PDA

View Full Version : Poppy seeds

Imapeach
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Was wondering if anybody knows anything about having drugged-like responses from eating a lot of poppy seeds? I've heard that after eating a certain amount people will test positive for opium or morphine...?

The reason I ask is because last night I decided to make this traditional Hungarian family recipe, "Beigli", which is basically a poppy seed cake rolled up like a swiss roll. I made too much of the poppy filling and just munched on the leftovers, so in the end I'd snacked on quite a lot of crushed poppy seeds. And then this morning I woke up feeling incredibly nauseous, like I was hungover, except I was all numb and could barely move. I ended up going back to sleep and sleeping for 13 hours! I'd had no alcohol or done anything suspicious that night... all I could think of was the poppy seeds! Has this ever happened to anyone?? I'm really baffled... Maybe if anyone with experience with opium or morphine wouldn't mind verifying these effects...?

harpy
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I read or heard recently that some country banned imports of poppy seed cakes etc because of fears about their narcotic effects. Can't remember details but I just found this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/drugs/Story/0,,758823,00.html

Maybe you can OD.

cedarblue
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Maybe if anyone with experience with opium or morphine wouldn't mind verifying these effects...?

dont know about that but the scenes of mr depp in 'from hell' in the opium den are pretty intoxicating!!

Tiggerwoo
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:09 AM
At my work we have random drugs and alcohol testing as its a safety critical job. Anyway a while back a guy got found positive for having traces of opium/heroin in his bloodstream. He swore blind he had never touched any of the stuff, but was suspended. He was reinstated when they found out he had gone to the bakers that day and eaten a roll with poppy seeds on!

tabitha
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Wow! I probably eat about a palmful of poppy seeds a day. I will look out for any unusual after effects:)

tabitha
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Actually I eat loads of hemp seeds as well. Im not a junkie without knowing it am I?:(

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Actually I eat loads of hemp seeds as well. Im not a junkie without knowing it am I?:( Hemp seeds contain low concentrations of THC, insufficient to intoxicate.

Tigerlily
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hemp seeds contain low concentrations of THC, insufficient to intoxicate.

My bag of hemp seeds says 0.0% THC (the active ingredient in marijuana that gets people high) and it has some government approval license number too.

Imapeach
Feb 20th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Just like to reiterate that I'm not encouraging anybody to try this as a means of getting high! It really was the most awful nausea... without any of the fun effects!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 20th, 2006, 04:23 AM
My bag of hemp seeds says 0.0% THC (the active ingredient in marijuana that gets people high) and it has some government approval license number too.
Yeah, the laws are a little different in Canada vs the US but most hemp seed still has a minute amount of THC

http://www.industrialhemp.net/

szender
Apr 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
The cracked poppy seeds has NO alkaloids. Only the green, raw seed box has it!
Poppy seeds is the best vegan calcium source. It has complete amino acids too, and a lot of minerals. For exmaple high in iron!
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/poppy-seeds.html
I am hungarian, and ate a lot of pooppy in my life, cause it is a traditional food : )