View Full Version : McDonald's French Fries

Pages : [1] 2

essence_uk
Jul 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
By Chidanand Rajghatta
Times News Network
Tuesday, July 12, 2005

WASHINGTON: Several Hindu and vegetarian groups in the
United States had a happy surprise in the mail last week.

Healthy cheques for sums ranging from $50,000 to $1.4
million - part of the $10 million court-ordered
settlement in the case involving their beef against
McDonald's.

Some four years after Seattle-based Indian-American
lawyer Harish Bharti sued the fast food giant for
misleading customers by claiming their French fries were
vegetarian, McDonald's mailed out the cheques, in
addition to the apology it issued in March 2002.

The money, McDonald's said, will go "to Hindu, vegetarian
and other groups whose charitable and educational
activities are closely linked to the concerns of these
consumers (having dietary restrictions)."

Among the groups that benefited from the class-action
bonanza are International/American Gita Society, which
got $50,000; Hinduism Today Endowment, $250,000;
Supporting Excellence in Education, $900,000; Council of
Hindu Temples of North America $200,000; SSV Temple,
$50,000; and Hindu Students Council, $500,000.

Vegetarian groups that were awarded include Vegetarian
Resource Group ($1.4 milion), ADAF Vegetarian Nutrition
Dietetic Practice Group ($600,000), Preventive Medicine
Research Institute ($550,000), North American Vegetarian
Society ($1 million) Vegetarian Vision, Inc.,($250,000);
and American Vegan Society, $500,000.

They are among the 24 groups selected to receive
compensation from over 250 groups that were initially
considered under the terms of the settlement.

Also among the beneficiaries were Jewish, Muslim and Sikh
groups which joined the lawsuit claiming that the fries
were not kosher/halal etc.

"It was quite a surprise," said Paramacharya Palaniswami
of the Hindu Monastery in Kaui, Hawaii, which received a
check for $ 254,773.19 drawn on Chicago's Banco Popular.
"I guess we will be inspired to do more things for
vegetarianism."

As a first step, the monastery plans to place the amount
in an endowment for publication of its Hinduism Today
magazine.

None of the principle will be touched, so that it will be
a perpetual source for funding outright 1,000 or more
free subscriptions a year forever, or subsidize a larger
number, the Paramacharya told TNN in an interview from
Hawaii.

He also said the "the supersized endowment will educate
Americans, especially youth, about the merits of a veggie
lifestyle, which has been a Hindu ideal for 6,000 years."

The victorious groups have however asked customers to
take note of the fact that McDonald's made no changes in
their fries, which still have beef-flavoring.

Under the terms of the settlement, McDonald's is only
required to make a better disclosure, not change the way
its fries are made.

"Sure, the oil is vegetable. But make no mistake about
it. There is meat in those luscious Golden Arches french
fries," Paramacharya Palaniswami said.

Attorney Harish Bharti did not return calls seeking
comment.

adam antichrist
Jul 18th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate Mackas the mostes, because I was utterly addicted to their food, even for years after going evgo I would get a cheeseburger sans meat and load it with chips and gorge mate, gorge.

Even years before I was vego, I hated my addiction to this product, as they are pure evil and I knew then but was not able to fight walking through the door until I went vegan.

Now I only go in there to shit, and I don't flush!

Roxy
Jul 20th, 2005, 07:14 PM
When I first went vegan, I was okay with eating a McDonalds veggie burger - but after reading and researching more about McDonalds - I decided that I didn't want to give that company ANY of my money for ANY product.

I haven't been there in well over a year and my boyfriend also, who used to eat McDonalds for breakfast once a week.

Once a week at his work, someone does a McDonalds breakfast run. He politely declines and puts up with the teasing. As they are tucking into their sausage and egg mcmuffins, he is gobbling down his organic cereal with soy milk :D

Alpha Jerk
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I don't eat there, but in case YOU do, here's an article I just found:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060213/ap_on_he_me/mcdonald_s_fries

Yoggy
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:29 AM
McDonalds has a director of global nutrition??? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!

alekolu
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Ugh. First beef, now milk and wheat. Why can't they just use plain old vegetable oil? Better question, why do people continue to eat there when practices like this continue to be unveiled? They probably put heroin in those fries, too, to ensure that people keep coming back. :rolleyes:

Yoggy
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:56 AM
They think their fries taste so good because of the beef flavouring and dairy derivatives, so they don't want to change the "formula". But consider New York Fries, they're WAY better than McD's could ever be, and they use only pure sunflower oil.

FR
Feb 14th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Even if they had vegan stuff there, I would never step foot in that place.

Seaside
Feb 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Except to use the toilet! ;)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Except to use the toilet! ;)
Yeah, and a pile of vegan $*** is likely more wholesome than anything they offer :eek:

snaffler
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:23 AM
The closest I have ever got to Mcdonalds is a stones throw away :D

Risker
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:32 AM
McDonalds has a director of global nutrition??? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!

Of course, haven't you met Ronald?

Geoff
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Dear Weekly Alibi,
As the original Ronald McDonald, I'm glad PETA is taking the Golden Arches to task [Editorial, Sept. 23-29]. It's high time that someone pointed out that McDonald's, for all its money and influence, doesn't do a thing to help improve the miserable lives of the animals raised for its burgers and nuggets.
For years now I've considered my stint as Ronald McDonald to be the nutritional equivalent of the Marlboro Man: hawking products that put people in intensive care with fatal diseases like cancer, heart disease, and stroke. As Ronald McDonald, I actually told children that hamburgers grow in vegetable patches, instead of letting them know the truth -- that animals are crowded into tiny cages where they can barely turn around, subjected to painful procedures like debeaking and castration without anesthesia, and get a brief glimpse of daylight only when they are being trucked to their deaths.
I deeply regret ever letting McDonald's use me to encourage kids to eat animals; I'm proud to say that today I'm a vegetarian doing everything I can to urge McDonald's to stop turning a blind eye to animal suffering. Sincerely,
Geoffrey Juliano
Lockport, N.Y

Jane M
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
McDonalds repeatedly show disregard for others beliefs and dietary needs. What do they mean by not containing milk and wheat only a derivative of milk and dairy? Is there really a difference?

Pilaf
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Even if they had a vegan option, I would not give my money to an unethical company who throws edible food in the dumpster if it sits more than fifteen minutes.

aubergine
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Edible food?

McDonalds?

gertvegan
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Vegan Claims She Was Misled About French Fries' Ingredients

Woman Files Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

February 16, 2006, www.nbc4.tv (http://www.nbc4.tv/news/7133974/detail.html)

LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles woman filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against McDonald's for allegedly misleading consumers into believing its French fries were wheat- and dairy-free, court papers showed Thursday.

Nadia Sugich identifies herself in her Los Angeles Superior Court lawsuit as a vegan since 1994 who "is opposed to eating any meat, fish, or dairy products or by-products."

On Monday, McDonald's Corp. acknowledged that wheat and dairy ingredients are used to flavor its French fries. Until recently, the company had said its fries were free of gluten and milk or wheat allergens.

In court papers filed Wednesday, Sugich claims she "would have never purchased or consumed the French fries if she had known they contain dairy and were not vegan."

A representative for McDonald's was not immediately available to comment on Sugich's lawsuit.

According to the complaint, Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's operates more than 350 restaurants in California.

The suit, which alleges fraudulent and unfair business practices, was filed on behalf of California consumers who have eaten McDonald's fries in the past four years and are concerned about the consumption of dairy or wheat products for health, moral or philosophical reasons.

Among her requests of the court, Sugich is asking that the class be reimbursed for their French fry purchases.

tabitha
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM
In a bit of a rush so I havent read all of this thread, so apologies if this has already been said., but up til about 1999 McDonalds fries were fried in beef tallow to give them that extra "yummy" flavour! gag!!!

Pob
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:36 PM
McDonalds UK website still maintains that fries in the UK are cooked in 100% vegetable oil. Only other additive is the fries are dipped in sugar solution when the potatoes are naturally low in sugar. US ones are still listed as having beef flavouring

Pob
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Reading through the US MacDonalds ingredients list, I noticed they use bleached white flour in the buns and some other things. I thought bleached flours went out years ago - in the UK, everything seems to specify unbleached flour:confused:

Barley
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
The closest I have ever got to Mcdonalds is a stones throw away :D

:) :)

rantipole
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I like to stop in and use the toilet. That way I feel like I'm actually taking the money back from them that I gave them in my foolish youth. Rat bastards!

Cheers,
rant

Kiran
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM
They can put those warm, salty, fatty, stinky, beefy fries up their A$$.

Kiran
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I like to stop in and use the toilet. That way I feel like I'm actually taking the money back from them that I gave them in my foolish youth. Rat bastards!

I use their toilet always. It saves me 20 pence when I want to use a public toilet.

But everytime I use their toilet, I accidentally flush it. DAMN!!!! Must be reflex. Next time I am gonna stuff myself with jacket potatoes, baked beans, tofu, peanuts and hold myself for 4 hours. Then I am gonna rush to Mc.Dick-onalds and take a dump and NO FLUSHING!!! I swear.

insubordination
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I've lived fairly near a McDonald's for a few years. I can't describe the hideous smell of melting pig fat as I walk past in the morning. People want that for breakfast - they're paying for it. I always feel very sad at the suffering. I haven't set foot inside that McDonald's for years but I wouldn't judge anyone who did. I believe they have a few vegan items now.

I agree that when overseas, it's find to use McDonald's for a McShit (not my teminology). It's often the only place to find a toilet.