PDA

View Full Version : Hemp seeds / seed oil

Pages : [1] 2 3

gertvegan
Aug 12th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Hemp seed oil is extracted from raw hemp seed and contains a fully balanced spectrum of essential fatty acids. When processed and stored correctly, the beneficial properties of the oil can be readily absorbed by the skin.

Hemp seed oil is noted for these benefits:

Superb moisturiser, natural anti-inflammatory
Rare source of gamma-linoleic acid
Protects from UV radiation and pollution
Assists healing, soothes acne
Prevents and repairs hair damage
Treats eczema and psoriasis
Rich in anti-oxidants

This is from www.yaoh.co.uk (http://www.yaoh.co.uk)

Is hemp seed oil a super food or what ?

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 12th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Hemp seed oil is AMAZING! It is one of the "must-haves" for vegans, especially. Hemp seed, flax seed, extra virgin coconut oil...all have been proven as "Superfoods" and we consume them as often as possible in my family. (unheated, naturally)

8 winks
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:31 AM
sounds good. how do u use it though? can i cook with it like i do olive oil? is it good on salad? any menu ideas would be so appreciated cause i'm going shopping tomorrow and now i really wanna try this "new to me" food.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Please, never heat these delicate oils ! Heating causes them to become rancid and creates free-radicals in your system!
(It's best to never heat ANY oil, but especially flax and hemp, evening primrose, rice bran and other such delicate oils)

It is good as a raw salad dressing or in smoothies etc.

8 winks
Aug 13th, 2004, 02:55 AM
thanks. that's good to know about not heating it.
:)

gertvegan
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:45 PM
More info on the "Benefits of Hemp Seed and its Oil" is on the YAOH (http://www.yaoh.co.uk/health-issues1.html) website. :)

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I have been bathing in Hemp Oil for about a week now, and it is amazing!!! :)

I actually bought it by mistake (a £9 mistake, ouch!!), when I really wanted Flax Oil to take each day for my Omega 3s. Then I didn't use it up in time (it's fresh and needs to be used within 6 weeks), so I decided to put it in my baths with a little essential oils for a nice aroma! :p

Well, my skin is GLOWING, the spots I had are gone (I always get spots when I am stressed, as I have been), and I feel fantastic!!!!!! :D

I will buy it again, for my skin, and the oil gets into body through your skin, so it will make me well inside, too! ;)

Kim[ba]
Feb 10th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Ingesting legal hemp seed oil may cause an individual to test positive for THC metabolites on a standard urine drug screen, according to three separate reports published in The Journal of Analytical Toxicology.

http://www.cleartest.com/testinfo/hemp_products.htm

I baught some hemp seed oil tonight, but I most likely have a drug test coming up soon. This is pretty bad. This makes hemp oil a negative for everyone on probation, or looking for a job. It could even cause some of us to loose our job if we were "randomly" tested.

Jobey
Feb 10th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I have been bathing in Hemp Oil for about a week now, and it is amazing!!! :)

You must be rich, how many bottles does it take to fill? ;) ;)

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:05 AM
He-he, I don't bathe JUST in Hemp Oil, I add some TO the bath!! You don't need much to do the job, it's strong! :)

Gorilla
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM
thanks for the tip about putting it in the bath PFC, that might help my skin as it's been really sore recently. i bought a bottle to start using it as my omega oil source, but i don't like the taste very much. it's ok on salad and pasta but it makes them so greasy and i don't like greasy food. it's so rich i find it difficult to eat the recommended amount every day. perhaps i'll get used to it.

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Worth a try, Gorilla, it's made a real difference to me!

foxytina_69
Jun 16th, 2005, 07:06 PM
heres a couple links i found about hemp oil. its apparently much better for you than flax because of the 3:1 ratio. apparently flax over time can actually cause problems for you. im excited to go on this oil.

http://www.motherhemp.com/nutrition.html

http://www.innvista.com/health/hemp/hempoil.htm

foxytina_69
Jun 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM
cc, i was in the healthfood store yesterday and saw that they had virgin coconut oil. is extra virgin coconut oil different? are they both good to take or is extra virgin better?

foxytina_69
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:54 PM
here are some recipes for hemp products:

http://manitobaharvest.com/recipes/

kokopelli
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:12 PM
It's worth mentioning that hemp seeds don't just contain the perfect balance of omega fatty acids for human health, they also contain perfect protein, so it's good to eat the whole seeds and not only the oil, although hulled seeds would be ideal because the seed cases are hard, but so far I haven't found a source of them in the UK. You can make hempseed milk by grinding the seeds in a blender, 1 cup seeds and 3 cups water (wash the seeds first), then strain through a fine-meshed cloth. Nice cold, or gently heated with spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom etc) and sugar to taste, to make hemp milk bhang.

Gorilla, did you try different brands of hemp oil?
I really didn't like the taste of 'Mother Hemp' (fishy tasting), but 'Elmer's' is delicious (nutty), I love it on grated carrots, shredded lettuce and baked potatoes. Today I had some with strawberries and yogurt and it was lovely. I didn't really find it greasy, because it's a much lighter oil than others eg olive.

We had some 'Mother Hemp' oil we didn't use because of the taste, and my partner rubbed it into his hands every day when they were all rough and chapped after working outside in winter, and it soon healed them...so you could try rubbing it in to sore skin, as well as adding it to the bath.

kokopelli
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:18 PM
']http://www.cleartest.com/testinfo/hemp_products.htm

I baught some hemp seed oil tonight, but I most likely have a drug test coming up soon. This is pretty bad. This makes hemp oil a negative for everyone on probation, or looking for a job. It could even cause some of us to loose our job if we were "randomly" tested.

This urine testing thing is unbelievable! I just don't know how they can get away with such a blatant infringement of civil liberties. It's literally taking the piss!

What happens if you refuse to give them a sample? Will they accept that people have the right to eat healthy food without worrying about losing their jobs? Will they accept the explanation that hemp oil can cause a positive result?

Kevster
Jun 25th, 2005, 08:10 PM
The 'toxicity' of hemp products legally on sale in the UK is extremely low, i don't have any facts or figures but i would say it would have to be an extremely sensitive test to pick it up. I suppose someone may consider it to be the remnants of drug taking?

Anyhow, hemp seeds (hulled and dehulled) are available from Yaoh.

foxytina_69
Jun 26th, 2005, 03:58 AM
does anyone know how long it takes for the effects of hemp oil to kick in?

kokopelli
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
The 'toxicity' of hemp products legally on sale in the UK is extremely low, i don't have any facts or figures but i would say it would have to be an extremely sensitive test to pick it up. I suppose someone may consider it to be the remnants of drug taking?

Anyhow, hemp seeds (hulled and dehulled) are available from Yaoh.

Thanks for that info, Kevster :)

Anyway, THC, the cannabinoid they look for in urine tests, isn't toxic at all, actually it protects the brain from exposure to neurotoxins and cannabinoids are more powerful antioxidants than vitamins C or E. They are also very effective anti-inflammatory agents.

Here's an article from the Journal of Neuroscience about the neuroprotective effect of THC (vivisection involved):

THC Neuroprotection (http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/21/17/6475)

And here's another study, from the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, about the protective anti-oxidant effect of cannabinoids. In this experiment, lymphoblastoid cells were deprived of serum, which normally kills them within 2 days, but THC prevented cell death in a serum-free medium, due to its antioxidant effect.

Cannabinoids Antioxidant (http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/21/17/6475)

kokopelli
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I'm considering trying hemp seed oil on salads to alleviate my joint problems. Although the bath idea sounds easier!

Mozbee, eating hemp oil would definitely be better for your joint problems.

Actually, cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid abundant in low-THC 'industrial hemp' has been shown to be protective against arthritic damage to joints, in this experiment (vivisection involved):

Cannabidiol Anti-Arthritic (http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/97/17/9561)

Here's what it says about hemp oil for rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases in 'Cannabis and Cannabinoids: Pharmacology, Toxicology and Therapeutic Potential' by Russo and Grotenhermen:

GLA and its related prostaglandins have anti-inflammatory and immune system-stimulating properties. Daily oral administration of 1.2-1.4 grams of GLA over a period of twelve to twenty-four weeks was found to reduce the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis significantly without causing side-effects.

Other ailments it's good for:

Atopic Eczema (Neurodermatitis) and Psoriasis
Acne
Cardiovascular Disease
Osteoporosis
PMS and Menopause

The book also says that although there's no direct evidence of the benefits of hemp oil in treating the following diseases, benefits may be expected from the moderate quantities of GLA and comparatively high level of ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), because a deficiency of this fatty acid in the diet of many people in industrialised countries is now increasingly implicated in the genesis of several of these illnesses. The use of hemp oil as a dietary oil, rather than a nutritional supplement, improves ALA supply and will aid in their prevention:

MS
Diabetes
Cancer (GLA has been shown to selectively destroy cancer cells, and slow progress of common cancers)
Depression
Attention Deficit Disorder
Schizophrenic Psychosis

Hemp is indeed a wonder plant :D

Seaside
Jun 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM
It's worth mentioning that hemp seeds don't just contain the perfect balance of omega fatty acids for human health, they also contain perfect protein, so it's good to eat the whole seeds and not only the oil, although hulled seeds would be ideal because the seed cases are hard, but so far I haven't found a source of them in the UK. You can make hempseed milk by grinding the seeds in a blender, 1 cup seeds and 3 cups water (wash the seeds first), then strain through a fine-meshed cloth. Nice cold, or gently heated with spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom etc) and sugar to taste, to make hemp milk bhang.
I never knew there were so many good things about hemp seeds and hemp oil. We can get raw hemp seed butter and raw hulled hemp seeds, beside the oil. Unhulled seeds are not available because they are illegal.

strawberry
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering b/c Im going back to school I know Im going to be stressed out to the max. I drink a few cups of tea a day and was wondering if a certain oil (I read about hemp recently) had a de-stress effect that I can add to my tea before bed to rest my mind, increase my health benefits, and that somewhat tastes good. Any advice would be great! Thanks:)

Yogini
Nov 24th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I finally found some hempseed oil. While it's not the nummiest thing in the world, it's way better-tasting than flaxseed oil. The flavor is actually a bit reminiscent of roasted peanut, which is really interesting since the oil is raw. And the price is about the same as flaxseed oil. I hope my store continues to carry it (I had to put in a special request to get it.)

Love,
Anna

cedarblue
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:54 PM
So - i've bought a small packet of hemp seeds and dont know what to do with them. i dont have a coffee grinder or anything, so...

any ideas on how to use them in recipes?? :confused: