PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Analysis:How Do YOU Measure UP?

Pages : [1] 2

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:54 AM
I am starting this thread for people to discuss thier basic nutritional needs and how to meet them. There are many online sources such as "Fit Day" that can assess your foods eaten and break down the nutrients into a profile. That being said, many do not contain the foods that vegans commonly eat and many also do not allow you to change the serving sizes etc. so make sure you are logging the actual foods (brands differ!) you eat when keeping track.

This is also a great place to discuss "Proud to Eat Healthy" ideas and balanced vegan meals. Feel free to share, ask questions or locate online resources, providing links to assist us all in being the healthiest we can be!

A healthy vegan is a smart vegan and a smart vegan will eat ensure the best nutrition possible to be all s/he can be! ;)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Let's start with basic daily requirements. The average sized adult who is somewhat sedentary requires between 50-65 grams of usable protein daily. Anyone who is larger or smaller, more active or less active would need less or more accordingly.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Here are some basic *minimum* daily requirements for average, grown adults:

Vitamin A Men: 1000 mcg/Women: 800 mcg
Vitamin D 5 - 10 mcg
Vitamin E Men: 10 mg/Women: 8 mg
Vitamin K Men: 70-80 mcg/Women: 60-65 mcg
Vitamin C Men: 90 mg/Women: 75 mg
Choline Men: 550 mg/Women: 425 mg
Thiamin (B1) Men: 1.2 - 1.5 mg/Women: 1-1.1 mg
Riboflavin (B2) Men: 1.3 mg/Women: 1.1 mg
Niacin (B3) Men: 16 mg/Women: 14 mg
Pantothenic Acid 5 mg
Vitamin B6 1.3 - 1.7 mg
Folic Acid/Folate 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 2.4 mcg
Biotin (30 mcg)
Calcium 1000 - 1200 mg
Chloride (750 mg)
Magnesium Men: 400-420 mg/Women:310-320 mg
Phosphorus 700 mg
Potassium (2000 mg)
Sodium (200 - 500 mg)
Sulfur (100 mg)
Boron (2 - 5 mg)
Chromium 50 - 200 mcg
Cobalt (a few mcg)
Copper 1.5 - 3.0 mg
Iodine 150 mcg
Iron 10 - 15 mg
Manganese 2.5 - 5.0 mg
Molybdenum 75 - 250 mcg
Selenium Men: 70 mcg/Women: 55 mcg
Zinc Men: 15 mg/Women: 12 mg

Wildflower
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM
This is cool CC!

Would you be able to post some "sample menus" for getting the best nutrients?

I know one question I have been meaning to post is, what is the best grainless thing to eat for breakfast or the best thing in general?

I would like to try cutting grains out and see if my skin improves (my mother has skin problems from grains and allthough I didn't think I had this, I seem to have the same symptoms.) Any ideas for a healthy grainless breakfast? I also have problems eating anything sweet in the morning, so it needs to be high protein/high fiber. Sugary things make me very ill in the morning. Fruit is OK, but something else needs to be with it. Also, I tend to burn through everything I eat in the AM and be hungry immediately, so high calorie would be good too.

Also, I am not opposed to eating traditionally non-breakfast items at breakfast time (infact, my fav breakfast is a sandwhich with tea or coffee). I like to have a lot of warm liquids in the morning.

I was thinking maybe tofu scramble with lots of veggies and nutritional yeast?

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Here's an example of a good, nutritious day for the average vegan adult (not pregnant/not extremely active physically) who wants to get most of thier nutrition form whole foods: Keep in mind there is no 'perfect plan' for every body. This is just an outline of what meets many of the basic daily requirements for the most important nutrients often thought to be lacking in a VEGAN diet (B-12, calcium, protein,iron, omega 3's etc.)

1 cup oatmeal (cooked, made with 1 cup enriched soymilk) with 1T. ground flax, 1 T. chopped black walnuts and 1 cup berries mixed in

1 cup calcium-fortified orange juice

6 dried apricot halves with 3 Brazil nuts and 1 cup enriched rice milk, 1 T. cocoa powder and 1 T. agave nectar

2 cups mixed lettuces, 1 cup shredded beets, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 3 T. lemon juice and 1 tsp. tahini with 1 T. nutritional yeast, herbs and spices

1 cup black bean and corn soup (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic)

1 sprouted whole wheat pita, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 4 T. hummus (made with tahini and lemon but no olive oil)

1 cup whole wheat pasta with 1 cup marinara sauce (no oil added), 1/2 cup asparagus, 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup white beans with 1 T. nutritional yeast

1 cup steamed broccoli and 1 cup steamed kale (no oil added, with lemon, herbs, spices, onions and garlic) with 1 T. miso paste, 1 T. nutritional yeast and 1 T. sesame seeds

1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup lentils (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic) and 1/2 cup canned tomatoes with 1 T. nutritional yeast

1 sublingual B-12 tablet

8 glasses of water

Seems like a lot of food when compared to what many eat, doesn't it? It's really not though, in terms of calories/fats!

Wildflower
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks Concious!

It does sounds like a lot, I think I would be OK up to the last part of 1 cup lentils and 1 cup brown rice. I may not have room for that after the pasta. : )

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I know one question I have been meaning to post is, what is the best grainless thing to eat for breakfast or the best thing in general?

Tofu scramble made with LOTS of veggies is a great choice! I like to have beans and stir-fry dishes for my first meal (high fiber/protein). I rarely eat 'breakfast' type foods in the AM. My goal is to start the day with veggies and beans/lentils (tofu or tempeh sometimes) so that I have a good foundation to go on for the rest of the day; It helps me eat better throughout the day as well!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:30 AM
7 AM

1 cup oatmeal (cooked, made with 1 cup enriched soymilk) with 1T. ground flax, 1 T. chopped black walnuts and 1 cup berries mixed in

1 cup calcium-fortified orange juice

10 AM

6 dried apricot halves with 3 Brazil nuts and 1 cup enriched rice milk, 1 T. cocoa powder and 1 T. agave nectar

12 PM

2 cups mixed lettuces, 1 cup shredded beets, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 3 T. lemon juice and 1 tsp. tahini with 1 T. nutritional yeast, herbs and spices

1 cup black bean and corn soup (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic)

3 PM

1 sprouted whole wheat pita, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup mixed sprouts, 4 T. hummus (made with tahini and lemon but no olive oil)

5 PM

1 cup whole wheat pasta with 1 cup marinara sauce (no oil added), 1/2 cup asparagus, 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup white beans with 1 T. nutritional yeast

1 cup steamed broccoli and 1 cup steamed kale (no oil added, with lemon, herbs, spices, onions and garlic) with 1 T. miso paste, 1 T. nutritional yeast and 1 T. sesame seeds

7 PM

1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup lentils (no oil added, with herbs, spices, onions and garlic) and 1/2 cup canned tomatoes with 1 T. nutritional yeast

If you look at it as fueling yourself every few hours it works out nicely ;)

Wildflower
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks!

I LOVE beans, they are so rich and creamy it is hard to imagine they are fat free. One thing I noticed in the past though, was that when monitoring my calories/weight, beans always seemed to make me gain weight. I know they are calorie dense, but I was measuring things out to just 1 serving.

I suppose it was probably something I was consuming with them, like a tortilla or rice...

Tigerlily
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Why no oil added, CC? I started adding oil (flax and olive) and my hair looks healthier and same with my skin. :confused:

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Why no oil added, CC? I started adding oil (flax and olive) and my hair looks healthier and same with my skin. :confused:
That's great! Glad that is working for you :) Here's my reasoning: What I have posted is a basic guideline, just to show how much food needs to be eaten in order to meet minimum daily requirements for vegan nutrition, meeting the basic needs without excess supplmentation and while staying within caloric limits. The nuts, tahini, sesame seeds and ground flax as well as whole grains, beans etc. provide more than ample oils for the day. As it stands, this day already gets more that 10% of its calories from fat. It is not necessary in most cases for average, healthy adults to add oils to thier diets...Eating oils has been shown to cause hormonal disturbances in some, food cravings and weight gain in others and the leading vegan Doctors discourage adding *any* oils to the diet. This day already has a LOT more oils/fats than the leading vegan Doctors suggest :eek:

That being said, I do add oils to foods for flavor, health and balance (children and teens and very athletic people or those who need to gain/maintain weight can benefit from such calorically-dense foods).

Tigerlily
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Oh, that's really interesting! :)

Tigerlily
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM
:) So, CC, I'm 148lbs and 5'2 and a half. I'm not very active at the moment. I used to be 186lbs once a upon a time but lost some weight.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Without knowing exact amounts and your activity level, Tigerlilly, Based on what I see for February 16, I'd say you need "Beans and Greens" :p

Seriously though a few servings each of kale, broccoli, lentils, black beans etc. are all your day needed to round it out nutritionally and perhaps a B-12 and a calcium-magnesium/zinc/D supplement. Good job on getting some iron-rich foods in your day!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:22 PM
:) So, CC, I'm 148lbs and 5'2 and a half. I'm not very active at the moment. I used to be 186lbs once a upon a time but lost some weight.
I bet you are naturally muscular and that your current weight is a good one for you but I have to say weight-bearing exercise is important for bone density and to keep metabolism active and cardiovascular exercise is needed for health ;) I have noticed you eat a healthier diet than many of the teens here!

Tigerlily
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot about the greens. I should eat more. :)

I'm not naturally muscular, I'm naturally curvy though. I am Middle Eastern, and it seems a lot of Middle Eastern women are curvy.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
What do you think holds the curve in place? (Muscle) :) Anyway for someone to look as fit and healthy as you do at your height/weight, there has to be a good deal of muscle mass as a foundation (I am not talking visible, bulging muscles here, I am talking core muscles).

Want2BVegan
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:50 PM
CC Can I be next?? I have some questions and would like to be analyzed!! (if you don't mind of course :) )

Spud Addict
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Wow. Thanks for starting this thread. :)

I am in desperate need to sort my diet out. I have been eating terribly for a while now, and am feeling the effects. I know I am iron deficient and need to be eating better, and have started to make more effort on the nutrition front. :o

This should help. Thanks, CC. :)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM
CC Can I be next?? I have some questions and would like to be analyzed!! (if you don't mind of course :) )
Go for it :D and you're welcome, Spud Addict! Please keep at your efforts to improve your health!

Spud Addict
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks, I will. I have just invested in a juicer to keep at work, so I can have lovely vegetable and fruit juices to get all my nutrients when I can't stop to eat a proper meal. :)

Want2BVegan
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks so much CC :)

First I am 5'4 and around 135-140 (varies day-to-day) I have lost 20 pounds since March 2005 since going veggie then vegan. I hate to admit this, but I am very unfit. I have a LOT of fat on my body, my belly is quite big....anyways... I don't exercise hardly at all (which I want to change). I'm not any "type" of body shape - I'm in the middle of apple and pear I guess.....most of my fat is in the middle and my upper arms/thighs.

Here's a typical day:

Breakfast - 2-3 fruits, a coffee with a tblsp of sugar and soy creamer. I'm bad on weekends - usually have spelt toast with toffutti cream cheese - today I had 4 peices of it!

Snack - a peice fruit usually, sometimes a muffin

Lunch - varies but usually a ww wrap with fat free refried beans, others beans, veggies and rice or a huge salad with swiss chard, spinach, peppers, mushrooms and pumpkin seeds with a vinagerette dressing.

Snack - (this is where it gets bad) potato chips or corn tortilla chips, or some leftover dinner, or chocolate, usually something salty or sweet and not healthy!

Dinner - beans and rice or pasta in tomato sauce/tomato soup or tofu stirfry with veggies or Veggie burgers and baked oven fries.

Snack - Again something bad - chocolate, chips, wine, crackers....always craving junk foods at this time :(

Ugh I know I need help and more planning.....I feel fat and am out of shape. I know I need to exercise. Thankfully we are getting a total body gym set-up next week, but I need cardio....

Thanks so much CC

Oh - I'm not allergic to any foods, the only ones I don't like are melons (except watermelons) I don't really know how to cook as well .....but am very open to learning! I'm so bad at drinking water to.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I think you crave sugary, starchy foods because your system is out of balance. Have you had any candida issues? If I were you, I would cut out sugars, refined starches and put in a good source of protein first thing in the morning! If you desire to have only fruit in the morning, add in a snack of nuts or seeds. You also need more veggies and beans/legumes! Kale, chard, broccoli, lentils, black beans, pinto beans etc. How about having a sweet potato with almond butter or tahini for a snack instead of the usual processed foods? I'll suggest more later; I need to go feel my Daughter :)

Want2BVegan
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks CC, great suggestions! I have no idea if I have any candida issues....how could I find that out?

What about a fruit smoothie in the morning with ground flax seed? What that be ok? I could use soy milk for a bit of protein or some soy protein powder....

At 1st snack I could have nuts and seeds too.

Peas'nHominy
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I tend to crave certain things during certain times of day, and feel strongly turned off to certain foods based on what time of day it is. I have no idea why.:confused:

When I first get up, I can't stand to have anything to eat or drink except coffee. Sometimes I want it black, or with Silk soy coffee creamer, or with Silk soy coffee creamer plus chocolate :o . I tried drinking water one morning, and at the first swallow I thought I would puke! The idea of food makes me feel yucky, too -- I usually have to wait anywhere between 1 to 3 hours before I can eat. :confused:

-I only want breads/crackers/oatmeal when I first eat, and it must be dry (without fruit or soymilk). And not the refined flours...I can't stand the thought of it yet at this time of day! :)
-Next I crave veggies with pasta/rice/tortilla/pita.
-Later I strongly desire seeds (salty and crunchy;) )and fruit (fresh, juice, and/or dried).
-In the evening, I LOVE proteins and veggies, sometimes with barley.
-I usually like to end my day with a cup of hot tea, after the kids are in bed and everything is finally peaceful and quiet!:D Once in a while I like to eat an orange with the tea (but for some reason, it can only be an orange).

I usually get a good work-out in, and I'm a freak about wanting to do it in the morning (after coffee, but before I can stand the thought of food yet). During the workout is when I start drinking water through the day. I typically do weights 3Xs week plus something aerobic 5Xs week (for at least 45 minutes). My build is the more curvy/muscular. I'm almost 5'5".

I do get a crazy sweet tooth sometimes. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is. I've noticed this happens more when I'm more stressed out. Some kind of weird relationship for me between sweets and distress.

I have a bad problem with eating too much one day, then hardly enough the next, and back'n forth. I don't plan it that way - I just get so busy I can forget to eat some days, 'til the kids are home from school and I fix their dinner. I'm usually grinding the crap outta my teeth by then, too. ?:rolleyes:

I'm all willing to experiment for a better plan. I would like to lose about 20+ pounds. (I know at least one culprit is the sweet tooth.)