PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Market

Plunder Bunnie
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Hey guys!

Im thinking about starting a vegan table at my local farmers market. It would be all baked goods, vegan cookies, brownies, cup cakes, muffins, granola bars, etc. I was wondering, firstly, if i could promote this as cholesterol free. Ive heard some people saying only animal products contain colesterol, but im not sure if i should trust broad statements like that.
Second, has anyone done this before? Im nt quite sure how the farmers markets work, i know the principals, but not if i can just stroll in and ask for a table next week, etc. Any advice would be awesome!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Only animal products contain cholesterol. I am in the US so I don't know if much of this applies to you but when I have done this kind of thing, I had to supply proof of a business license, proof of commercial kitchen clearance, proof of food handler's card certification and so on. I promoted the goods as being 100% organic, high-fiber, whole grain, zero cholesterol, no refined sugars and pure vegetarian. A percentage of my sales went to the manager of the event.

Jane M
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I think all farmer's markets have different rules. You may need to contact someone involved with organizing yours. Here the rules are you sign up and then you can place your table where ever there is room. Though it comes with a serious warning about seniority and who has been using what space the longest (serious competition among those setting up).

Your idea is wonderful! I hope the best for you! Keep us all posted on how it goes, ok?

Plunder Bunnie
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! Ill have to go talk to the person who runs it next saturday, to see exactly what i need. I know a few women who bake pies for ie out of their homes, and make quite a bit of money. I actually am not interested in making an money. I want to raise awareness about veganism, since many people around here dont seem to even know what it is. I also decided id have plamplets of some sort printed out, incase anyone was curious, and maybe slip them into peoples bags when they buy goods.
I was also thinking about taking sall the profits and donating them. Im not quite sure yet, but i know the SPCA is a no kill here, but they often have to turn away people with kittens etc, because they are HORRIBLY under funded and have no room. I was thinking about donating to the woman that runs it here.

Jane M
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
What a wonderful way to educate others! Sell them something good tasting that's good for them and introduce them to veganism...that a girl! :D

Tigerlily
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Where are you in Nova Soctia? I'm in PEI, so next time I pop over, I might stop in and see your stand if it's on my way to Halifax. :)

Plunder Bunnie
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
:p That would be awesome tigerlilly!! Ill give ya some free cookies!! :D
P.s. Im in Antigonish!

One of my friends is now vegan, so shell help me out. Another non veggie friend makes awesoem jewlery, so i might ask her if she wants in. she was veggie before, and is thinking about going back, she just needs some enocuragement!

Tigerlily
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Ooh Antigonish. :D

medus
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:27 PM
What a nice idea :)
When I lived in London, I used to buy organic vegan muffins, cakes or salads in the market. And I just loved fresh organic juices :) yum...
Good luck!

Plunder Bunnie
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Ooh Antigonish. :D

Have ya been? Not much to see tho :D

Plunder Bunnie
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks Medus!

Hey, i should also add, if anyone has some yummy vegan recipe they dont mind sharing, go ahead!! :D:D:D