard of it before, idont know if its good or bad, mmmm arnt spuds and toms from the same family, it sounds like they are going to seed , have you been watering them, (i know sounds stupid but !!). try looking on a gardning web site. hope they turn out well

Cherry
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, potatoes, tomatoes and tobacco as well are from the same family.

potato fruits (http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2004/7-2-2004/tomatopotato.html)

paulvegan
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:39 PM
i was going to grow tobacco a few years ago.
starlings hoping around the garden, and chill's starting to form.

terrace max
Jul 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM
my potato plants seem to be growing tomato-like fruit, green with seeds in the middle.

Don't Eat It!!

It's the potato equivalent of a tomato fruit - but very poisonous. Tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines are all in the deadly nightshade family....

I nip all flowers off my potato plants just to avoid these fruits forming and one of my children eating them. It's supposedly a good idea anyhow - so the plant focusses its energies on developing (the edible) tubers.

cedarblue
Jul 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
thanks everyone and thanks terrace max! thats good advice for the future about nipping out the flowers.

dont worry we wont eat them.....:D

maya
Jul 26th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Well I am starting a garden tonight. I am gonna start with tomatoes, basil, and jalapenos. Though I am afraid that the ducks will muck with my plants. And the other night I saw a possum in my backyard so I fear my plants have no chance.:( :( :(

my3labs
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Today I picked lettuce and carrots. My tomatoes look really good and so do the green beans.
Does anyone know how to harvest black beans? I have them growing and they're pretty big but I'm not sure when to pick them. I picked one the other day and opened it up but the beans were still green.

paulvegan
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:55 AM
chilli plants doing grand.

alexia
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hey, I don't know if anyone's broached this subject before but there are so many pages to read through! My mum uses slug pellets in the garden and I want her to use a more slug, animal and environmentally friendly method. Any ideas? Thanks x

Cherry
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I know they don't like gravelly things/broken pots etc.. it makes it much harder for them to move.

more tips here (http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/pests/slugs/index.html) - apart from the beer trap method and the encouraging predators method, they're all fairly vegan friendly.

Risker
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, I don't know if anyone's broached this subject before but there are so many pages to read through! My mum uses slug pellets in the garden and I want her to use a more slug, animal and environmentally friendly method. Any ideas? Thanks x

Garlic, either plant some nearby or crush some garlic cloves into some cooking oil, leave it overnight to infuse and then mix it with water to make garlic water and cover everything in that.

Garlic repels most garden monsters.

veganblue
Aug 12th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know how to harvest black beans? I have them growing and they're pretty big but I'm not sure when to pick them. I picked one the other day and opened it up but the beans were still green.

Are they to be eaten fresh or for dry storage? There is a good range of opinions here (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0711584829087.html?7) Which hopefully will help.

The bit about harvesting them when leathery is good because it contributes to getting the bean plant to keep fruiting.

I only had enough to keep for sowing again this year! I will try picking more this time. :)

veganblue
Aug 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I made.....Compost on the weekend!! It's one of my favorite things to do when clearning up the garden for planting. I have included some pictures of the process. :)
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/veganblue/The_bin-1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/veganblue/Inside-1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/veganblue/Filling-1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/veganblue/Full.jpg
It's generating heat and already reduced to about half the height a few days later.

cedarblue
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
harvested some yellow courgettes/zucchini, tomatoes, basil and spinach for pasta supper tonight.

picked some apples from the tree and made tarte tatin for dessert :)

looking good veganblue, compost is coming along too ;)

kelly
Aug 13th, 2006, 10:40 AM
im growning carrots, auberguine,runner beans, punpkins, butternut squash, spinage,peppers and tomatoes

cedarblue
Aug 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM
today i harvested potatoes, spinach and carrots for sunday roast dinner - yum!!

who knows anything about jerusalem artichokes and when they are ready to eat :confused:

paulvegan
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
jerusalem artichokes, ready fo lifting around about october, (if planted feb/march) the top growth begins to go brown.
cut down to ground level, about 12 inches from the ground.

i can taste the roast from here, Mmmm:D

cedarblue
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
perhaps i should have pinched out the tops of the stalks, they are taller than i am and looking a bit triffid like.

veganbikerboy
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
today i harvested potatoes, spinach and carrots for sunday roast dinner - yum!!

who knows anything about jerusalem artichokes and when they are ready to eat :confused:

apparantley you let the greenery die back then did them up. you shouldn't harvest in their first year.

from then on you harvest about half and leave the other half to regenerate for next season