PDA

View Full Version : What does the D mean?

Veggie4Life139
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:41 AM
I've found that on some food packaging there's a "D"...not circled, just a D, like the K for kosher. Does this D mean that there's dairy in it or does it mean it's diabetic friendly, or what? I'm really confused. Thank you!

Wildflower
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:42 AM
If it is kosher, the D means Kosher for dairy.

what is the product?

on edit - that doesn't always mean there is dairy in the product, it has to do with the handling and manufacturing of the product as well.

Wildflower
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:47 AM
D — Dairy
DE — Dairy Equipment (no actual dairy in ingredients, hence it can be eaten after a meat meal, but not together with meat)
P — Passover; Kosher for all year including Passover (Note: “P” NEVER designates pareve)

Pareve — Non-dairy and non-meat
Chalav Yisrael — Kosher supervised milk used in ingredients
Pas Yisrael — Jewish baked goods
Yashan — Not from current grain crop

non-dairy and non-meat can sometimes have gelatin. it is the discrection of the rabbi to determine how much of the meat/dairy/animal is still left in the finished product. most gelatin containing candies, etc still get pareve certification, but I believe all kosher certified plain gelatin is plant based.

FR
Mar 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM
D — Dairy
DE — Dairy Equipment (no actual dairy in ingredients, hence it can be eaten after a meat meal, but not together with meat)
P — Passover; Kosher for all year including Passover (Note: “P” NEVER designates pareve)

Pareve — Non-dairy and non-meat
Chalav Yisrael — Kosher supervised milk used in ingredients
Pas Yisrael — Jewish baked goods
Yashan — Not from current grain crop

non-dairy and non-meat can sometimes have gelatin. it is the discrection of the rabbi to determine how much of the meat/dairy/animal is still left in the finished product. most gelatin containing candies, etc still get pareve certification, but I believe all kosher certified plain gelatin is plant based.

Sometimes companies use a D even though the product contains no dairy. Clif Bars for example have a D on them when in fact they are dairy free and should have a DE on them instead.

Pareve is a strange labeling since it can contain some products of animal origin, like hen eggs, and sea animals.

As always, look over the ingredients before assuming that Jewish labeling makes a product animal free.

Tigerlily
Mar 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I always just read the ingredients. I think Canada has slightly different labelling laws too for kosher but we get a lot of US products--so it's all mixed up here.