View Full Version : Hemp seeds / seed oil

Pages : 1 [2] 3

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Smoothies and salads :)

thecatspajamas1
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Can you grow the seeds?

(hemp seeds are high in omega-3's, I think)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
You may get into a lot of trouble trying to grow hemp :eek: Hemp is very healthy, high in omega 3's, rich in fiber and protein.

ukahela
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I've read the contrary, that though hemp may have omega 3, its ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is NOT particularly good, so it actually is not a good source of omega 3. linseeds/oil would be the best veg source.

Pilaf
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:35 PM
*sigh* Isn't that the same thing as weed? :(

Gorilla
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
i don't think cannabis can be grown from edible hemp seeds.

Tigerlily
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
*sigh* Isn't that the same thing as weed? :(

Nope. They are sold freely in stores and you cannot sprout these seeds. You cannot even get high of the seeds either.

gertvegan
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Theres some info about 'Benefits of Hemp Seed and its Oil' here. (http://www.yaoh.co.uk/health-issues1.html) Maybe more in the next Vegan Guide to Bristol. :)

thecatspajamas1
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM
If they were growable for marijuana use, you could definitely not buy it in the store. But since it's kind of a different plant (or strain), I thought it could be grown for eating.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I've read the contrary, that though hemp may have omega 3, its ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is NOT particularly good, so it actually is not a good source of omega 3. linseeds/oil would be the best veg source.
Tomato, to-mahto, potato, po-tah-to...
I never said the 3/6 ratio was perfect or the best :D Lots of experts say so though!

Is there a better source of omega 3's? SURE I've discussed this until I became BLUE in the face and stiff in the fingers! Would we be doing more for the planet, our health and the animals if we all became raw foodists/high-raw eaters? SURE!

To each her own ;)

null_void
Jan 17th, 2006, 01:41 AM
If they were growable for marijuana use, you could definitely not buy it in the store. But since it's kind of a different plant (or strain), I thought it could be grown for eating.

Yep. The look you get when you walk up to the service counter of a grocery store and ask for them is priceless, though.

grail
Jan 17th, 2006, 02:02 AM
What about chia seeds? I heard they had an optimal 6-3 ratio - but I could be wrong. I am curious how hemp compares with chia though, because I've never tried hemp.

All I know is that that cool mucilaginous thing chia seeds do in water is what's been keeping me going between meals the past few days - they are wonderful!

ukahela
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I never said the 3/6 ratio was perfect or the best :D Lots of experts say so though!

Is there a better source of omega 3's? SURE I've discussed this until I became BLUE in the face and stiff in the fingers! Would we be doing more for the planet, our health and the animals if we all became raw foodists/high-raw eaters? SURE!

To each her own ;)

Yes, to each her own, but sometimes one's own changes with what new things one learns or tries out... The problem with things that have a unfavourable ratio of omega6/omega3 would be that no matter how much you eat of them, you can't in any way get enough omega3, as it wouldn't be properly utilised by the body in the presence of so much omega6.

btw, i don't think we'd do either ourselves or the planet (or the animals) any particularly favour by eating exclusively raw. but that's another chapter.. :)

mew_76
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Do you lot get your Hemp seeds with shells on? Do you use them like linseed? You can get shelled Hemp seeds but they are extortionately expensive and the only ones Ive seen are Dr Gillian McKeiths own brand.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
btw, i don't think we'd do either ourselves or the planet (or the animals) any particularly favour by eating exclusively raw. but that's another chapter.. :)

I didn't say exclusively ;)

Gorilla
Jan 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
What about chia seeds? I heard they had an optimal 6-3 ratio - but I could be wrong. I am curious how hemp compares with chia though, because I've never tried hemp.

All I know is that that cool mucilaginous thing chia seeds do in water is what's been keeping me going between meals the past few days - they are wonderful!
i've never heard of chia seeds. what are they? where do you get them from?

Tigerlily
Jan 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Aren't chia seeds the same seeds made to make Chia pets? :D

http://www.as-seen-on-tv-now.com/lawn-and-garden-store/chiapig.jpg

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Why yes, Tigerlily, yes they are :D

Gorilla
Jan 17th, 2006, 02:50 PM
i'm still none the wiser! :eek: ;)

grail
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
"The seeds also contain some omega-6 essential fatty acids and exhibit a favorable omega-3 to omega-6 ratio of 3:2."
http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/chia.html

http://www.newstarget.com/015405.html
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20nN.html

Also a good source of calcium. If you put them in water, they swell up and make this funky gel. I've been drinking 8 oz of the gel (about 1tbsp seeds) between meals to combat the munchies. I have a desk job and I have to keep munching on things to help during the day, or I go crazy.

They seem to have some benefits for diabetics (the gel slows absorption of sugars) and I am trying to get my type-2 diabetic mom to try some. Google "chia diabetes" and you'll see some interesting stuff.

I buy mine at the local food co-op - in with the sprouting goodies, like broccoli and alfalfa seeds. A little bit goes a long way, I think it will take me 6 months to a year to use up a pound of them for about 18 dollars.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yes, to each her own, but sometimes one's own changes with what new things one learns or tries out

Please do share links that support your statement that hemp has an unfavorable omega 3/6 ratio as there are plenty available that state the opposite. I would be very interested to see any new findings in this area. Either way, hemp is rich in vital nutrients and a great food for vegans and non-vegans alike and I encourage vegans to eat it regularly.

http://www.motherhemp.com/nutrition.html

Why Choose Hemp Food Products for Health?
Hemp oil is a rich source of Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) - Omega 6 linoleic , Omega 3 alpha linolenic and Gamma Linolenic acid (GLA) that are important for optimum health in the body. EFAs cannot be produced by the body itself and are vital for the structure and functions of tissues in the body.
Essential fatty acids can also be obtained from eating hemp seeds, which are also a rich source (approx. 25%) of high quality protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids.
Omega 3, 6 and GLA in hemp oil are present in a biochemically optimal ratio.

http://www.iriehemp.co.za/

HEMP SEED OIL
Nature’s Perfect Food?

Hemp Seed Oil is Nature's single richest source of Essential Fatty Aids (EFAs), nutrients essential to health and vitality that the human body cannot produce on its own.

World-renowned nutritional expert Dr Udo Erasmus, in his book Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, says no other single plant source can compare with the nutritional value of Hemp. “Both the complete protein and the essential oils contained in Hemp seed are in ideal ratios for human nutrition,” says Erasmus.

Get all the Omegas in one oil

There are two groups of Essential Fatty Acids (click here for more info):

Omega-3 - Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA)

Omega-6 - Linoleic Acid (LA) and Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA)

Nature’s richest source of omega-3 is flax oil and Safflower oil is our richest source of omega-6. But only Hemp Seed Oil contains all the omega-3s and -6 EFAs (including GLA).

This EFA combination in Hemp Seed Oil is unique among edible oil seeds.

Eminent nutritionist Patrick Holford, in his book The Optimum Nutrition Bible, sums up the benefit of Hemp: “It is the only common seed oil that meets all known essential fatty acid needs.”

EFAs in the perfect combination

In addition to being the single richest plant source of all EFAs, Hemp Seed Oil combines them in the best possible ratio for the human body. As a result it has been described as Nature’s most perfectly balanced oil.

Says Patrick Holford: “Research shows we need to take in twice as much Omega 6 as Omega 3 -- and the best source in this respect is Hemp Seed Oil.”

The optimum ratio of EFAs for human consumption is 3:1 (omega-6 to omega-3) and Hemp Seed Oil is the only oil to deliver this ratio: 19% omega-3 and 59% omega-6. Dr Udo Erasmus says this is the ideal long-term ratio for the human body.

http://www.ratical.org/renewables/TherapHoil.html

Andrew Weil, MD

Hemp seeds contain 25% high quality protein and 40% fat in the form of an excellent quality oil. Hemp oil is just now coming on the market. It has a remarkable fatty acid profile, being high in the desirable omega-3s and also delivering some GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) that is absent from the fats we normally eat. Nutritionally oriented doctors believe all of these compounds to be beneficial to health.

Hemp oil contains 57% linoleic (LA) and 19% linolenic (LNA) acids, in the three-to-one ratio that matches our nutritional needs. These are the essential fatty acids (EFAs)-so called because the body cannot make them and must get them from external sources. The best sources are oils from freshly ground grains and whole seeds, but EFAs are fragile and quickly lost in processing.

Adding these foods to the diet seems to lower risks of heart attacks because omega-3 fatty acids reduce the clotting tendency of the blood and improve cholesterol profiles. They also have a natural anti-inflammatory effect that makes them useful for people with arthritis and autoimmune disorders.

Litsea
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:07 PM
"Chia" is Maya for strength or strengthening. You can find loads of information on it here. (http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html)

thecatspajamas1
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Do hemp seeds need to be ground down the way flaxseeds do- in order to digest them?

ukahela
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I didn't say exclusively ;)

ok, my misunderstanding, sorry.. =/

reg. hemp seeds and omega 6, something i read the other day, been trying to find the article but i can't see to find it.. it was on omega3s and ve*gans, they suggested flax seed may be th ebest veg source and hemp not as good as sometimes claimed.

but anyway, if there are nutrient analyses out there that show hemp's good, then it might well be, of course :). i had a bottle of hemp oil some time ago, according to the label it wasn't all that good in terms of o3, so what the authors of this article said just seemed to fit with my idea - maybe i jumped a little to quickly to accepting what they said..!

applecrumble
Apr 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yes, I eat some ground up hemp seeds every day.