PDA

View Full Version : Great North Run/London Marathon 2007

Poison Ivy
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Alright I know I should probably post this on veganfitness, but to tell you the truth I'm really not keen on it as a forum, so I'm posting it on here instead!:)

I've just received an e-mail about running the 2006 Great North Run, but I believe that the application for balloted places closed on 1 February so this year looks unlikely. Therefore my question is thus.....

Are there any veganforummers who are thinking of entering the 2007 Great North Run (or if you're feeling particularly masochistic;) even the London Marathon 2007??

:)

Ara
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Me and my housemate want to do the marathon next year, but i don't think we're going to be able to get our fitness levels up to standard by then unfortuantly.

Lex
Mar 25th, 2006, 02:28 AM
yeah might be on the cards (gt north run likelier than marathon, of course…)

Stu
Mar 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I have actually just decided the other day, that I want to run in half marathons etc. I run about 5 times a week, for maybe half an hour to 40 minutes. I want to start doing greater distances, and get involved in some of these events.

Also - weirdly - my band might be playing at the London marathon.

But yeah, I'm really keen on running in a half marathon or two, then aiming for a full marathon.

Lex
Mar 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
i'm with you on that, stu. i used to run 3 or 4 times a week for about 4 miles or so a time, but awfully out of training now due to a combination of circumstances that's meant i've hardly been running at all for the last five or six weeks :(

are you thinking of doing the great north run this year, then?

Stu
Mar 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I dunno. I've considered it in the past. Is it too late to apply? I'll have to look into it...

Bunny
Mar 27th, 2006, 08:38 AM
I had a friend who ran the London Marathon a couple of years ago. She had the hardest time getting a place. I thought you just applied and thatwas it, but apparently there are only so many "general" places available. After that the only option is to get enough sponsership to run for a charity. She couldn't run it the first year she wanted to as she couldn't get a place. I seem to remember that she started applying just after the marathon had finished to get a place for the next one.

So anyone who is thinking of it, it may be an idea to start looking into it now for next year!

Personally, I think you're all mad! :D ;)

Lex
Mar 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I do a bit of work for crisis, the charity for homeless people, and i think they probably have some places for the gt north run available still -- i think you need to agree to raise about 300 quid in sponsorship to have one....

GoatBoy
Sep 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM
i've already ran the marathon 3 times and i plan to run it again next year. I will use it as a may of showing that you can still be at a peak of fitness on a vegan diet, perhaps even more.

two questions for you people.

I want to run for a charity, do you have any suggestions for me?

also

Is it ok to take part in an event that endorses a dairy product?

KezUK
Sep 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Vegfam, it's a charity which helps people in the third world countries without exploiting animals. Have a look at their website: http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/vegfam/

Kez